it never was bad to begin with....the movie theatre never was updated when the next wave of stadium seating came in while the rest of the businesses depended on the traffic from the theatre

that Wal Mart does record business so I'm not surprised it's coming...

it never was bad to begin with....the movie theatre never was updated when the next wave of stadium seating came in while the rest of the businesses depended on the traffic from the theatre

that Wal Mart does record business so I'm not surprised it's coming...

I used to attend that theater when it first opened and continued to do so until Studio 30 opened. Since then, my theater of choice has been Edwards on Silber as soon as it has opened.

I kinda' wonder how much longer some of the older theaters (10+ yrs) have until they're upgraded or put out (or turned into) pasture.

I used to attend that theater when it first opened and continued to do so until Studio 30 opened. Since then, my theater of choice has been Edwards on Silber as soon as it has opened.

I kinda' wonder how much longer some of the older theaters (10+ yrs) have until they're upgraded or put out (or turned into) pasture.

Theaters do seem to have short life spans. In the 1990s AMC Meyer Park, River Oaks Cineplex and Cineplex Odeon Spectrum were all state-of-the-art and popular, but they are all gone now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any official word on what is going on at Meyer Park shopping center. Luby's is building a new location as a pad site in front of their current location. The AMC theatre is now a pile of rubble except for the front wall. Employees at Randall's say they are going to be unemployed in 2011 because that store is closing.

I am hearing rumors from the Willow Meadows folks that Wally World is going to build a new Super Center there. Also from Westbury and Meyerland Civic Clubs there is a reponse "we've heard rumors" to the Super Center. I've asked several real estate folks and they are worried about the impact on property values if this rumor is true.

Can anyone find anything official as to what is going on there?

Thanks.

Was Meyer Park once known as Meyerland Plaza?

• 3 weeks later...

I know some of the people that work at the Meyer Park apartments and they told me that the Wal-mart is going to be remodeled and not upgraded to a supercenter. As far as the Randalls they believe it is going to stay and yes of course there will be Kohl's

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

May 4 Update

Drove by this evening and saw Kohl's sign was up. Opening date I believe is September 25.

All of my sources are still saying the following--

• Wal-Mart is closing in 2012 and will be demolished. One of 2 things may happen--Mid-rise retirement center or possibly mid-size box store.
  • Academy is coming in early 2012. Still working out details on lease.
  • Chili's will be demo'ed
  • Blockbuster center is either going away or being renovated
  • HEB is in negotiations with developer to have a 99 yr land lease. The deal is bogged down because HEB wants a gas station and car wash, but the developer does not want this. If you recall when Randall's was being remodeled a while back their site plan had a gas station. But it was killed at the last minute by the developer for some reason.
  • At least 3 new restaurants will be built. Rumors right now are for Johnny Carno's, Cheddars, Olive Garden or Red Lobster.
  • I am also hearing rumblings of a CVS being built and possibly a Petco. A lot depends on HEB I think.

All of my sources are speaking in unofficial roles as employees. Rumors come true 98% of the time they say.

The strangest thing about this whole process is the developer still refuses to answer questions to the Willow Meadows, Meyerland, and Westbury Civic Associations. I know they don't have to tell anyone anything, but this will impact traffic flow and crime in the area. It looks like the developer would want to be a good neighbor and keep the citizens informed of the exciting events taking place.

Another interesting development is rumors from Trader Joe's personnel that they are shopping the area for a location.

• Like 1

When I was at BB they resigned their lease for at least another year....

as for Wal-mart....why close? That's a highly trafficked place and there's no other Wal-Mart until you get to Pearland to the east, west airport and 59 to the west, missouri city to the south and dunlavy to the north or now Silber and I-10.....its always packed so I doubt it closes unless they plan to move to vacant land nearby

Why did Chilis close?

Olive Garden would be safest choice as the closest one is OST and Main or 59 South...Carinos doesn't have much name value and Chedars would be choice #2

• 1 month later...

Checking in for the native thread.

@ DrFood: Thanks for the information. That would be awesome if it was all true.

@ hbcu: I agree. Walmart closing would be a profit-loss, in my opinion.

Does anybody have any renderings of the Luby's or the Kohls? Hermes Architects are doing the Kohls, but I could not find any images.

There is a project board outside by the feeder of 610. That should have a render on it :P

The Meyerland Plaza (blt. 1960's) theaters had a longer life than it's sister sites at Gulfgate & Northline. Not surprised the Meyer Park theaters are being demolished. The shopping strip never seemed to do very good business, as a whole.Napoli's was there once, left, and before that, that large drug store, sat on the west side. Luby's has always seemed to draw a consistent crowd. That Walmart is fairly new, surprised it would be rebuilt. I'm surprised about the Chili's. HEB is a good idea. What about Schlotsky's?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Does anyone have any official word on what is going on at Meyer Park shopping center. Luby's is building a new location as a pad site in front of their current location. The AMC theatre is now a pile of rubble except for the front wall. Employees at Randall's say they are going to be unemployed in 2011 because that store is closing.

I am hearing rumors from the Willow Meadows folks that Wally World is going to build a new Super Center there. Also from Westbury and Meyerland Civic Clubs there is a reponse "we've heard rumors" to the Super Center. I've asked several real estate folks and they are worried about the impact on property values if this rumor is true.

Can anyone find anything official as to what is going on there?

Thanks.

Aww that sucks. I remember when that theater opened around 1986.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
On 1/22/2019 at 8:49 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

The Catch is near opening. New seafood restaurant that replaced schlotzskys.

I heard Fuddruckers is closed. Not sure if that’s accurate.

I wonder if this Luby’s will be amongst the company shut down? 

Fuddruckers is closed. I pass by there on a semi-regular basis and it shut down sometime in November or December 2018.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...