New Dallas Developments

It sure looks like it snowed.

Ross Perot has been promoting an office tower of undetermined height in downtown Dallas, saying there are prospects from out of town he's trying to entice. If they're looking for new buildings, this one's as good as any.

Yea, that's what we've been talking about.U a Lil late to the party broda. j/k :D

Unfortunately, we only get little snippets of info here and there. HOK has finished preliminary designs supposedly and now Ross wants a contest of architects to see unique design. I personally want a 1,200 foot replica of Voltron. But that's just me. I'm confident he'll choose whats good for the city. We dont know if it will be 300m or taller. Who knows it could be taller or shorter. We want a supertall to call our own but if not they should at least make it taller than the BOA(921ft)

If they kept it SLIM they could easily hit that 300m(992ft). Did you know the BOA in Dallas is actually bigger than the Wells Fargo in Houston?....Square footage wise?. Yet the Wells fargo is taller because its slimmer.. They need to that with Dallas' next.

Yes its snowed yesterday! A whole 1.5 inches so of course the whole city had to shut down. :rolleyes:

I took a couple of pictures. Im glad it did. Thought we werent gonna get any this year. It might snow again later this week.

Edited by JasnoDTX

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the Museum Tower isn't empty because of the location. 

It isn't empty, but sales are very poor.

D Magazine reported in January of this year that only 34% of the building has been sold. http://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2015/january/museum-tower-condo-sales

Hopefully the developers of the new building have taken the glare into account, otherwise their balconies could be toasty. 

The new apartment tower will not get any glare from the Museum Tower it is situated south of the tower in fact it will benefit by getting shade from MT in the summer and in the winter from Trammell Crow Tower:)

Museum Tower will cast shade on its neighbor to its south??

IIRC the sun works differently in Dallas.  They're closer to the North Pole.

This comment is not a criticism - it's a celebration of our diversity.   :ph34r:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Trammell Crow promises the 2 new Met Life towers will not be "towering infernos".

The original curvy design was changed awhile back. Here is some interesting design specs for any of you glass geeks.

reflect.jpg

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/04/developers-promise-new-uptown-tower-project-wont-cast-a-light-on-nearby-neighbors.html/

The 2-tower Park District project planned by Trammell Crow Co. and Metropolitan Life Insurance will be built on the site of the Chase Bank drive through at Woodall Rodgers and Pearl Street.

The more than 900,000-square-foot development will include a 32-story residential tower and a 19-story office high-rise.

To get city planners to agree to an almost 30 percent increase in height for the project, the developers have worked to overcome any concerns that the glass exteriors on the towers will reflect light across the street on Klyde Warren Park and the Nasher Sculpture Center.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Making slim buildings doesn't make for efficient floor plates unfortunately. Developers, especially in Texas, love big floor plates which doesn't help with height. This site that Perot owns is also zoned for 1.5M SF 

Edited by Lospringer

Developers, especially in Texas, love big floor plates which doesn't help with height. This site that Perot owns is also zoned for an excess of 1.5M SF

Fixed it for ya.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/commercial-real-estate/headlines/20131106-perot-buys-downtown-dallas-corner-hints-at-grand-plans.ece

I see that it says zoned for more than a 1.5M SF building but that more than likely means +/- 10% or 1.5M usable area excluding parking. The 1.5 figure came from somewhere and there's no minimum zoning requirement requirement. They aren't going to be putting up a 2M+ SF tower there. 

I see that it says zoned for more than a 1.5M SF building but that more than likely means +/- 10% or 1.5M usable area excluding parking. The 1.5 figure came from somewhere and there's no minimum zoning requirement requirement. They aren't going to be putting up a 2M+ SF tower there. 

Okay. I can see where you're going with this. You don't want Dallas to have a supertall.......no matter what. We get it.

Personally, I'm so proud of what the city is looking like today 4/15/2015. Cranes up. Healthy amount of Highrises and other development going up.....just look at the above poster's maps and photos......that even if the Perot Tower is a 700 footer with a baddass design it WILL change the skyline and look gorgeous. The CBD will gain that thickness. I can't wait for it. Even if it's a 700 footer!

....But the truth is is that we do not know what the final design will be. We can only speculate.

Edited by JasnoDTX
  • Like 1

Excellent post fkp5. Saw that on SSC too. Almost was gonna post it myself. There's been lots D-Town development but I haven't been keeping up that much lately.

Oh and congrats on Austin's new Jenga Tower!

My first thought upon seeing the render was City of Capitals buildings in Moscow. :D

Edited by JasnoDTX
  • Like 1

Yeah, a friend showed this to me and asked me to guess what city this was, and honestly I couldn't tell this was Dallas at first glance. It wasn't until I looked more closely that I realized it was Dallas. The city has changed so much over the years. I'm glad that all of the major Texas cities are showing a lot of development progress in their cores. A lot of people don't seem to like the Austin tower, but I think it looks pretty good. It'll really add some nice height to the skyline. I hope Houston can follow suit and eventually get a 600+ foot condo tower in downtown in the near future.

Edited by fkp5
  • Like 2

Okay. I can see where you're going with this. You don't want Dallas to have a supertall.......no matter what. We get it.

Personally, I'm so proud of what the city is looking like today 4/15/2015. Cranes up. Healthy amount of Highrises and other development going up.....just look at the above poster's maps and photos......that even if the Perot Tower is a 700 footer with a baddass design it WILL change the skyline and look gorgeous. The CBD will gain that thickness. I can't wait for it. Even if it's a 700 footer!

....But the truth is is that we do not know what the final design will be. We can only speculate.

Ha why would you assume that? I wouldn't mind if Dallas gets a supertall I'm just being realistic. I have a little bit of insight into this project which is what I'm basing my previous comment on.

• Like 1

Ha why would you assume that? I wouldn't mind if Dallas gets a supertall I'm just being realistic. I have a little bit of insight into this project which is what I'm basing my previous comment on.

Apologies Lospringer. It's just that Im used to some of that friction on here(by some but not all) Your info is interesting. Thanks,

:ph34r:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

17083455777_7d24a770c4_b.jpg

dch526 via skyscrapercity:

25 story SkyHouse #2's height has been approved through the FAA

Looks like it should start construction in August

Determination PDF

Determined Cases for TX: Form 7460-1 for ASN 2015-ASW-2514-OE

Quote:
Work Schedule: 08/11/2015 to 11/30/2016
Quote:
Structure Height: 290
Quote:
Description of Location: Building located at NE corner of North Houston Street and Payne Street in Downtown Dallas, TX
Description of Proposal: 25 story High-rise residential rental apartment building with 336 units and ground level retail space.
There's a good chance that 4 (maybe 6) high rise projects could start construction in Victory Park (or Immediately adjacent) by the end of this year
1) Sky House (25 stories; 336 units)
2) Ascent (21 & 23 stories; 300+ units)
3) Cinepolis & Residential (20 stories; 256 units)
4) Katy Station (28 stories; TBD units)
5) Hines Victory Center (23 story office building)
6) Akard Place (14 story office; 20 story apartments, 300 units; both on 9 story parking)

• Like 3

Nice picture.  You know... I remember when Victory Park was started.

Everyone should note that it clearly takes a decade + for large scale urban renewal projects to materialize into true unique/identifiable areas.

• Like 3