Retail Center At 250 W. 20th St.

lowndes

Has anybody heard any plans for developments along 20th street in the Heights (thinking primarily between Studemont and Heights Blvd).  There seems to be several underutilized industrial type spots, car repair shops, etc. on that stretch.  I'd imagine something will eventually come in there kind of like what happened to White Oak but haven't heard much about it yet.

• Like 1

Has anybody heard any plans for developments along 20th street in the Heights (thinking primarily between Studemont and Heights Blvd).  There seems to be several underutilized industrial type spots, car repair shops, etc. on that stretch.  I'd imagine something will eventually come in there kind of like what happened to White Oak but haven't heard much about it yet.

There are already businesses there. What type of developements are you referring to? Those big nasty homes or more bars that serve craft beers? I havent heard of anything starting up around this area but it would just be another nail in the coffin if it were to turn out like WhiteOak. 

• Like 1

Most of the businesses seem pretty successful and probably aren't going anywhere anytime soon. The exception being the hand car wash an the SE corner of Shepherd and 20th. Those are generally just place holders waiting for a developer with a wheelbarrow of cash. 

The properties I've been wondering about are the site where the water tanks were removed. Will the city give up that land? Also, the Chase bank site. It would seem they could contract and free up a good chunk of that property. 

Edited by west20th

If the current rate of growth in the area is sustained for another few years, I think you will see redevelopment along 20th.  The tax burden is already getting a lot of industrial properties to pack up and move out.  Most are too small to mount a tax challenge and pay a hefty price to hang on to the prime real estate. 

But for now, the only thing I have heard about is a restaurant going in where Blockbuster used to be.  The City's property has to go through their process.  They first offer the property internally to other City departments and then put it on the market.  Probably looking at 18-24 months to get the property through the process and sold at auction. 

The real prize is the Death Kroger shopping center.  Kroger will hold on as long as they can to their lease, but once the lease is up, that property could get built up in a big way.

Thanks, I've been wondering about what blockbuster will become.  There are a few industrial buildings along there too that it seems as the area continues to appreciate in value that it would be hard to justify keeping them.  I can't wait for the day that Kroger becomes something better.  With it would become something other than Kroger but don't think that will ever happen.  Excited to see what goes in across the street on the land the baptist church sold.

Thank you Bullman! +1.

...btw, that car wash has been on that corner for over 30 years now. Hardly a place holder. The funniest part of all of this to me is the excitement of the strip center being built on the former site of the historic Baptist Temple sanctuaries. The both of them. Sickening, absolutely sickening. I bet that strip center doesn't play a beautiful bell arrangement once it's complete like the church did.

• Like 2

Thank you Bullman! +1.

I bet that strip center doesn't play a beautiful bell arrangement once it's complete like the church did.

I'll bet you are right, Purpledevil, although shopping centers with carillons is not unheard of (pardon the pun). There is The Carillon (actual name) at 10001 Westheimer and one at the corner of Wirt and Westivew.

I can imagine the various nail salons and washaterias on 20th eventually succumbing to gentrification. But there really isn't all that much commercial along 20th between Heights and Studewood, and most of the residential is already built out. I think N Main south of 20th has greater prospects for redevelopment, as it has more sizable low-rent commercial properties and vacant lots to take advantage of. Take for example Braun redeveloping 4721 N. Main, and all the growth/gentrification taking place in Brooke Smith.

according to the link below from braun enterprises one of the tenants will be a Zoe's Kitchen,not sure what else will go in the strip center, also the church bells will not be returning as they already tore down the bell tower they used to ring from, I guess if the neighborhood threw tons of cash the churches way(which im sure the church wouldn't have mind, lol) it might could have been saved.

http://www.braunenterprises.com/?q=Property/PropertyDetail&id=a906aff5-3005-3e9e-0da5-528fa51b92ec

What would the 20th Street Kroger become? Doubtful another grocery chain would move in with the inability to sell alcohol. Frankly, I'm fine with the Kroger. I think it could use a facelift, and yeah, it would be great if it could sell booze, but regardless I enjoy the convenience of a small local grocery.

If I had the capital I would turn the Sand Dollar or whatever that huge resale shop is on the corner of 19th into a movie theatre ala River Oaks. No, I'm not Mr. Death to the Locals, but since the nice Goodwill went in, I don't think these places within a mile of that GW are serving the purpose they once did.

• 2 weeks later...

whoa... whose house was this?  W. 20th at Ashland. surprised it's sitting in somewhat of a deteriorated state. The porch rail sections are missing. That's a huge property. 

Believe it or not, I think it's still occupied. I drive by it frequently and see lights on inside occasionally. 

I used to know the guy who owned it, but I haven't seen him in quite a few years. He and his wife got divorced, and she wound up with the house and is still listed as the current owner by HCAD. He did custom furniture building and antique furniture restoration, and given his skill in woodworking I suspect that the house wouldn't have lapsed into its current state if he'd continued living there. 

Every time I see it, I wonder when the owner's going to decide to cash out. It would be great to see it sold to someone who'd restore the house to its former glory instead of redeveloping the property.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

No exactly a 20th Street inquiry, but I've noticed two projects that I'm curious about. maybe someone can chime in and enlighten me...

1.) Corner of 20th/Studewood- dirt...and lots of it. right across from the defunct Blockbuster. Any idea what that's for?

2.) The big clocktower building is having some work done to the interior it seems. any clue? Would make a sweet loft apartment(s)

• The title was changed to 20th St. In The Heights
  • The title was changed to Retail Center At 250 W. 20th St.