Freedmen's Town Community

6gt6ngj.jpg

My isn't this just the most comfortable and enjoyable view this poor lady could have? She's what about 2 feet from car traffic, the gutter smell and gets lungs full of carbon monoxide each time an auto passes. Fumes must go in the house when windows open. How can people sleep with pedestrians walking by at all hours I mean right at your window?I bet if you asked her what she thinks she would explode. What can one see from here anyway an aluminum wall directly in front of you?

The only hope left is to lift & move any remaining (structurally worthy) homes and let the rest of this prison like community engulf whats left. Poor lady

Edited by Vertigo58

The idea of one house per lot furthers urban sprawl which will hurt any City and its residents in the long run, not to mention our dependence on oil. This is no more apparent than in recent times.

wow so neighborhoods like heights/westbury/river oaks/eastwood/pecan park/meyerland/etc hurt Houston? :wacko: so are you against parks which furthers urban sprawl too?

Edited by musicman

I like the colorful townhomes and the lovely old brick streets. This is a neat little pocket in urban Houston and don't you see enough cookie-cutter stuff these days? You know what I think, I think that lady enjoys watching the traffic and the people. I'm an old lady and I know that I would. She isn't even thinking about exhaust fumes or narrow streets. Go ask her if she enjoys sitting there watching the world go by. See what she says.

I like the colorful townhomes and the lovely old brick streets. This is a neat little pocket in urban Houston and don't you see enough cookie-cutter stuff these days? You know what I think, I think that lady enjoys watching the traffic and the people. I'm an old lady and I know that I would. She isn't even thinking about exhaust fumes or narrow streets. Go ask her if she enjoys sitting there watching the world go by. See what she says.

Yeah, I think you're probably right. She's probably perfectly content in her corner of the world. The irony in that photograph is of course the sign for new townhouse development - coming soon to this location.

Yeah, I think you're probably right. She's probably perfectly content in her corner of the world. The irony in that photograph is of course the sign for new townhouse development - coming soon to this location.

Oh yes, then she will have to move, I get your point. Now, that, I find sad because she won't be able to afford a new townhome. That is the downside to progress.

Oh yes, then she will have to move, I get your point. Now, that, I find sad because she won't be able to afford a new townhome. That is the downside to progress.

I'm a little ignorant to land acquisition when someone already has a home on it, like that lady. Does a developer go in there and just make an offer to buy the property that can't be refused? How is it acquired?

^i think all are assuming that the tenants are renting

if not, though, they might just want the $ incentive. i'm sure it is somewhat decent.

i used to live across the way from an older woman who owned a fourplex - she said a developer offered to buy her property and give her a unit in the condo-plex (?)...she refused. maybe she was stretching the truth, but she was very adamant about holding out as long as possible.

Edited by sevfiv

I'm a little ignorant to land acquisition when someone already has a home on it, like that lady. Does a developer go in there and just make an offer to buy the property that can't be refused? How is it acquired?

it is amazing what $$ will do.

it is amazing what $$ will do.

So maybe whining about about gentrification is blown out of proportion a little? Although I'm sure sefiv is correct in that a lot of those people leaving and probably complaining are tenants, not owners, whom have no choice.

The sign is actually for the townhomes across the street (also pictured in the original post).

When I walk though there, there are a number of sweet old ladys who are sitting outside, knitting, or just rocking and singing worship. It is quite amazing actually.

The last time I walked through with my client, an old lady was sitting on the porch of the pic below singing worship with so much joy. It was hot outside, she lives right across the street form a cemetery. She knew my client well and invited us up on the porch where we sang with her for a bit and simply enjoyed her company and the world. I never though I could have so much fun and feel so good just standing there.

54amft4.jpg

That is the mentality of most of these people. They see it as the world moving on and they don't dwell on it. If you ask me, we could all stand to learn a lesson or two from these folks.

Not just cheapo construction, but narrow halls, spotty lighting, and way too many units. When they go bad they will go bad big time. Think Gulfton squared.

It's too bad that apartment developers have given up on smaller complexes that could integrate better into single-family residential neighborhoods.

Hopefully large complexes will go condo. That should keep them from getting too run down. I'd be interested in one myself except they would probably want 250K+ for a 1,000 SF place.

For $250k I could build you a pretty nice 1300+ square foot home in that area.

Companies like Camden who are almost singlehandedly responsible for "Urban Warehousing" style apartment development are setting the MFH market up for a problem in the future. The only saving grace is that the market is cyclical. When apartments in Gulfton are being torn down, places like Camden developments will be downgrading their renters and new nicer complexes will start being built.

It is tough to see how some of these are going to convert though.

reverse white flight......4th ward was less than desirable at one time...people realized how far they moved out and hated traffic they decide to reclaim the easiest area possible close to downtown....unfortunately, with no zoning and greed, they let these developers drop anything down....one bad economic bust, those tin homes turn into urban jungles...this makes the projects in New Orleans look spacious...

a a black male, this teaches the value of ownership..you own the land, you have the power...you rent you get nothing..but no telling what kind of underhanded deals folks used to make blacks think they were owning instead of renting back in the mid 50s to 60s...

This looks like a fad to me.....

reverse white flight......4th ward was less than desirable at one time...people realized how far they moved out and hated traffic they decide to reclaim the easiest area possible close to downtown....unfortunately, with no zoning and greed, they let these developers drop anything down....one bad economic bust, those tin homes turn into urban jungles...this makes the projects in New Orleans look spacious...

a a black male, this teaches the value of ownership..you own the land, you have the power...you rent you get nothing..but no telling what kind of underhanded deals folks used to make blacks think they were owning instead of renting back in the mid 50s to 60s...

This looks like a fad to me.....

Much of the development is by black owned companies. The company I am working with, for example (that built the three pastel colored town homes, the retirement center and the row houses across the street) is working to make home ownership more accessible to those who it would have been out of reach of before. It is a mutually beneficial situation where a company can make money by helping others build wealth. This isn't to say that they don't make deals to help improve the area overall as well.

Much of the development is by black owned companies. The company I am working with, for example (that built the three pastel colored town homes, the retirement center and the row houses across the street) is working to make home ownership more accessible to those who it would have been out of reach of before.
so you're saying it is CHEAPER now? that is so not true. they are out to make a buck too. Edited by musicman

so you're saying it is CHEAPER now? that is so not true. they are out to make a buck too.

I didn't say cheaper. I said more accessible. They are building combination of $400k townhomes and low income starter homes.

I didn't say cheaper. I said more accessible. They are building combination of $400k townhomes and low income starter homes.

well to be accessible for the lower income people, cost the the main factor. what low income people are they targeting? what price approximately are you talking?

It is tough to see how some of these are going to convert though.

Agreed. The size and quality issues make conversion less likely, not more. Except for the new mega-complex along the Pierce Elevated, 4th Ward has had primarily townhouse development, unlike Midtown. I think that, and the narrow streets that limit traffic, make it a better bet in the long run to be a decent neighborhood.

Guest danax
the narrow streets are fairly crowded. don't even think about having a party.

BYOB (bring your own bike). B)

Cmon, here we have the ultimate pedestrian environment. If retail in the form of hip cafes and drink spots start popping up within the immediate residential zone, then the place will be very cool.

Cmon, here we have the ultimate pedestrian environment. If retail in the form of hip cafes and drink spots start popping up within the immediate residential zone, then the place will be very cool.

there's plenty of retail there now and you don't have to get out of your car. they deliver right to your window. ;)

BYOB (bring your own bike). B)

I always liked riding/walking through 4th ward because of the narrow streets and the brick ones. Seeing all the new development mixed with the old and historic buildings in 4th ward really give it a neat feel. Addind more cafes and small retail will make this place even better. Just hope they wont get rid of all the old buildings.

• 1 month later...
I always liked riding/walking through 4th ward because of the narrow streets and the brick ones.

they just had a story on 13 news where the neighborhood and city have come to an agreement to tunnel under the streets for installation of new sewer/water lines so as not to disturb the remaining bricks. the city said that within a few weeks the details will be engineered. they mentioned an additional cost of 500k vs the original plan.

Edited by musicman

Guest danax
they just had a story on 13 news where the neighborhood and city have come to an agreement to tunnel under the streets for installation of new sewer/water lines so as not to disturb the remaining bricks. the city said that within a few weeks the details will be engineered. they mentioned an additional cost of 500k vs the original plan.

Tunneling? Wow. Quite an expensive and unique move for Houston, and is an indication of a growing awareness and sensitivity to aesthetics, history and an intangible urban vibe :rolleyes: .

Really though, I think that they were scared to offend the black community, and rightly so.