East End Bayou Redevelopment

Riding my bike down buffalo bayou today and I ran across Buffalo Bayou Partnership working on the trails on the South side of the Bayou East of Jensen. They were clearing trees and preping for more bike trails. Also talking with them they have the contract to finish the trail on the North side and have access to KBR lots property. 

Other cool stuff going on is the boat racing down there.

post-12738-0-88438700-1398532883_thumb.j

post-12738-0-31310600-1398532895_thumb.j

This is beautiful. The botanical gardens should go along this area of the bayou

There are larger trees and a more rolling terrain above the bayou at the proposed Gus Wortham Golf Course site. Plans for the G.W. site also include a public park.with special features,such as a place to launch canoes or kayaks in the bayou.

That public park in the botanic garden is so much fluff, just like the botanic folks talking about a 9 hole golf course on site.  HBG plays to their audience, promising what they 'think' their audience wants to hear.

The golf course was a lie and the jury is out on the park.  AFAIK, city council has not voted on the garden at Gus issue so it's not a done deal.

Seems that Cathexis (KBR Lot) pissed off the city enough to make them move their River Walk plans just a little bit down the river. Annis really wanted the botanical garden there. I cant imagine what that would have looked like. Its such a beautiful Bayou over there. It would be nice if they could incorporate the trees into the future plans of that area, but I see them knocking a lot of them down to accommodate views.

Its still a beautiful bike ride for those that haven't been to that side. Maybe wait a few months for the trails to finish though.

Its still a beautiful bike ride for those that haven't been to that side. Maybe wait a few months for the trails to finish though.

I found the trails today while wandering around on my bike -- it is a nice ride and will be even nicer as work continues in the area....lots of empty land just waiting for things to happen !

I like how the bayou really widens up as it passes east of downtown.  It creates a quite different impression that most people aren't aware of.  

I think the area has a lot of potential ... and I hope "we" will realize that by guiding its development with an eye to the future, rather than just letting things happen piecemeal.

I like how the bayou really widens up as it passes east of downtown.  It creates a quite different impression that most people aren't aware of.  

I think the area has a lot of potential ... and I hope "we" will realize that by guiding its development with an eye to the future, rather than just letting things happen piecemeal.

I think that the widened areas are artificially wide. I know that ships would go right up into downtown. A lot of the land that homes are built on in the east end are built on dirt that was dug out of the bayou to make it wider. or so I've heard.

I think that the widened areas are artificially wide. I know that ships would go right up into downtown. A lot of the land that homes are built on in the east end are built on dirt that was dug out of the bayou to make it wider. or so I've heard.

My house was built on land that they excavated from the Houston ship channel... I'm on the West side off Washington... There are oyester shells in my dirt everywhere.

it will be interesting to see what the mayor/city decide on the new city planning agenda, and if they incorporate these areas along the bayou into the new development focus areas they are supposed to designate with guidelines for new development.

That is my understanding, as well. Quite a bit of dredging and a few oxbows were bypassed for ease of navigation. Low hanging tree limbs and vegetation were also a problem.

Still, whether it's natural or not, that stretch of the bayou has scenic potential.  I'm kinda worried that it will wind up not being developed to its highest potential, in terms of being a community asset.

Archived