Houston In The 1950s

Ashikaga

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember it clearly from when I was a kid. I haven't run across too many photos of it, but there's a nice color one I had never seen before here.

That was a really cool link! I never knew lightning had stuck one of the drive ins!

Oops I think this topic has spiraled into a drive in topic not Gulfgate of 1950's. :o

That was a really cool link! I never knew lightning had stuck one of the drive ins!

Oops I think this topic has spiraled into a drive in topic not Gulfgate of 1950's. :o

The Winkler Drive-In Theatre was right by Gulfgate on the corner of Winkler Drive and Flowers Street. I wish someone had a photo of it.

No way,

They would shoot out the screens and tag all over them. Society is no longer civilized. No Drive-In's could ever be the way they used to be. Insurance would be too expensive then owners would have to hire security (like Fort Knox).

People are just too insane. :wacko:

Maybe that's what could be done with the Astrodome. Inside, nobody could vandalize it. And it could stay open year-round. I remember most people didn't want to go to a drive-in theatre in the winter time or when it would rain.

Maybe that's what could be done with the Astrodome. Inside, nobody could vandalize it. And it could stay open year-round. I remember most people didn't want to go to a drive-in theatre in the winter time or when it would rain.

Imagine automobiles driving into the center of the old dome and watching a movie? May as well park your car in the garage close the garage doors and leave car runnning. Cough!, cough! Hee Hee just kidding! :D

Imagine automobiles driving into the center of the old dome and watching a movie? May as well park your car in the garage close the garage doors and leave car runnning. Cough!, cough! Hee Hee just kidding! :D

Yes, if someone wanted to commit suicide, they would simply go watch a movie and leave the windows up and the engine running.

OK, back on topic. How is business at Gulfgate today? Is it now a place that's slowly but surely becoming a ghost town? I've read postings on this forum of people talking about a lot of its stores having closed down.

that's the old gulfgate which was dozed about 2000 or so. the new gulfgate is holding its own currently.

quite sure the show boat has shut down due to lack of intrest

Not a chance, it's pretty packed most of the time, the wife and I use it for date night, we use to go to the drive in years ago. When the Showboat popped up we were thrilled. Nice place, well taken care of. Great location, 30 minute drive and we are there.

• 2 months later...

Heard all about it from mom & dad. Especially the music. They were young parents...mom says it was a neat period to grow up in. My dad and uncle had 57 chevys. Always talked about how fast those V8 engines were.

Let's see, you got 57T-bird, FilioScotia, H2B, and Redscare............ :blink:

Well... I'm going to my 55th HS reunion down there this November, so that will give you a clue as to my relation to that period. It was an absolutely wonderful period to "come of age" in. Wouldn't trade it for any decade since. My first car was a '51 Chevy, then a '56 Ford, and, most recently... what else but a '57 T'bird.

1955, St. Joseph's Hospital.

I can remember climbing a tree in our front yard with my older brothers and sister in the late 1950's just as the sun was setting just to watch the cartoons showing at the Post Oak Drive-In. Our house was west of Chimney Rock, but we still had an unobstructed view.

Does that count as "far enough back"?

I still remember watching Ike and his bald head on TV quite a bit..

Being I'm a 56'er, the tail end is all I remember. I remember

quite a few of the TV shows of the late 50's. Capt Kangaroo,

77 Sunset Strip, Gunsmoke, Wagon Train, etc, ad nausium..

I remember the beginnings of the space program pretty well.

I can remember watching Mercury launches and flights during the

day, with my baby sitter usually ironing clothes while I watched... :/

Course, that was in the early 60's. I was in school by the time JFK

was shot.

I didn't really keep up with music much in the 50's, but I remember

our record player would spit out Les Paul and Mary Ford, and

some of the big band stuff like Glenn Miller, etc.. I still remember

the album covers, and I can remember Glenn Millers "In the Mood"

playing quite a bit. I didn't know the name then, but hearing it again

in later years, I recognized it and found out what it was I heard back

then.. :/

• 4 weeks later...
Fed Mart moved in after Globe closed. That would have been around 1970 or 71? After Fed Mart closed they tore down the building and built a Mervyns.

I think Globe was there till around the mid 70's. I remember going to the store as a child. Fed Mart I think was around 78-79 because I remember buying 1979 Topps Baseball Cards there. I had a box still with the sticker on it.

I to saw that aerial photo and noticed the same thing, I lived in the Gulfgate Village Apartments from around 1961 to 1978, my Dad took slides back then and somewhere I have a slide of me at the crawling age before I could walk, and the Globe store is on fire in the background. There were some old fire trucks, and the firemen spraying water on the building, my mom use to tell me it almost burnt to the ground. So that was sometime around January 1962.

That Gulfgate Village Apt. complex had some beautiful old trees, last I saw, they were still there, behind the Wendys. Huge trees like those were very common throughout Pecan Park. The street before that, that the *bank is on, had a strip mall in the 1950's-60's, with a Olan Mills Portraits Studio, & a carpet store with a sign out front, (round, space age w/blinking? sticks), very 60's.

* I forgot, there are alot of banks around there now, the one I am talking about is maybe 4 stories, looks like an office bldg, st. is directly west of where the apts. & Globe were.

Plum Creek runs through there somewhere, and across Gulfgate.

Archived