Occidental Petroleum To Add To Houstons Growing Portfolio

cloud713

Great news!  But, AAARRGGGHHH, why does this city have no competent business reporters?

To clarify what is happening, Occidental Petroleum is indeed splitting itself into two companies.  It is not an "overall headquarters" that is moving to Houston.  There is no "overall headquarters" of two independent companies.  Each independent company will have its own headquarters.  The California operations are being separated into a new, independent, separately traded company, that will be headquartered in California.

The rest of the operations will remain in Occidental Petroleum Corporation, whose headquarters will be relocated to Houston. 

More good news:  This will be an additional Fortune 500 headquarters for Houston.  The down-sized Occidental should still have revenues of about $20 Billion.  That would rank it in the mid-100s on the Fortune 500.

Who is next?  Exxon or Chevron?   ;-)

You dont buy multi - million dollar downtown real estate like you're playing monopoly unless you're planning something BIG.

agreed, but i assume those 4th and potentially 5th towers would come after they built tower 3. Exxon has invested over a billion in its campus in Spring, and was in the ground way before Chevron (who still isnt even in the ground as they are delaying many of their projects).. the Exxon employee consolidation in Houston will be completed over the next year, so thats why i see them being the ones likely to move first. but like i just said, i see both of them eventually relocating HQ here.

My prediction of the next several pages on this thread.

1. Unsubstantiated rumors that Occidental is building downtown

2. Irrational exuberance over the unsubstantiated rumors that Occidental is building a signature tower downtown.

3. Rumor that Occidental is building in The Woodlands/Energy Corridor.

4. Denial

5. Confirmation that Occidental is building a boring mid-rise in The Woodlands/Energy Corridor.

6. Crushing despair/extensive wringing of hands.

7. Immediate move to discussion of unsubstantiated rumors that Chevron is relocating corporate headquarters to downtown and is building a signature tower in addition to previously announced plans. :)

i say Exxon before Chevron, (supposably Exxon is moving their HQ into Hughes Landing if that one article is to be believed) but both should eventually end up here..

I wouldn't consider the wood lands "here". It is quite removed from the city.

I had a gut feeling on this one. Wow!

Been rumored for ages. I knew it was real when a client of mine who in turn has occidental as one of his major clients told me last summer he was helping a senior occi vp house hunting bc of the impending hq move.

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Occidental Petroleum To Add To Houstons Growing Portfolio

Archived