Garden Villas Neighborhood Real Estate & Developments

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

these are the worst pics ever, but this house is very cool. Mistlite glass in the front, and large windows across the front. The best features arent shown. Sq footage and lot size cant be beat. Needs some work, but hey, its just wood..(no jokes on that one).

I obviously not a realtor..just want someone that knows a little about cool houses to move in

It is cute. I love the bathrooms! I always appreciate a post of an affordable modish home. I'm not looking to buy but thanks for posting.

these are the worst pics ever, but this house is very cool. Mistlite glass in the front, and large windows across the front. The best features arent shown. Sq footage and lot size cant be beat. Needs some work, but hey, its just wood..(no jokes on that one).

I obviously not a realtor..just want someone that knows a little about cool houses to move in

^Yeah, yet another listing of crappy cellular phone pictures. There's no address listed, but I think it is 7255 Sims Dr. (near Swallow St. on the bayou). Google streetview has better pictures :P

"Mistlite" glass...that's an interesting name, very fitting. I like to hear these mod terms. I'd forgotten how beautiful those tree-lined streets in Garden Villas are.

^Yeah, yet another listing of crappy cellular phone pictures. There's no address listed, but I think it is 7255 Sims Dr. (near Swallow St. on the bayou). Google streetview has better pictures :P

yup...that should be it.

"Mistlite" glass...that's an interesting name, very fitting. I like to hear these mod terms. I'd forgotten how beautiful those tree-lined streets in Garden Villas are.

There is a bunch of rehab work currently going on in GV.

My Aunt lived at 7105 Sims Drive. It was a beautiful 1 1/2 story colonial. Have no idea what it looks like now. I am very ill at the moment, but would love to see the house. Could someone who lives in GV go by and at least look at it for me and tell me what it looks like? You can PM me if you don't want to put it on this thread. I loved Garden Villas.

If its the one right in the bend coming off Santa Fe, its looks great. The new owners extended the porch a while back, replaced a bunch of bad wood, and enlarged the columns. Its much more "colonial" now that before. They are working on that thing constantly

Garden Villas does have a rural feel by design. It was developed by W.T. Carter who's Carter Lumber Co. established what evolved into Hobby Airport at the same time. In the 1920s when you purchased a lot in Garden Villas, the services of an architect were provided as part of the deal. The neighborhood was laid out around a community center that now has Garden Villas Elementary - originally a complete K-12 stand alone school. This is one of the very, very few areas of Houston that was designed as a little village to emulate River Oaks - not as what we now consider a suburb. Carter lived in River Oaks and wanted this to be an upper middle class version - it was no cheap development as all the street were lined with Pecan trees which the majority still remain. There is a very active homeowners society there and a surprising number of very long time residents.

And as for rural, one of the earliest ads for lots stated that the revenue from vegetables and yard eggs could easily pay the mortgage! There was a design for their own railroad station on the line running Mykawa Road and Highway 35 began as the service road for the telegraph later telephone line and is now popularly known as Telephone Road. Go the the 1940s terminal museum at Hobby and you can see early area photos as well as visit the Garden Villas website at http://www.gardenvillas.org

:rolleyes:

Garden Villas does have a rural feel by design. It was developed by W.T. Carter who's Carter Lumber Co. established what evolved into Hobby Airport at the same time. In the 1920s when you purchased a lot in Garden Villas, the services of an architect were provided as part of the deal. The neighborhood was laid out around a community center that now has Garden Villas Elementary - originally a complete K-12 stand alone school. This is one of the very, very few areas of Houston that was designed as a little village to emulate River Oaks - not as what we now consider a suburb. Carter lived in River Oaks and wanted this to be an upper middle class version - it was no cheap development as all the street were lined with Pecan trees which the majority still remain. There is a very active homeowners society there and a surprising number of very long time residents.

And as for rural, one of the earliest ads for lots stated that the revenue from vegetables and yard eggs could easily pay the mortgage! There was a design for their own railroad station on the line running Mykawa Road and Highway 35 began as the service road for the telegraph later telephone line and is now popularly known as Telephone Road. Go the the 1940s terminal museum at Hobby and you can see early area photos as well as visit the Garden Villas website at http://www.gardenvillas.org

:rolleyes:

We are relative newcomers to Garden Villas - 22 years. I believe that the reason for so many long time residents is the sense of privacy and "room to breath" that a 3/4 acre lot with an abundance of mature trees and shrubbery provide. The pecan lined streets are "tunnels of shade", temperatures inside the neighborhood are several degrees cooler than the surrounding areas. Garden Villas is ideal for all outdoor activities such as jogging, biking, gardening.

Note yard:

The value is in the land. which, at this moment , is rather cheap.

WVK

• 1 month later...

I saw the person selling this is pending on buying it for 59k.

6777 Pending Sale 7255 Sims Drive Houston 77061 $59,900 David Denenburg 713-922-709

So guessing someone can pick up this house for a little more that lot value.

• 3 weeks later...
this one has gone weird...now the back half of the lot is not for sale. The house and now very small backyard are. No price listed.

i am not sure which house this was/is (link seems dead) - but if it backs up to sims bayou then the lot sqft numbers on the tax rolls are not the "useable" sq. footage. This is a result of the very large flood control easements that were put in when they re-did the bayou in the 90's (i believe the easement is on the HCAD maps with a dashed line) .

They probably got tired of telling prospective buyers that you can't really use the back half of your property.

Archived