Garden Villas Neighborhood Real Estate & Developments

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Garden Villas is a very interesting place, I have lived there for 12 years. I absolutely love my yard and the trees and yes you do get almost completely oblivious to the planes. It's like an oasis in the middle of the city. Yes it has it's issues but the homeowners association is getting better organized again to handle the junk cars and the blighted properties. The neighborhood is unique to Houston due to the size of the lots so close to dowtown and the med center. All in all I love it there, and if I were staying in Houston there is no where else in Houston I would live. I just love having my own personal space. Besides the zoning in Houston is joke no matter what part of town you are in, you could have a ghetto next to river Oaks, oh that's right there is a ghetto next to river Oaks. You should check it out.

We are soon to be listing our home on Fauna. As much as I hate to leave the neighborhood, my work has me looking northward. We have been there for 12 years and absolutely love the neighborhood, and yes you do get used to the planes. Plus our lot has large number of trees so that helps with the noise. It has been a great first home for my wife and I, we put a lot of time, love, and sweat into it and will hate to leave it. You really feel like you are in a special place there.

Honestly I don't see the problem with verbal offers.... well, I do see the problem, and that is that realtors aren't trained to handle them, and the industry isn't set up for them...

I'm a ship broker and we regularly trade offers verbally first with email reconfirmation ASAP... we're talking $350k-$2million freight contracts that we've handled and this happens every day in our industry... contracts for our business are long and entail many more clauses and terms than real estate yet we're able to get this done... but you negotiate the money issues first and come to an agreement to those terms subject to final detail agreement... it is rare for a deal to fall apart at this stage since money items are dealt with... it is further ridiculous when comparing this to real estate since having an option period is now the norm...

as an outsider I think it would be prudent and professional of the realtor to entertain the casual verbal offer and try to come to some agreement or ballpark and then ask the buyer to submit a formal offer... but just rejecting it off hand does not seem proper to me and instead tells me that the realtor either is too lazy to deal with it on the phone, or likely isn't comfortable negotiating in that manner...

Just head east toward downtown, it is slowly but surely being bought out but it has been there since the early 1900's Freedman's town I now guy who lives in the new metal construction town homes and there is some pretty shady areas around there. It's not exactly "next door" but it isn't very far.

The area around College Cemetery is comsiderably closer to River Oaks than Freeman's Town; not sure what it looks like today, but until quite recently there were shotgun shacks off W. Dallas near Dunlavy.

btw, found this interesting article on Google; see Another Great Meetup article - is it true that graves are being disturbed to build new townhomes?

Shades of Poltergeist...

legally, in texas, a verbal offer, acceptance, or contract for a real estate transaction is not recognized. an agent, who has to abide by the law, cannot present a verbal offer, as no such thing exists.

basically, if you want to make the offer, make the offer. if they reject it, then you negotiate (or not).

thems the rules.

and with you being an agent, the sellers agent could easily get him/her self into a bad situation if they try to do something 'verbally'.

but not to hi-jack the thread, i keep thinking about garden villas, too. i like the size of the yards and some of the homes, and it's a good distance between downtown and the in-laws... but i lived in the IAH flight path, and didn't really get 'used' to it. i could 'deal' with it, but pictures falling off the wall from time-to-time is no bueno.

I haven't had any pictures fall off of the wall in the last 12 years. So it probabaly isn't as bad as IAH, we aren't directly under the flight path either. Also the largest planes coming in and out of there are737's, not nearly as loud as the big boys. We are selling our home there and moving closer to my work. (The Woodlands) The drive is getting expensive. Our home, our yard, and the neighborhood are going to be hard to leave behind we put a lot of time, love, and $ in the place.

Honestly I don't see the problem with verbal offers.... well, I do see the problem, and that is that realtors aren't trained to handle them, and the industry isn't set up for them...

I'm a ship broker and we regularly trade offers verbally first with email reconfirmation ASAP... we're talking $350k-$2million freight contracts that we've handled and this happens every day in our industry... contracts for our business are long and entail many more clauses and terms than real estate yet we're able to get this done... but you negotiate the money issues first and come to an agreement to those terms subject to final detail agreement... it is rare for a deal to fall apart at this stage since money items are dealt with... it is further ridiculous when comparing this to real estate since having an option period is now the norm...

as an outsider I think it would be prudent and professional of the realtor to entertain the casual verbal offer and try to come to some agreement or ballpark and then ask the buyer to submit a formal offer... but just rejecting it off hand does not seem proper to me and instead tells me that the realtor either is too lazy to deal with it on the phone, or likely isn't comfortable negotiating in that manner...

Dead wrong

• 3 months later...

Well the Wife and I are still looking within Garden Villa's for a home to purchase. We most likely should have put an offer on 6820 Cayton as that just sold and was out of the flight path. We have gone back and forth on 6335 Haywood but that fell through last night.

Does anyone have any info on the home at 6355 Haywood? We have driven the neighborhood for almost two years now and it always seems like someone started a renovation on the home and then quit and nothing seems to change on it. I know this home was sold on 10/15/2003 any info?

Hopefully some more interesting homes within Garden Villa's come on the market soon for us to look at we are ready to move!

Thanks All,

Scharpe St. Guy

Well the Wife and I are still looking within Garden Villa's for a home to purchase. We most likely should have put an offer on 6820 Cayton as that just sold and was out of the flight path. We have gone back and forth on 6335 Haywood but that fell through last night.

Does anyone have any info on the home at 6355 Haywood? We have driven the neighborhood for almost two years now and it always seems like someone started a renovation on the home and then quit and nothing seems to change on it. I know this home was sold on 10/15/2003 any info?

Hopefully some more interesting homes within Garden Villa's come on the market soon for us to look at we are ready to move!

Thanks All,

Scharpe St. Guy

FYI they are acquiring property for the expansion of spur 5 (renamed to SH 35) from the UH area approximatly parallel down mykawa to the beltway. The priest at the church (mt carmel) across sims bayou from garden villas stated that txdot has already made some offers to some homes near mykawa (closer to 610). to be honest i'm not sure of the exact route of the new freeway. a friend of mine works at txdot here and i'm sending him an email to see if he can provide any more info. the freeway access will definitely be helpful in the area.

i think garden villas' lots sizes and trees are primo!

so why are you moving from broadmoor?

My txdot friend just emailed me and and garden villas won't in the path most likely. they will be on the west side of mykawa south of sims bayou. The areas north of sims bayou are being studied at the moment because overbrook has been vocal and doesn't want its neighborhood to be altered again. they were hit pretty hard wtih the sims bayou expansion.

Musicman,

Mykawa would make sense if you ask me.

Broadmoor is a great little community very close to Downtown and UH. I grew up in the country pretty much always on a few acres and I miss the room. We also purchased/started a new business of water vending machines, 25cents = 1 Gallon. And hence would love to have a larger garage/workshop and place to work on them.

The house I purchased just over two years ago has to be one of the nicest ones in Broadmoor I would think and we have fixed it up really well. Wood Floors are being repaired, sanded, stained, etc... after who knows how many years of carpet over them next week. Someone will get a great home when we find the next home for us and a good deal.

I wish 7702 Alanwood was located on a larger lot. That seems to be a pretty neat house but no garage :-( I am really suprised that builders have not hit Broadmoor yet with new construction. Just a matter of time as there are plenty of empty lots and some homes that need to be scraped.

Scharpe St. Guy

I am really suprised that builders have not hit Broadmoor yet with new construction. Just a matter of time as there are plenty of empty lots and some homes that need to be scraped.

Scharpe St. Guy

They definitely are hitting the east side though...i was cycling near Blessed Sacrament church after my Villa Arcos fix and ran into quite a bit of construction. I remember some place called trails on sidney. Front faces converted traintrack now bicycle trail. just amazing how they get 4 homes on a lot that previously had one. Parking would DEFINITELY be a problem though if you ever had a party. says they were built by A&K Custom homes but urban living was the promoter.

• 1 year later...

A family member of ours lived there about 23 years ago and hated it. Its a nice nabe tucked away from the world but it is surrounded by sleazy Telephone Rd on one side and I think Mykawa on the other and worse yet, Bellfort. I recall that most homes needed serious leveling and I hate areas with ditches, looks primitive. Lighting is bad at night. The crime is way too close for comfort IMO. This sounds negative but its true. Its just too far from the year 2007. More like 1957 or around there. Its also very low lying.

Peace on earth, good will towards....Ciao! tante cose!

Tranquil looking neighborhood. Thanks for sharing the pics, WVK.

I think I drove around in there several years ago. Some neat homes backing up to Sims Bayou.

Potential flooding and the area surrounding it are certainly downsides. Home prices (this home, for example) for a neighborhood like this within 10 miles of the CBD are certainly an upside.

"Potential flooding." TSARP shows the entire neighborhood in the floodplain; large parts of it in the 100-year plain. As Vertigo58 noted, "It's also very low lying".

I agree with Musicman - ever since they widened Sims Bayou in 90's - flooding has been a non-issue.

And crime is not a problem either. I think GV has one of the lowest crime rates in Houston.

I personally like ditches...it lends a country feel in the city. Not to mention that they are more efficient at carrying water.

"Potential flooding." TSARP shows the entire neighborhood in the floodplain; large parts of it in the 100-year plain. As Vertigo58 noted, "It's also very low lying".

ive been going to a church in the area since the early 70's and attended school nearby. near to the bayou it used to flood along sims and haywood, but since the widening, they've had no problems. the capacity of sims has increased so much in that area that it is hard to describe.

as for vertigo's description of the crime , exaggeration comes to mind. i know quite a few people who've lived there for yrs. it definitely is a special area IMO because of the lots.

I agree with Musicman - ever since they widened Sims Bayou in 90's - flooding has been a non-issue.

And crime is not a problem either. I think GV has one of the lowest crime rates in Houston.

I personally like ditches...it lends a country feel in the city. Not to mention that they are more efficient at carrying water.

ive been going to a church in the area since the early 70's and attended school nearby. near to the bayou it used to flood along sims and haywood, but since the widening, they've had no problems. the capacity of sims has increased so much in that area that it is hard to describe.

as for vertigo's description of the crime , exaggeration comes to mind. i know quite a few people who've lived there for yrs. it definitely is a special area IMO because of the lots.

I'll take your word for it. I was largely going on the TSARP maps (those darker blues catch my attention). I know that Sims saw some considerable flood control investment and, based on another thread, that COH has done some drainage improvement there within the last few years.

I'll definitely add this to my "Hoods to Walk Around" list.

A family member of ours lived there about 23 years ago and hated it. Its a nice nabe tucked away from the world but it is surrounded by sleazy Telephone Rd on one side and I think Mykawa on the other and worse yet, Bellfort. I recall that most homes needed serious leveling and I hate areas with ditches, looks primitive. Lighting is bad at night. The crime is way too close for comfort IMO. This sounds negative but its true. Its just too far from the year 2007. More like 1957 or around there. Its also very low lying.

Peace on earth, good will towards....Ciao! tante cose!

Most folks like it here and stay forever. After 20 years we are considered newcomers. We are seperated from Bellford by Sims Bayou, there are no entrances into the neighborhood from Mykawa. Telephone road is improving, a new middle school school there cleaned out a LOT of trash.

Interestingly the recent new houses built or currently being built are in the 4-5000 sq ft range

WVK

as for vertigo's description of the crime , exaggeration comes to mind.

How could you possibly accuse Vertigo of such a thing! ;)

Garden Villas has some very interesting homes. A couple are in the Architectural Guide to Houston. Anybody remember this one that was for sale a while back and is now back on the market?

link

How could you possibly accuse Vertigo of such a thing! ;)

Garden Villas has some very interesting homes. A couple are in the Architectural Guide to Houston. Anybody remember this one that was for sale a while back and is now back on the market?

link

when felecia jeter was here....she lived in GV.

link

I've always liked that house, but as I recall it faces the ass end of a Whataburger on Telephone Rd. A rather glaring negative IMHO.

I've always liked that house, but as I recall it faces the ass end of a Whataburger on Telephone Rd. A rather glaring negative IMHO.

Yes, that and it only has 1.5 baths. I almost bought it when it was up before. All the remodeling they have done hasn't changed those two factors on this house & I am afraid the current owners have forgotten one basic principle in real estate. Bargain in, bargain out. The last owner had to discount the house to compensate for those issues and so will they.

Archived