Philadelphia's new 1121 foot skyscraper

Yeah, I have to admit a bit of jealousy.  59 stories, the bottom 45 of which are offices with a Four Seasons hotel taking up the rest.  This will be the tallest outside of NYC and Chicago.  Interestingly, Comcast is getting $40m in state and city financing.  The starchitect is Norman Foster.

Are they going to get out of the 900-footer they built a few years ago?

Edit: Guess so. I'm not a huge fan of the design, and Norman Foster is about 10 years past his prime. It sort of fits their skyline but I usually don't get in a jealous rage when the only way they can beat us by Height is from a Spire. As far as I'm concerned the the US Bank Building in Los Angeles is the only one that has us beat outside of NYC & Chicago.

Yeah, I have to admit a bit of jealousy. 59 stories, the bottom 45 of which are offices with a Four Seasons hotel taking up the rest. This will be the tallest outside of NYC and Chicago. Interestingly, Comcast is getting $40m in state and city financing. The starchitect is Norman Foster.

I guess mixed use is the way to get a tall building if you don't need that much office. We won't get the investment for that type of mixed use until we have a thriving downtown walking and retail scene. To have that we need these residential buildings to go up first. Paint the fence, Daniel san.

Congrats to Philly.. We already have 2 supertalls, so let them have theirs.. Hopefully we get another in the near future though. And will this be taller than the new wilshire(?) tower in la, or the new tower in San Francisco?

Yes Wilshire Grand is 1100' and Transbay is 1070'. Both have crowns or spires like this tower has. It's surprising this is only 996' to the roof but they threw that 125' spire on it and boom tallest building outside Chicago and NYC. If you look on SSP, they have models that actually show the roof line of the hotel is actually shorter then the other Comcast building that they completed like 5-6 years ago. I guess a rooftop restaurant will push it's roofline over the other. Maybe Chevron should slap on a spire haha

Lol I said the same thing a while back about Chevron (jokingly of course) in reference to atlantas supertall that's only like 50something stories with a tall spire/crown as well. It would be cool, but I don't think just any ornament crown would work for downtown..

and wow.. Comcast is literally reshaping Phillys skyline with the recent Comcast tower and this new one.

I had to laugh at this rendering of the interior:

comcastcentertech2014.jpg

The open laptop and the conspicuous issues of "Digit" and "Wired" tell us that - wait! - these are Tech Savvy people!  They understand "The Internet"!  And they are hipsters to boot!   :lol:

The accompanying article is just as breathless:

In short, this is what the future of the growing Comcast campus at 18th and Arch Streets will look like: Suits to the east, hipster engineers in cutoffs and flip-flops to the west.
 With this project, Comcast stands to reformulate the architectural imagery of the technology industry. An urban icon for the wired world has been long overdue.
The tower's simplicity is as potentially radical as Walter Gropius' Fagus factory was in 1913, because it recognizes that urban skyscrapers are not just for paper pushers, but also for collaboration and creativity.

I could go on and on, but here's the link:

http://www.philly.com/philly/home/20140116_Changing_Skyline__Comcast_tower_a_new_symbol_for_technology.html

Archived