1st Pasadena State Bank At 1001 East Southmore Ave.

SpaceAge

So we have the former Houston Downtown Post Office listed as a historic building by the state and then we go and implode this architecturally historic building in Pasadena?? I don’t get it. Other than Galveston, historic preservation here in this region is truly a joke. 

8 hours ago, EatSleepMOD said:

It was imploded today actually. Does anyone know what is going in it's place? Factual information....there are rumors of all kinds of things.

I doubt anything will be going in where the building stood.  The north side of Pasadena is economically depressed and is shambles.  The major retailers have almost all pulled the plug on the mall.  The strip malls and restaurants are on the low end of retail.  No one is getting into bidding wars to purchase residential real estate in that area. 

The city will pick up all of the rubble and leave the pavement/parking lot as is then put a lot for sale sign on it.  The only way some major investment in a structure will be made is if a local, state, or federal building is constructed in the site.  The demolition today was inevitable.  It was all about location.  If this building had been located in the Kirby, downtown, or Bellaire area it would have been kept well maintained, stayed occupied, and received Historic Building protection.  

I worked in Pasadena around 15 years ago and would see this building regularly.  It’s sad to know it is gone but the reality of the area made preservation/restoration impossible.  The asking price when it was on the market was super cheap for a reason.  

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, intencity77 said:

So we have the former Houston Downtown Post Office listed as a historic building by the state and then we go and implode this architecturally historic building in Pasadena?? I don’t get it. Other than Galveston, historic preservation here in this region is truly a joke. 

How do you preserve a building no one wants, and where there's no extra money? Should Pasadena or Harris County taxpayers pony up whatever it takes to preserve every building, regardless of cost? There is some economic reality here you aren't acknowledging.

• Thanks 1

She was a Grand Lady of Pasadena, Texas, Our 1st and most likely Last Skyscraper. Way to young to Demolish, she had decades of life left in her, had she had better and more caring owners. I fought for her for over a decade, to no avail.😢 We the Citizens of Pasadena, Texas will have to wait to see what if anything will take here place.

10 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Unlike some other Negative Neds, count me as one who is sad about the demolition of the bank. I loved looking at the building on our family shopping trips to Pasadena in the 70's and 80's. It had character. 

I wished more could have been done to rescue the building. 

I am going to assume you think I was negative. I didn't express any emotions about the demolition, just the realistic fact that without someone willing to buy the building, it couldn't be saved.  No one wanted to pay for preservation. I try not to get emotionally invested in property I don't own, which makes life much better than rolling up into a fetal ball every time some building I loved is demolished. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Abandoned Building In Pasadena
  • The title was changed to 1st Pasadena State Bank At 1001 East Southmore Ave.
  • The topic was unlocked