Gulfgate Roller Rink At 6839 Holmes Rd.

Ashikaga

well off the wall regarding skating rinks, there was one if you headed out down Beechnut as if you were going to Fame City Mall AKA now known as FunPlex. On the right hand side before getting to Fame City you would see the skating rink called Star Light Roller rink. It's not that anymore though I believe it's still a skating rink plus there is a skating rink also at FunPlex. You can find them at this address, yet the old star light location is not far from this same address:

13700 Beechnut Houston TX 77083

I also remember us going skating at a roller rink (1962-64) that I think was on IH-610 west of Gulfgate Shopping Center/Mall.  Was there such a place in that vicinity?  Or in this case, has my memory failed me?

Chet Cuccia

Depends where on Bellaire you are talking - Out in Alief there was a skating rink called Great Skate between Cook and Kirkwood - First place I ever held a girls hand

• 3 weeks later...

TJ we definatly ran in the same circles.

I was a rink rat at Tradwinds for many years. Every Friday and Saturday nights... we even stayed for the Late Session. This was early 70's. I broke my wrist during a race one Saturday when I was in 3rd grade.

When my sons were younger I took them there for a school party and could not believe how "funky" it was inside. Poor place really looks bad. I'm guessing there is so much asbestos in that building that it will have to be torn down.

There were two other rinks i went to in the 70's. I think one was called Rollertown way out westheimer by Hwy6. Believe me, back in the 70's that was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy out. Another really nice rink was on Pinemont,in NW Houston. I can't remember the cross street, but the building is still there.

I forget you are younger than me. I graduated Waltrin in 77. By 1982 I had already been married and divorced. (not something to brag about, but the truth)

But it still cool that we remember alot of the same things.

I graduated from high school in 1976. I found out that had I stayed in Houston, I would have attended Milby. Are you familiar with that school?

I graduated from high school in 1976. I found out that had I stayed in Houston, I would have attended Milby. Are you familiar with that school?

I have heard of Milby... but not familiar... what part of town?

Tradewinds is my old skating grounds. "ALL SKATE" and the next song will be "COUPLES ONLY".

:D

And the next song will be LADY's Choice.

• 1 month later...
I also remember us going skating at a roller rink (1962-64) that I think was on IH-610 west of Gulfgate Shopping Center/Mall. Was there such a place in that vicinity? Or in this case, has my memory failed me?

Chet Cuccia

just added this to the collection:

Edited by sevfiv

Wow I just found this site yesterday, this is cool talking to people that grew up around the same time and around the same place. I lived in the Gulfgate Village apartments right in front of the Globe store across Woodridge from Gulfgate from 61' - 78'. y'all have brought back so many good memories (whats left of them). I do remember the skating rink near telephone and 610 but only went there once. Will try to check for new post daily.

Edited by PCfixit

Thank you. I thought that I remembered one somewhere around there. Like I said, I lived in Houston from 1962-1964. Four stores stand out in my mind from Gulfgate Shopping Center: Weingarten's, Newberry's, the toy store in the corner, and the underground bowling alley. I remember my mother telling me that we couldn't go into Joske's or Sakowitz because those stores were for rich people.

Chet Cuccia

Found these in an old newspaper from 1963

1987d049.jpg

90c7eef1.jpg

Joskes.jpg

Edited by PCfixit
  • Like 1

the logo reads: "Roller Skating Rink Operators Association of America"

ggroller.jpg

Over here in the Beaumont area, there are very few roller rinks remaining. What about over there in Houston? Will they suffer the same fate as drive-in movie theatres? Will they someday be things of the past? Both skating rinks and drive-in theatres were the favorite pasttimes of my parents when they were young, and of my generation, too.

Found these in an old newspaper from 1963

1987d049.jpg

90c7eef1.jpg

Joskes.jpg

Like I said, can you tell me how to come up with those old newspaper ads?

as far as old print ads, i believe PCfixit owns the papers.

Also, Ashikaga, the libraries over there in Beaumont should have newspapers on microfiche...like they do here. You might luck out and find that they have the Chronicle or Post over there. Or you could take a road trip to the Big H. :lol:

the logo reads: "Roller Skating Rink Operators Association of America"

the logo is so patriotic and official looking...you'd never know that it was for a skating rinks association.

they must have thought they were doing their civic duty - keeping teens off the streets :)

Is the eagle wearing skates?

Like I said, can you tell me how to come up with those old newspaper ads?
as far as old print ads, i believe PCfixit owns the papers.

I have three papers that I have saved over the years, I use to have more but as many times as I have moved these three are all thats left. One that my dad had saved from the day after Kennedy was shot 1963 the Post and two, the Post and the Cronicle from the day after the first space shuttle disaster 1986, I also scanned some pictures from the back pages of my high school year books. What would be cool is if someone could find a old yellow pages from the 70's and post some ads with the exact locations of stores and restaurants, so we are not guessing. someone has a uncle or a aunt or even grandparent that is a packrat like me and is using one for a doorstop or just has it put away in there attic.

i have a city directory from 1955 that i can browse through, although it is a little before the times we have been discussing...

the problem with the directories, though, is that they are large and kinda hard to scan...

Edited by sevfiv

i have a city directory from 1955 that i can browse through, although it is a little before the times we have been discussing...

the problem with the directories, though, is that they are large and kinda hard to scan...

As most of you have heard me say all of the time, I'm still trying to find out information about a drive-in theatre that I went to with my parents when we lived in Houston from 1962-64. It was called the Winkler Drive-In Theatre, located on the corner of Winkler Drive and Flowers Street. I've been trying to find someone who might have a picture of it for over a year now, but no luck. But it would be nice if I could see its listing in either an old telephone/city directory and/or one of its advertisements in an old newspaper.