METRO Street Plan

Naviguessor

What about electric rail?

What about electric cars?

Either way the electricity has to come from somewhere. Currently, that's mostly coal-fired plants. Problem with rail, though, is it can carry a lot of people but only to a very narrow corridor. A car can go anywhere, including on the rail line if it's properly equipped.

What about electric cars?

Either way the electricity has to come from somewhere. Currently, that's mostly coal-fired plants. Problem with rail, though, is it can carry a lot of people but only to a very narrow corridor. A car can go anywhere, including on the rail line if it's properly equipped.

As of 2011, 79% of US electricity was generated by coal.

As of 2011, 79% of US electricity was generated by coal.

I think you were given a bad stat, cinco.

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=427&t=3

Energy sources and percent share of  total electricity generation in 2012 were:

• Coal 37%
  • Natural Gas 30%
  • Nuclear 19%
  • Hydropower 7%
  • Other Renewable 5%
    • Biomass 1.42%
    • Geothermal 0.41%
    • Solar 0.11%
    • Wind 3.46%
  • Petroleum 1%
  • Other Gases < 1%

• 4 weeks later...

I would encourage everyone to participate in local politics--by that I mean district level.  Maps and renderings aside, entities like the east end mgmt district do not have the money or taxing authority to fund projects like this on their own. I am continually amazed by the

" this is cool why isn't it built yet" crowd.  I would like to see it too, but transit and other quality of life issues especially for the working classes is hyper- local. At the neighborhood level,  sidewalks, sewers and bus stops trump streetcar visions. It's tough to get people, especially broke people,  to see a bigger picture, but you  just need to keep chipping away. Not online; in person.

• The title was changed to METRO Street Plan

Archived