Re-imagining Westheimer Rd.

Every community meeting I have attended wanted to SLOW traffic down on Westheimer!

Avondale Civic put in one of it's CIP proposals for a flashing yellow light at the Stanford/Westheimer intersection, hoping to slow traffic down for Katz customers that cross street to get to their cars.--it was denied-

One of the more interesting research (slowing traffic)brought up, was a study where all cross walks were paved in brick--nothing else was changed-- traffic slowed down as a result--whether the sidewalks were at intersections or mid-block.

I'm not sure If I posted this or not--The plans for renovation Westheimer/Montrose,  (retail/office/residential) a certain amount of public parking was expected to be in those plans. I wonder though-- If the block of Lovett behind Papa Johns, or the Block of Yoakum beside  half price books or even the Block of Lincoln beside Burger King couldn't be repurposed by COH into Parking.

A friend got into an accident by Kat's, I'm starting to believe that a speed reduction of 20mph might be necessary all the way to Dunlavy. 

I'm totally against parking on Westheimer, people will pop out without warning.  It's like a wierd version of "Whack-a-mole."

I know when I am on Westheimer at night, especially after 10pm on a Friday or Saturday night people seem to not have any understanding that they need to look around before crossing the street, I am happily creeping along in 2nd gear.

I am more inclined to teach them a lesson by judicious use of my 120DB horn when one steps in front of my car without looking, better than rearranging their internal organs with my car.

I find it ironic that people that live in Montrose want Westheimer rebuilt and also want people to drive slower, let the street continue to deteriorate, people will continue to slow down accordingly :)

I know when I am on Westheimer at night, especially after 10pm on a Friday or Saturday night people seem to not have any understanding that they need to look around before crossing the street, I am happily creeping along in 2nd gear.

I am more inclined to teach them a lesson by judicious use of my 120DB horn when one steps in front of my car without looking, better than rearranging their internal organs with my car.

I find it ironic that people that live in Montrose want Westheimer rebuilt and also want people to drive slower, let the street continue to deteriorate, people will continue to slow down accordingly :)

Get an air horn installed. They make you sound like a freight train and will definately wake people up. ;)

Every community meeting I have attended wanted to SLOW traffic down on Westheimer!

Avondale Civic put in one of it's CIP proposals for a flashing yellow light at the Stanford/Westheimer intersection, hoping to slow traffic down for Katz customers that cross street to get to their cars.--it was denied-

With lower Westheimer being served by the fire station located on Elgin in Midtown, I can understand why it was denied.

• 4 weeks later...

When I ate at Katz Deli a few years back, I'm pretty sure we parked across the street but didn't have any problems with crossing Westheimer. At least that's what I remember.

I cross Westheimer in front of Katz at least once a week. It takes forever. The traffic is so congested. Sometimes the traffic backs up from Montrose all the way back to Stanford.  A Caution light at Stanford would be a good idea.

Seems to me that if traffic is as congested as you say, the traffic would already be moving slowly due to the congestion. A flashing caution light would have no effect on the traffic, and would be of little use to pedestrians crossing the street.

There's better food at better prices during the day. The only time to go to Katz's is late at night when there is little traffic, and even then there are better options.

Katz's never kloses, but I sure wish it would.

I love their deep fried pickles....

Seems to me that if traffic is as congested as you say, the traffic would already be moving slowly due to the congestion. A flashing caution light would have no effect on the traffic, and would be of little use to pedestrians crossing the street.

Maybe you're right-- slower traffic is what I hoped for Westheimer anyway--I shouldn't probably complain  about the congestion- Most of my crossings are just after 7 on Thursdays.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that Westheimer inside the loop is too narrow for surface rail.  Personally, I think underground could work, but I doubt Houston would have the collective will (at least in my lifetime) to spend enough money to build it.  Elevated rail would be intermediate in cost, but there seems to be a general impression that it would be ugly and noisy.  But ... perhaps that's a hasty opinion based on impressions of older systems built in Chicago and elsewhere.  A few years ago, I visited Taipei (Taiwan) and thought their elevated system was rather nice.  Here's a pic (over a bigger street, but at least it gives an idea):

post-5759-0-28754600-1374345976.jpg

Westheimer would be perfect "Quickline" service from hwy 6 to I45. The Kirby and Montrose management district need work together to upgrade the woeful sidewalks and streetscapes, along with the city along the vast majority of the road. However, it is the Montrose part that needs to be a priority infrastructure wise. 

For that narrow part of Westheimer, you could reconfigure Avondale and have it carry the westbound traffic of Westheimer...you can even keep the street parking. Of course, this will inevitably make lots of people upset, but isn't that the spirit of redevelopment?

For that narrow part of Westheimer, you could reconfigure Avondale and have it carry the westbound traffic of Westheimer.......

no.

Just no.

That is highly residential and people would fly by there.

Besides, what would people do when they hit the dead en? That alone would be a major bottle neck.

The road will be extended to merge in with Westheimer, probably near Stanford. Demolition of a few buildings would be required. Speed limit would be 35 mph.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM? what on earth would Uchi's say about putting a road through their parking lots?

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

My first post on here, I've moved to Houston permanently last week but I lived here briefly in 2006.

I hadn't driven down Westheimer in a few years and was excited to see a lot had changed retail wise on the road since 2006.  Some of the older strip malls have been demolished between the Tollway and 610 making the street look a lot better than it did years ago (in my opinion).

I noticed a few things though that I think you have all mentioned!  The overhead services look terrible, some of the poles are leaning so far they look like they're about to fall onto Westheimer at any second :D  Also some of the height changes between Westheimer and the parking lots in front of the retail are so high you either (a) take off or (b ) have to slow down to sub 5mph to make sure you don't damage your car.  Actually think that's quite dangerous on such a busy road.

The state of the kerbing on the side of the road and the median is in a terrible condition.  That, the overhead services and the lack of trees makes a good chunk of the road seem dilapidated..  This is contrary to some of the great restaurants and retail in this part of the city.

I've just moved here from L.A. and parts of Westheimer remind me of Van Nuys which has some of the ugliest overhead services near where I lived in Los Angeles.

It's a real shame that Westheimer is in such poor condition as it's one of the main arteries of the city and could, with a bit of work, look much much better.

Glad to be here though :D

For that narrow part of Westheimer, you could reconfigure Avondale and have it carry the westbound traffic of Westheimer...you can even keep the street parking. Of course, this will inevitably make lots of people upset, but isn't that the spirit of redevelopment?

A better idea would get rid of two lanes of car traffic and make them bike lanes and on street parking.

I always think of there being two Westheimers with different characters and traffic requirements.  From Shepherd outbound Westheimer is a major thoroughfare so I understand the need for improved traffic flow.  The Montrose section (Shepherd inbound) should be left narrow and congested with street parking.  A wider sidewalk is a great idea.  Slow traffic on this leg will encourage pedestrians and retail.  Maybe change the name back to Hathaway...

As an aside, my understanding is that the Hathaway section of Westheimer (between Windsor and Elgin) was considered a separate, neighborhood street from Westheimer until the effort in the 1940s -1950 to create more cohesive cross-town traffic routes.  The same thing happened nearby when Montrose Blvd was angled to swallow what had been Lincoln St, and then extended via Studemont to Studewood. 

So does Hathaway-Westheimer even need to be a major through route?

To me, there are two Westheimers--Westheimer Parkway to Katy and Westheimer Road in Houston. To me, the uultimate Houston road is Bellaire/Holcombe, stretching from to 288 to Mission Bend, and that's only the drivable part. The "stubs" lead almost out to Fulshear, Texas.

It passes by lots of ethnic areas, and while it doesn't have as much commercial establishments as Westheimer, it's a great long road.

Of course, if you account the "alternate names" for Westheimer, it's even bigger. I was fascinated when I went to Houston in 2011 as I drove on the "same road" no less than three times...

- Going to Montrose to eat at Katz Deli

- Driving on Elgin to get back on the freeway

- Driving on Lockwood to get to the ship channel

Seriously though: I don't know how, but it's a shame that Westheimer Parkway continues west to parts unknown while Westheimer Road merges in with the highway...

• The title was changed to Re-imagining Westheimer Rd.

Archived