• Japanese
    • Mediterranean/Mideast
    • Steak for me, baby
    • Tex-Mex
    • Thai
    • Vietnamese
    • Gosh, I never go out to eat
    • Other

I like just about everything, which is not good for the wasitline when you pretty much have to eat out all the time like I do.

Some of my favorites are Mexican, Tex-Mex, Italian, most Asian (Viet, Chinese, Thai, Japanese, sushi), and seafood. Also really like Cajun but don't get it as much as I used to when I was traveling to Louisiana all the time for work. I also really like most German food (and it's American cousin, Pennsylvania Dutch), probably because of my mom's German/Dutch heritage.

Favorite is Indian, followed by Thai/Viet/Malay food.

Currently looking for a good indian spot. Indika isnt my bag and India Restaurant is good but not great.

Head to the intersection of Hillcroft and Harwin. You'll find a number of good ones: Raja Sweets has cafeteria-style meat and veggies ($4 a plate), Bombay Sweets has a vegetarian buffet ($4.99) as well as a menu, Sri Balaji Bhavan is vegetarian. Ashoka up the street (north of Westpark) is more pricy, but very good. There are tons of other Indian places within a block of two of that intersection that I've never tried. I believe Sheikh Chilli's is still open on Hillcroft a block south of 59, but I haven't been there in years. It was OK.

Something I haven't tried yet is Indo-Chinese food.

Forgot to put Cajun on the list! *smacks head* What are good places for that? I miss Treebeards downtown, but occasionally make it to Rajun' Cajun on Richmond.

There's a really good Indian place on Memorial and Dairy Ashford. Ashanti maybe? Also, around Kirby and Richmond there are three places. If you like the buffet Pavani has a good one, but the ones at Hillcroft and Harwin sound like a better bargain.

Ssullivan not too many people around here know about Pennsylvania Dutch food! Shoofly pie and chicken pot pie come to mind.

I do love cajun food. Mardi Gras Grill (formerly Floyd's) on Durham is fantastic. Also love Thai, Viet, Sushi. I love the soup nazi at Khanamwan on Telephone. His daughters are cute too.

And, of course, I could live on Lebanese food. Dimassi's is a great buffet. The Droubis do a good job at all of their stores. Lili's is decent. None beat my citti (grandmother), though. :)

I like a lot of Cajun places in town as long as they don't spice it up. Cajun Food is not supposed to be real spicy.

I know the Indian restraunt at Memorial and Dairy Ashford you are talking about.

It is really good and a little more than most restraunts.

I usualy only eat chinese when I'm really hungry and can take a simple buffet. Either that I go eat at Hollywoods behine South Beach in the Montrose area. I like some Vietnamese but not all also.

I guess I try to find dishes I like in all types so when a friend suggest some place I will know there is something there I'll eat.

I think floyd's cajun kitchen change owners.

It's called something else now.

Yeah, it is Mardi Gras Grill now, but same menu. Floyd sold it and went somewhere else, but bill collectors kept calling the Cajun Kitchen, thinking Floyd still owned it, so they changed the name to stop the calls.

Poor Floyd. Great food. But, storm clouds just follow him around. :(

The one thing I do like is how Houston's proximity to Louisiana allows a lot of authentic cajun and creole places to exist.

The diversity of enthic cultures also allow some many choices to be available.

A friend from DC came in last week and wanted Mexican practically at every meal since a mexican restraunt over there is pretty much a Taco Bell.

Yeah, it is Mardi Gras Grill now, but same menu.  Floyd sold it and went somewhere else, but bill collectors kept calling the Cajun Kitchen, thinking Floyd still owned it, so they changed the name to stop the calls.

Poor Floyd.  Great food.  But, storm clouds just follow him around.  :(

Yeah Floyd is down in Webster/ Clear Lake now, off of I-45. Went there to have crawfish one day and have to admit it was damn good. Usually I am picky when it comes to crawfish. The menu looked appetizing, wanted to try some fried catfish/ shrimp to see how good that is to really decide whether I like the place. Usually for those I stop by Steamboat Bill's in Lake Charles on the way back from a losing gambling session. Makes me feel better.

Ssullivan not too many people around here know about Pennsylvania Dutch food!  Shoofly pie and chicken pot pie come to mind.

That is very true. I always get my fix when I need to be up at my corporate HQ outside Philadelphia.

There's a really good Indian place on Memorial and Dairy Ashford. Ashanti maybe?

It's Ashiana at Dairy Ashford and Briar Forest. They recently leased out the space next door so they're expanding and remodeling the restaurant. I think I'll go back when its done because construction tends to interfere with service.

There's also an Indian place on Memorial, I think between the Beltway and the Loop. It's more gourmet than other places, and it looks like its in an old house. Indika, maybe?

• 3 weeks later...