Home At 905 W. 15 1/2 St.

JCR

Thanks for the memories of the last 10 years. From the now deceased old man Winfield who would stumble home from the old Birdocks Ice House on 15th and Prince sometimes with his pants soiled to the comings and goings of all your customers looking for their crack or heroin fix, and to the various drug arrests by HPD that never did reduce the drug traffic on our street. PS, I hope your associate is still enjoying my bicycle.

post-4294-0-04917400-1350257949_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 months later...

Several years ago one of the neighbors of the 900th block of W 15 1/2 St. organized a petition to reintroduce deed restrictions on our street in Shady Acres Annex.  The majority of the residents approved and new restrictions were reimposed.  The was done through city channels, a hearing was held and the city signed off on this.  The main point of the new deed restrictions was to keep out the high density townhome infestation on our street as all the housing is single family residence.

We did not want developers to be able to come in and subdivide lots for mutliple residences.

Well, the drug house was bought and torn down by a developer (See my earlier thread).  The giant mound of dirt in the front yard hides what is clearly two foundations for townhome construction.  There are no permits posted anywhere on this lot nor is there dirt retaining mesh around the mound. 

Does anyone know of a contact at the city to file a complaint, check the legality of what is being done?  I am pissed off to say the least. :angry:

post-4294-0-09929700-1365295229_thumb.jp

post-4294-0-54452700-1365295274_thumb.jp

Several years ago one of the neighbors of the 900th block of W 15 1/2 St. organized a petition to reintroduce deed restrictions on our street in Shady Acres Annex.  The majority of the residents approved and new restrictions were reimposed.  The was done through city channels, a hearing was held and the city signed off on this. 

Deed restrictions are not implemented at the city level. They are governed by state law and filed with the county.  

If you believe they are enforceable, you can file a complaint here.

http://www.houstontx.gov/legal/dr-complaint.html

Edited by musicman

Got a further clarification, it was not "deed restricted" but Lot Size, COH Ordinance No 2007-1061 that was approved for the 900 block of W 15TH 1/2 ST, Houston, Texas, 77008.  A neighbor has got the ball rolling with the permit office and Ellen Cohen's office.

We still have not heard anything from the city legal office other than they forwarded the info we provided to the planning/permitting group.  We did find out the owner/developer of 905 bought 901 next door.  I guess his plan was to build 4 townhomes total.

Congrats!  I am against arbitrary restrictions like those in the historic district, but I am all for maintaining the single family residential feel of the area!  This is how it should work....the neighborhood gets together and everyone, or at least a super majority agree, and you get something done!  The historic folks did not have the votes to go this route so they chose to just shove it down everyones throats!

Yes, your case in the Heights is a different issue.  We know our block will eventually be redeveloped.  As long as it is single family most here don't have a problem. 

So you would rather have a know drug house in your neighborhood adding to crime?

I think he would rather have a reasonable single family home built where a reasonable single family home previously stood.  I know I sure would.  I like townhomes to an extent, but they have their place - and their place is not mixed amongst a block of single family homes.  When a block goes out and agrees to lot size restrictions its because they do not want townhomes changing the nature of the neighborhood and adding the parking problems that townhomes add.

Nobody wants to live next to a drug house - but the area is changing fast enough and for the better - so much so that the drug house could not have existed for much longer.  Even drug house owners want money - and when the value rises they want to cash in on that.

So you would rather have a know drug house in your neighborhood adding to crime?

That logic no longer applies in the Greater Heights.  The market is so strong that if one builder/investor can't get the job done with a certain regulation or restriction, there are a line of a dozen others who can get it done. 

Your first post.  Welcome to the forum.  I guess it is no coincidence that this was posted on the lot today.

post-4294-0-22013100-1366238442_thumb.jp

Yes, in an attemp to be transparent.  I created a member Id of DMR.  I was hoping to better understand the concerns of the neighbors but as you can see they have been childish so far.  The project was permitted and approved by the City.  It was further cleared by legal after initial complaints were found not to have merit.  The proposed construction were not townhouses as you can not subdivide the lots.  Nothing was hidden.  The propery is in the flood plain.  The pile of dirt has to do with mitigation and detention required by the city.  I am sorry if a pile of dirt offended the people on the street.  No were else to put it.  It is gone now.  The City did find an ordinance that the project was not in compliance with and is being repermitted

Edited by DMR

That is him.  Dan told one of my neighbors that he was replacing the the single family home at 905 with another.  The difference would be the new one would have a detached garage in back and a garage apt. above.  That photo of the foundation doesn't look like it, does it?  They were informed about the existing ordinance long before construction was started but decided to engage in subterfuge nevertheless.  That photo from the top of the 7ft mound is one that I sent to authorities.  I was there when the inspector posted the stop work order that the Riley's have now removed.  The stop work order is still in effect.  The inspector told me if I or anyone sees any construction going on to call him and they will just pile on the fines.

Then some weeks back the Riley's solicited offers from some of the owners on our street.  I guess they have delusions of Heights real estate moguldom.  I have already requested from the Houston permitting/planning office copies of everything the Riley's submitted for 905.  I will post what I find on this forum.

No concrete has been poured.  The very front with the visqueen shows the two separate parking pads.  This is typical townhome foundation layout.  Since that photo the mound has been removed and both foundation are now covered with visqueen.