The Texas Classic: The new general issue license plate design

Eh, they're nothing fancy, but I suppose that's what TxDOT was going for, since I recall there were some who weren't fans of the 2009-2012 multicolor design. They kinda remind me of the black and white plates used from 1974 to 1985.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/New-classic-Texas-license-plates-hitting-the-3722339.php#photo-3214204

That is a big improvement over the current over-cluttered design. License plates don't need to be Artistic Statements.

I agree with you about it being an improvement, but disagree that license plates shouldn't have to be artistic statements. Even the most extreme of minimalist design (say, black Helvetica on a white background) would express a thought that transcends the content. Everything is an artistic statement, and everything encompasses nothingness.

To me, this is much bolder, more assertive, more masculine.

I agree with you about it being an improvement, but disagree that license plates shouldn't have to be artistic statements. Even the most extreme of minimalist design (say, black Helvetica on a white background) would express a thought that transcends the content. Everything is an artistic statement, and everything encompasses nothingness.

To me, this is much bolder, more assertive, more masculine.

I completely agree, and it's very fitting for Texas. That being said, a "little" color is okay: If they continue with the state flag design in the state outline, that would make it damn near perfect.

The main statement license plates should make is legibility. They are useless if you can't read them. I think the KISS principal applies here.

I agree. Somewhere along the line states decided that license plates needed to be mini-billboards for the states, and a lot just got carried away with the graphics.

well, it could also be that the states could afford to bring in really nice designs and colors, and now that things are tighter, they still charge the user the same, but reduce manufacturing costs by commissioning a cheaper design and cheaper manufacturing process, thus reducing debt :)

as soon as we are in the super happy days where we don't care about debt again, we'll probably see the super psychedelic license plates again.

edit: what would be cool though, when the day comes to commission another artist for a nice piece of art, use the schools to design, give an assignment to school art departments, have students submit designs for the new texas license plate, whatever commission would go to an independent artist instead goes to the schools of texas and maybe the winning artist would get a scholarship :)

of course, that would never happen!

Edited by samagon

I don't like the goofy custom plates that are permitted. Casual viewer should be able to tell at a glance whether it is a Texas plate without any distracting clutter. They serve an important purpose of allowing someone to identify the vehicle of a perpetrator of a crime.

This new standard plate looks good.

Edited by kylejack

i still miss the 90's one, mostly because of the space shuttle. as long as the numbers aren't cluttered with background colors and faded images, i don't see an issue with some distinct images on the edges that portray texas.

my_texas_license_plate.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, the best looking plates Ive seen are the black background "Lone Star" plates that a lot of people (including me) order as personalized plates. I wish that was our regular plate. This new one is definitely a step in the right direction, a lot simpler, but i like the extra bit of personality in the black lone star plate.

background.png

Edited by JJxvi

i still miss the 90's one, mostly because of the space shuttle. as long as the numbers aren't cluttered with background colors and faded images, i don't see an issue with some distinct images on the edges that portray texas.

That's the design I liked the least, larded up with Texas cliches as it was: the cowboy, oil wells, etc etc.

My favorite?

1962-Texas-AT2892-01.jpg

Didn't New York issue some retro-looking plates?

I had my first on the road spotting of The Texas Classic yesterday on I-10 on the way to San Antonio. Once in San Antonio, I spotted more Texas Classic plates.

That's the design I liked the least, larded up with Texas cliches as it was: the cowboy, oil wells, etc etc.

My favorite?

1962-Texas-AT2892-01.jpg

Didn't New York issue some retro-looking plates?

Here's what NY's plates have looked like since 2010.

New_York_Empire_Gold_License_Plate.jpg

Edited by JLWM8609

IMO, the best looking plates Ive seen are the black background "Lone Star" plates that a lot of people (including me) order as personalized plates. I wish that was our regular plate. This new one is definitely a step in the right direction, a lot simpler, but i like the extra bit of personality in the black lone star plate.

background.png

Yep.

This was my favorite design. Loved the shuttle, stars and the cowboy. What we have now is beyond ugly.

Edited by Subdude

I found an old Texas plate in my attic a few weeks back, if I weren't so worn out from my 15 minute prance around in the August afternoon heat that is an attic in Houston, I would have had enough energy to pick it up and take it out of the attic with me, but all it got was a forlorn glance as I stumbled to the attic access where I literally just tumbled out of the attic.

background.png

Yeah, this is the plate I have also. Goes well with a black coupe. Very classy, as are the new standard plates.