Happy Freedom over Texas!

KimberlySayWhat

Ugh! I accidentally hit the posting button before I was finished. There was more to that stupid title. It was supposed to say "This Year's Freedom Over Texas".

It was Houston's largest 4th celebration according to this article.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/070505_local_freedom.html

I watched it on TV and maybe I shouldn't say this, but I wonder why they had to put the most homely unattractive audience members on TV. This was supposedly broadcast state wide. I honestly don't want to be mean, but some of those people...

I just figured that when you headline the event with C&W music, you get unattractive, overweight fans. Sorry, if this seems stereotypical, but it seems the norm to me. Besides, if it went statewide, Texans are used to seeing other Texans that look like that. Probably didn't faze them at all.

We went to the event, but left around 7pm.

We went eat at PEI WEI at Waugh and Dallas, then parked by Guava Lamp and watched everything from the opent grassy area behind the American General Building. It's a perfect place to watch without paying $6.

Next year we're just going to bring some blankets right around 8:45pm and watch from that location again. We'll get a drink or two at Guava Lamp before we go out and watch the show also.

Well, that and the fact that the admission price was only about $6. Anyone could get in. I'm not being a snob or anything it's just that some of those people looked extremely hygienically challenged. It doesn't take a lot of effort to at least look clean. Thank goodness it wasn't nationwide.

Even so, I kind of feel I missed out. Country music is fine, but it's personally not my favorite genre of music. However, Lisa Hartman made an appearance, so I'm bothered that I missed out on seeing a real live "Knots Landing" actor in person.

Having to suffer through 2 and a half hours of Clint and Lee Ann for a couple of minutes of Lisa may have been more than I could stand. So instead, Some friends and I entertained ourselves with intoxicating substances until the fireworks started. Then we walked down the street (Heights) to watch.

Exciting day.

Yeah one thing that had almost intrigued me enough into going was the fact the Latin Band Oro Solido was opening up for Clint and Lee Ann. To most people, this means nothing, but apparently Oro Solido is one of the hot tropical bands and I can't think of anything to clash more with country than Latin music. Not to mention, I was curious to see if the different populations clashed in full. Would have been funny to see the Hispanic and country masses all in the same park.

A group of us had a little 4th of July party and watched it from the rooftop deck at a friend's place in Montrose. I was quite impressed with the display (we had the simulcasted music piped in through the outdoor speakers to get the full experience). The new "shaped" fireworks (square, happy faces, etc.) were really cool.

They billed it as the largest fireworks display ever for Houston, and I guess that was right. There was quite a crowd in the area, judging from the snarled traffic and the fact that it took 40 minutes to go 3 miles back to my place. *sigh*

Ugh! I accidentally hit the posting button before I was finished. There was more to that stupid title. It was supposed to say "This Year's Freedom Over Texas".

It was Houston's largest 4th celebration according to this article.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/070505_local_freedom.html

I watched it on TV and maybe I shouldn't say this, but I wonder why they had to put the most homely unattractive audience members on TV. This was supposedly broadcast state wide. I honestly don't want to be mean, but some of those people...

Yeah I know. It made us all look like a homogeneous mass of country bumpkins. And I'm sure they could have come up with better quality entertainers. Ugh.

hygienically challenged

Not sure what planet you are from, but in Houston, it was 100 degrees yesterday.

30 minutes in that heat and you can kiss your deodorant goodbye.

That being said, Freedom Fest is a white trash extravaganza. Always has been, always will be.

It's true Houston, baby!

With all this being said about our fireworks show, at least its not just us. My friend in Pittsburgh sent me his list of annoying people present at their show. Pretty funny, so I thought I would share. Not meant to be offensive for those easily offended.

1 - Mr. and Mrs. Negative. Everything was better last year, or in another town. Basically saying these fireworks were a glorified sparkler exhibition. "I should have gone to Johnstown - they have an orchestra play during the show". Yeah, you should go there, and stay there until the next flood comes to wipe you out. Also, they managed to rail on the city's budget and the general lack of intelligence of our city's politicians during this time too. (Which is true, but save it for the political debates, not my fireworks time).

2 - Mom missing her kid. This stupid b*tch was walking around aimlessly, standing in front of us while the show was going on. I finally ask her if she can sit down and she says, "No, I can't find my son so I have to stand up so that he can see me". Uh, what? First of all, way to go losing your son in a crowded, foreign environment. Nice parenting skills there. Second, if you can't control your kids, don't have them. Finally the idiot came back and the lady told me that she found him. Yay! I don't care. But thanks for sitting down.

3 - Team Video, Fireworks edition. I think these 2 were remaking Godzilla, Pittsburgh edition. Guy had a tripod with camera out, and focused and re-focused the thing every 2 minutes. The other one, who was of course taller, kept getting up, standing and smiling in front of the camera. It couldn't have been more typical. I finally had to ask him to sit his ass down too, and I think he understood English. Honestly, how many pictures can you take of the fireworks? Why the need for the tripod?

HM: Dad with kids that doesn't want to be there (cracking jokes, trying to make it somewhat fun, but mostly wishes he had a beer in his hand - pretty normal guy to me). The young punks - drinking beer and being loud. Pretty funny but annoying. The entire family type - there with 8 kids, grandma, and Uncle Ray Ray. I guess. Also: annoying kids running around with sparklers - an accident waiting to happen

Yeah one thing that had almost intrigued me enough into going was the fact the Latin Band Oro Solido was opening up for Clint and Lee Ann.  To most people, this means nothing, but apparently Oro Solido is one of the hot tropical bands and I can't think of anything to clash more with country than Latin music.  Not to mention, I was curious to see if the different populations clashed in full.  Would have been funny to see the Hispanic and country masses all in the same park.

uhm.... Just a little FYI but uh.... some hispanic people like country music too.

Not sure what planet you are from, but in Houston, it was 100 degrees yesterday.

30 minutes in that heat and you can kiss your deodorant goodbye.

I'm aware of that, but being sweaty doesn't always necessarily make you look dirty. I guess it all comes down to the redneck thing. There, I just said it. I couldn't get around it.

And I'm sure they could have come up with better quality entertainers. Ugh.

I wouldn't consider LeAnn Rimes and Clink Black poor quality by any means. It's not like they're one-hit-wonders or anything like that. But it would have been nice if it could have been more diverse. Why not have the Houston Symphony up there, too? Or Beyonce. Some pop, rock, R&B mixed in.

They billed it as the largest fireworks display ever for Houston, and I guess that was right. There was quite a crowd in the area, judging from the snarled traffic and the fact that it took 40 minutes to go 3 miles back to my place. *sigh*

In the promos they were saying that it's the largest land-based firework display in the U.S. Anyone know if that's true?

• 2 years later...
Stinks! With a city as diverse as Houston, why is it always such a predominantly country music event? Aside from a marching band, why is country music the only music considered patriotic?

It's all because of Lee Greenwood. B)

How 'bout an all blues lineup next year? That's all american music!

Stinks! With a city as diverse as Houston, why is it always such a predominantly country music event? Aside from a marching band, why is country music the only music considered patriotic?

Interesting question. Why IS it that way? And considering the feigned indignance in this thread, why is no one complaining on this subject?

When I lived in Fort Worth, they used to celebrate the way it is done in Boston. I've always found it strange that Fort Worth can put away the cowboys for a night, yet Houston cannot. Oh well, that's about all the outrage I could muster.

Happy 4th, everyone!

I agree there is way too much country going on in concerts here. Same goes for the rodeo. I know, it's a rodeo, but not that long ago I was going to see Bob Dylan, REO Speedwagon, Styx, and Bon Jovi. Now every year when I look at the lineup it's all country, some teen act, and maybe a couple I've never even heard of. But hey, if they sell out the shows they are doing the right thing. I don't have to like it. If I liked everything mainstream America liked, I would suddenly find myself a few (dozen) IQ points dumber. Good taste is often a selective thing, not a default mindset.

But a big HELL YEAH for America that we have to right to enjoy whatever our personal tastes lead us to. And of course the right to whine about whatever other people like.

Today's country, in my opinion, is more like redneck music than anything. I like some of the pre-mid '90s country. Like all the glitzy, campy Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton type acts. That's fun. I just can't stomach most of the country nowadays.

They should add the Houston Sympony to the lineup. Some pop, R&B, rock, jazz, yes even leave some country in there. Throw in a couple of oldies groups for fun. Something everyone can enjoy.

They really need some diversity in there. All country acts. REALLY boring. Get some R&B in there. I'm not sure rap would go well though, but I'm sure the country crowd would enjoy some John Legend. But, if you do bring in rap, you'll bring some diversity into the crowd. It was a winter wonderland tonight.

It was a winter wonderland tonight.

ha! I do believe that's by design.

For those people who didn't get enough red, white and yee-haw, there's Willie's picnic tomorrow. Although that's not so much commercial pop country as semi-commercial nuevo honky tonk, and old crusty dudes.

We celebrated the 4th in a singularly American way, watching horror movies. Rob Zombie's version of Halloween. The neighborhood fireworks are either slow getting started, or not happening this year. Only a few lame pops so far.

We celebrated the 4th in a singularly American way, watching horror movies. Rob Zombie's version of Halloween. The neighborhood fireworks are either slow getting started, or not happening this year. Only a few lame pops so far.

the gunfire starts later. stay away from the windows.

I enjoyed the Freedom Over Texas lineup with Los Lonely Boys about 2-3 years ago. I wasn't too familiar with them before then, but I thought they were pretty great. Nothing like a Texas based band doing a show in Houston.

"Freedom over Texas"? What a strange name. What does that even mean? :huh: Is there freedom in the sky?

Marketing honcho: Hey, we just got the Houston 4th of July account. Come up with a name for their party. Make sure it has 'Freedom' and 'Texas' in it.

College Intern: How about 'Freedom Over Texas'?

Marketing honcho: What's it mean?

College Intern: I don't know.

Marketing honcho: Let's go with it. Easiest 10 grand I ever made.

Marketing honcho: Hey, we just got the Houston 4th of July account. Come up with a name for their party. Make sure it has 'Freedom' and 'Texas' in it.

College Intern: How about 'Freedom Over Texas'?

Marketing honcho: What's it mean?

College Intern: I don't know.

Marketing honcho: Let's go with it. Easiest 10 grand I ever made.

Even better than that - Chevy's Freedom Over Texas with fireworks by Shell. Maybe next year they'll figure out how to work three companies into the name.

I did flip to that channel a few times, and when I wasn't asking my wife "who the hell is that?" since I don't know country and don't care to, I really enjoyed when they zoomed out and you could see the 2 trucks flanking the stage. For some reason the Team America World Police song came to my mind. "AMERICA, #*$% YEAH!!!" Next year it just needs to be a concert right in the middle of a monster truck rally with Dukes of Hazzard reruns on a huge backdrop behind it all.

Archived