Happy Freedom over Texas!

KimberlySayWhat

Marketing honcho: Hey, we just got the Houston 4th of July account. Come up with a name for their party. Make sure it has 'Freedom' and 'Texas' in it.

College Intern: How about 'Freedom Over Texas'?

Marketing honcho: What's it mean?

College Intern: I don't know.

Marketing honcho: Let's go with it. Easiest 10 grand I ever made.

Heheh. I could believe it. It was probably the same chowderheads that thought renaming the Houston International Festival "i-Fest" would be a clever idea. No doubt they are toiling away trying to come up with something equally inane for the East End.

I did flip to that channel a few times, and when I wasn't asking my wife "who the hell is that?" since I don't know country and don't care to, I really enjoyed when they zoomed out and you could see the 2 trucks flanking the stage. For some reason the Team America World Police song came to my mind. "AMERICA, #*$% YEAH!!!" Next year it just needs to be a concert right in the middle of a monster truck rally with Dukes of Hazzard reruns on a huge backdrop behind it all.

I flipped through it, too. I rolled on the floor laughing when I saw the big truck to the left and the massive SUV to the right. These guys are really up on their current events, aren't they.

^^Really! :lol:

But is there a way to email these folks? I think they need to work on the show. Better artists, etc.

Yeah, I was watching it on TV and we were talking about the lineup being a bit lame. Didn't we at least have a couple of top acts in the past?

I was less than pleased with the music. At least with the MOT, they mostly play patriotic music.

I agree that a better entertainment mix might bring a different crowd, but then there is always to possibility of urban friction when you bring too many unlike types together. Even though I live in what some folks call "red-neck haven", I try to stay away from large type mega gatherings like this, "Oh, the humanity!"

I agree that a better entertainment mix might bring a different crowd, but then there is always to possibility of urban friction when you bring too many unlike types together. Even though I live in what some folks call "red-neck haven", I try to stay away from large type mega gatherings like this, "Oh, the humanity!"

Urban friction? Who gives a damn. We need a mix of acts. It was all country yesterday, and the year before from what I remember. And I looked up those country stars, and some of their last albums were in 2005.

Today's country, in my opinion, is more like redneck music than anything. I like some of the pre-mid '90s country. Like all the glitzy, campy Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton type acts. That's fun. I just can't stomach most of the country nowadays.

They should add the Houston Sympony to the lineup. Some pop, R&B, rock, jazz, yes even leave some country in there. Throw in a couple of oldies groups for fun. Something everyone can enjoy.

I dunno, some events with older acts that were once A list act in the "hey day" in events like this would seem like a last resort act. I don't much care for oldies coming back to perform unless they can make themselves relevant again, without some silly reality TV show. *cough* Bret Michaels *cough*

Pumapayam:

I dunno, some events with older acts that were once A list act in the "hey day" in events like this would seem like a last resort act. I don't much care for oldies coming back to perform unless they can make themselves relevant again, without some silly reality TV show. *cough* Bret Michaels *cough*

Oldies appeal to a wide audience. They could have some popular bands from the '60s-'90s. People would eat it up. That in addition to whatever's popular at the moment as well as different genres of music. Sounds so much better than what they put on now. They constantly boast about how it's "the largest land based fireworks display in the country". That's not so impressive with the selection of music that goes along with it. I'm not sure I want the whole country to know. It's kind of embarrassing. They could and should do better with a city as big and diverse as this one.

Trae:

^^Really!

But is there a way to email these folks? I think they need to work on the show. Better artists, etc.

I was wondering the same thing. Who would we e-mail?

This is the only website I could find:

http://www.houstontx.gov/specialevents/cfot/index.html

I'd love to send them an e-mail if we can find one. We all should.

The obvious people to express dissatisfaction to would be Chevrolet, KTRK-TV, Shell and Budweiser, and, most importantly, the Mayor's Office of Special Events, listed on the bottom of the website.

I agree with the criticisms of the narrow appeal of the music but much 'country' today is actually more pop and bubble gum than real country. Seldom have we had a top name act for an event like this and the budget probably precludes it. FWIW Houston is the biggest country music market in the country and up and coming country artists, second tier acts and slightly passe artists are usually eager for a chance to get an audience here. The biggest name acts would rather come to town when they can do a big arena or stadium show and control everything and make a lot more money. The Rodeo played a part in proving to country acts that they could fill up huge stadiums and now some of them won't touch it for the money the Rodeo is willing to pay.

Chevy undoubtedly sells a lot of trucks to country music fans and they're just maximizing the bang for their buck. I doubt if many oldies fans, at least the kind of oldies I like, would be interested in standing around in the heat and humidity for hours to see a brief review of acts.

Re: the Rodeo. It's all about making money. If they could sell out the stadium presenting a review of Broadway show tunes between the calf roping and steer wrestling, they would.

• The title was changed to Happy Freedom over Texas!

Archived