Houston to receive $15 mil from DOT for eco-friendly infrastructure

Pleak

Didn't see this posted anywhere else.

To be used for hike and bike trails, sidewalks, bikeways, etc.

http://blog.chron.com/txpotomac/2012/06/houston-to-receive-15-million-from-department-of-transportation-for-eco-friendly-infrastructure/

I thought the below quote was interesting:

"Houston has the largest number of bike commuters in Texas, according to a joint press release from the representatives. "

I would have assumed it was Austin with their eco-hippy reputation. Maybe it's just sheer size that puts Houston over the top. Dunno.

$15 million? That's nothing, especially in these times.

But I'll take it, good for Houston :)

True, can't really stretch that too far in a city like Houston but every little bit helps. It would be nice to see some sort of network start to develop around town that connects pedestrian/bike friendly areas better but I don't really know how you would accomplish that without dumping incredible amounts of money into altering existing thoroughfares.

I thought the below quote was interesting:

"Houston has the largest number of bike commuters in Texas, according to a joint press release from the representatives. "

I would have assumed it was Austin with their eco-hippy reputation. Maybe it's just sheer size that puts Houston over the top. Dunno.

Take a drive down Bellaire Blvd and you'll see bikes tied up everwhere, especially near and behind restaurants. Nobody really talks about it but I suspect the largest bike commuting community in the Houston area are Hispanic workers in restaurants and elsewhere. I wonder if that is even taken into account in the by the folks putting out the press release.

Probably not. Like everything else, riding a bike is not cool if it is one's only means of transportation, It is only cool if one chooses to ride a bike when he has other choices. Of course, those restaurant workers do not demand brand new trails to be built for them either. They simply do what they need to do to get to work. New infrastructure only gets built when us self important types demand it.

Good points that do get ignored around here. One question that brings to mind - somewhat related. I read on a thread here that I would never find again that places like the Gulfton apartment sprawl actually have very low Metro ridership. This seems counterintuitive. Pretty high density area, lower income, seems like it would be ideal for bus ridership. Why the discrepancy?

Is it underserved?

Are the bus routes poorly designed?

Or is it a cultural distrust of anything official?

Good points that do get ignored around here. One question that brings to mind - somewhat related. I read on a thread here that I would never find again that places like the Gulfton apartment sprawl actually have very low Metro ridership. This seems counterintuitive. Pretty high density area, lower income, seems like it would be ideal for bus ridership. Why the discrepancy?

Is it underserved?

Are the bus routes poorly designed?

Or is it a cultural distrust of anything official?

it's true that the buses are underused given the density. it's also true that the area can be considered underserved by the # of buses/routes/schedules available. there are lots of walkers and bike riders, but it's also true that there doesn't seem to be any lack of sufficient private cars/trucks in Gulfton all heading in a zillion different directions each work day, just like every other neighborhood in the Houston metro area.

hard to imagine that a primarily foreign-born Latino population would distrust "official" bus transportation, since govt owned bus systems are packed in every country in Lat Am.

when the light rail eventually passes by there, it will be interesting to see the ridership #s out of the Gulfton barrio. The Univ Line doesn't seem to offer much in the way of terminal destinations for a primarily lower working class population.

of course when the Univ Line finally gets built in the 2030s (according to the latest from Greanias) the area may have gentrified back toward what it was in the 70s/early 80s. ;)

$15 million? That's nothing, especially in these times.

But I'll take it, good for Houston :)

What about $25 million, then?

http://blog.chron.com/houstonpolitics/2012/06/houston-to-get-federal-money-to-connect-hike-and-bike-paths/

The head of the Federal Highway Administration is scheduled to join U.S. Reps. Gene Green and Sheila Jackson Lee at noon downtown to announce more than $10 million in federal funding for Houston to be used to connect its fragmented system of hike and bike paths.

Ah. So does that money then HAVE to be used for hike and bike paths, or can Houston funnel it into METRO?

For some reason, I was thinking "highways" when I clicked on this link and wondered if they managed to make some sort of bio-degradable highway. Unrealistic, but it could happen.

These grants usually have strict guidelines that would prevent diverting hike and bike funds to a rail line. But, you miss the bigger problem. The grant is being awarded to the City of Houston. I'll let you figure the odds of METRO convincing the City of Houston to give them any funds at all, even if it were legal to do so.

I really hope this means they finish some of the bike trails that the city has clearly just stopped working on such as the Houston Heights trail near UH-Downtown and a few parts of the Brays Bayou trail.

I'd guess that a fair number of Gulfton residents work in the construction industry and their jobsites aren't always accessable via Metro.

I don't think the argument that the area is underserved or that the residents do not use transit in Gulfton is accurate. 4 of the top 5 busiest METRO routes run through or beside Gulfton. 7 of the top 10 busiest routes run in or connect nearby to Gulfton routes. 10 or more routes run through or along the borders of Gulton. Compare that with the Heights, which has 7 rather low ridership routes serving a much larger area.

These grants usually have strict guidelines that would prevent diverting hike and bike funds to a rail line. But, you miss the bigger problem. The grant is being awarded to the City of Houston. I'll let you figure the odds of METRO convincing the City of Houston to give them any funds at all, even if it were legal to do so.

I thought METRO was the mass transit division of the City of Houston, or do I have something wrong?

It is its own entity, funded by a 1 cent sales tax in its coverage area. All of Houston is in the area, but also parts of the County and other municipalities. Houston appoints a majority of the METRO board, but does not otherwise control it.

For some reason, I was thinking "highways" when I clicked on this link and wondered if they managed to make some sort of bio-degradable highway. Unrealistic, but it could happen.

I would argue they already have bio-degradable highways. Have you driven on 59S around Sharpstown Mall (excuse me - El Mercado) lately?

• 1 month later...

Has been brought up in several previous sessions, never gets enough traction.

Yeah - I know. One can always hope. Especially if it gets more attention. Maybe enough pressure could be put on the right people.

Nah - probably not.

Has been brought up in several previous sessions, never gets enough traction.

METRO management and Ann Clutterbuck looked at me like I was nuts when I suggested a better use for the Westpark ROW (including the continuation of that ROW to Montrose) was a linear bikeway/walkway/park from the Hillcroft TC to the Museum District and Red Line, while the Univ Line should stay north of 59 to the Hillcroft TC rather than passing through the rider desert from Weslayan to S Rice in Bellaire.

don't think walkers/bikers would get anybody's hackles up in Sunset Terrace, Southampton, etc along that ROW the way the prospect of a 21 hr/day train rumbling by every few minutes does.

guess it depends on how you define "transit."

Archived