Many Proposed Midtown Mixed-Use & Multifamily Developments

lockmat

Niche, problem is that once rail entered Midtown, property owners along it started to ask crazy amounts of money for their land (there are still plenty of hold-outs). Developers DID move to Midtown, but further away from the rail line on lots they could turn a profit with. Now that the neighborhood isn't the warzone it used to be, it's making sense to spend more along the rail (hence the Independent Arts Collective that will be built, Camden and Midtown building the Superblock this year, the Continental Club guys bought the buildings across the rail line and plan to build parking garage, retail, etc.) Yeah, Camden didn't build the super block right away... but they sure were busy building other apartments in Midtown.

Also, rail has helped bring more residents to the neighborhood. It was a deciding factor in why I bought on the east side of Midtown instead of over on Washington or anywhere else in the loop. My neighbors have said the same thing.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Niche, problem is that once rail entered Midtown, property owners along it started to ask crazy amounts of money for their land (there are still plenty of hold-outs). Developers DID move to Midtown, but further away from the rail line on lots they could turn a profit with. Now that the neighborhood isn't the warzone it used to be, it's making sense to spend more along the rail (hence the Independent Arts Collective that will be built, Camden and Midtown building the Superblock this year, the Continental Club guys bought the buildings across the rail line and plan to build parking garage, retail, etc.) Yeah, Camden didn't build the super block right away... but they sure were busy building other apartments in Midtown.

Yes, I completely agree. I explained all of that.

Also, rail has helped bring more residents to the neighborhood. It was a deciding factor in why I bought on the east side of Midtown instead of over on Washington or anywhere else in the loop. My neighbors have said the same thing.

The townhome trend really took off in that neighborhood at the end of the 90's, long before the light rail would've been considered an amenity. That was true of most other inner-city neighborhoods as well, however. Then, in the mid-2000's right after light rail opened up, the momentum previously enjoyed by east Midtown abruptly shifted to the east downtown warehouse district...again, before light rail could've been considered an amenity over there. I think that there are now more townhomes over there than there are in Midtown (excluding that out-of-the-way portion of Freedmen's Town, which obviously has lots of townhome and also no rail).

So yeah, I don't doubt that there is a market for TOD. Its just that the market size, existing at this confluence of desire/product/price seems rather limited. And besides, since when are townhomes TOD? Is 20 units per acre of usually-ugly single-use residential really what we are rooting for?

The very first townhomes I can remember going up in Midtown were around 1998. However, the VAST majority of townhomes that have risen between downtown and the museum district went up after 2001 (when ground was broken on the light rail line).

What else rose after 2001?

Calais at Courtland Square, Camden Travis, Citiplace by Farb, The Ventana at Midtown, the Rushmore Lofts, the Ellie Lofts, the massive City Promenade townhome community, Post Midtown additions, the Venue, and so much more.

The light rail validated the early pioneers like the guy from urban lofts (metal homes) and Post Properties and made it much easier for the others to follow. The main issue with development right along the rail was speculative pricing that often meant the numbers simply wouldn't work in a city like Houston.

The very first townhomes I can remember going up in Midtown were around 1998. However, the VAST majority of townhomes that have risen between downtown and the museum district went up after 2001 (when ground was broken on the light rail line).

What else rose after 2001?

Calais at Courtland Square, Camden Travis, Citiplace by Farb, The Ventana at Midtown, the Rushmore Lofts, the Ellie Lofts, the massive City Promenade townhome community, Post Midtown additions, the Venue, and so much more.

The light rail validated the early pioneers like the guy from urban lofts (metal homes) and Post Properties and made it much easier for the others to follow. The main issue with development right along the rail was speculative pricing that often meant the numbers simply wouldn't work in a city like Houston.

Sure, blame speculators instead of light rail. If we're going to attribute higher light rail ridership to rail bias (in spite of lower average velocity, less route flexibility, and huge up-front capital outlays as compared to buses) and support light rail on that basis, then we also should acknowledge that rail bias is observable in other ways...which should include land speculation that suppresses development...and then, only following a corridor that has been hollowed out by the devastating impact of the construction activity (unless METRO engages them in a cash grab).

I've always wondered how speculators can keep these properties for so long, given Houston's high property taxes. Doesn't it really eat away at land value appreciation? Some people put gravel parking lots as placeholders, or Mini Storage, but there are just so many large lots in Midtown. Oh well, at least they're helping cover the cost of my city services.

OTOH, in a way it's nice that the TOD zones were not immediately developed -- due to high speculative prices, the train sounds hurting development, or whatever theory you like. It let other areas of Midtown fill in, which might bump up the density of the TOD parcels when they are eventually developed. The TOD isn't coming in as risky pioneering investment, but instead into what has become an urban neighborhood with solid fundamentals and proven demand. Does anyone know how big the Camden Superblock is going to be? Again, going back to the OP in this thread, there is alot of really cool TOD stuff coming online very soon.

And yes, Midtown has many townhomes. I think they're pretty great. But there is still plenty of land that is available for development or redevelopment. Established townhomes provide a basis for taking the next step up in density.

(For these purposes we'll just define TOD as within a few blocks of Main St.)

• 1 month later...

http://www.bisnow.co...deal-sheet-502/

"Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston purchased 3303 Main St, a three-story, 39k SF office building in Midtown. The sale involved the leaseback of PrimeWay Federal Credit Union’s branch bank and motor bank, which will remain on the location for a short term. Zieben Commercial Properties’ Alan Zieben repped seller PrimeWay (with legal representation by Womac & Associates’ Brian Womac) and NewQuest’s Jeff Hayes and Tal McIver repped the buyer (with Boyar Miller’s Brad Scarborough)."

http://www.bisnow.co...deal-sheet-502/

"Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston purchased 3303 Main St, a three-story, 39k SF office building in Midtown. The sale involved the leaseback of PrimeWay Federal Credit Union’s branch bank and motor bank, which will remain on the location for a short term. Zieben Commercial Properties’ Alan Zieben repped seller PrimeWay (with legal representation by Womac & Associates’ Brian Womac) and NewQuest’s Jeff Hayes and Tal McIver repped the buyer (with Boyar Miller’s Brad Scarborough)."

ok, this is going to be Interfaith Ministries corporate offices and they will add a conference room to the bottom floor. They said there are some design changes but nothing structural.

I heard they also purchased the block to the northeast of this. They must be pretty flush with cash!

I spoke to the director of development and he first said they were building a 2 story food distribution center before he said, "oh, you are talking about the primeway site, that will be corporate offices..."

Maybe they will be building the food distribution center on the lot you are talking about.

That would make sense with what I heard.

Now, I know this is insensitive and horrible, but this news underscores one of the trends in Midtown that has grown over several years - social services. Is it just me or is anyone else concerned that Midtown is/has become Social Services Row?

Now, places such as the Men's Center (which is growing), Lord of the Streets, Search homeless center, and U.S. Vets (also substantially growing) are invaluable resources to the community and do incredible and necessary services for their constituents. However, lumping them all together in one part of town, THE section that is also attempting to become the transit-oriented, urban, walk able, Portland-esque, mixed use wet dream of a neighborhood, probably won't help the cause any. If anything, it just scares prople/developers away.

That said, the area is still (slowly) gentrifying, despite all the social services. I guess we'll see how it all plays out.

Now, I know this is insensitive and horrible, but this news underscores one of the trends in Midtown that has grown over several years - social services. Is it just me or is anyone else concerned that Midtown is/has become Social Services Row?

They don't concern me as long as they run a tight ship and ensure the surrounding areas are clean and safe. For example, people were freaked when the San Jose clinic announced they were coming to Midtown... yet they do a great job of keeping the area clean. The larger concern with these businesses is that they are tax-exempt from paying into the TIRZ, so in essence Midtown loses out on tax revenue that it uses to pay for additional security and improvements in the neighborhood.

All these bloody soup kitches and charity BS should be moved over to Katy and/or wherever that new light church and their ilk are located. NOW!!!

What gives these scum the right to serve vagrants right next door to decent people's homes and families? Nothing.

Now, places such as the Men's Center (which is growing), Lord of the Streets, Search homeless center, and U.S. Vets (also substantially growing) are invaluable resources to the community and do incredible and necessary services for their constituents. However, lumping them all together in one part of town, THE section that is also attempting to become the transit-oriented, urban, walk able, Portland-esque, mixed use wet dream of a neighborhood, probably won't help the cause any. If anything, it just scares prople/developers away.

That said, the area is still (slowly) gentrifying, despite all the social services. I guess we'll see how it all plays out.

I share your concern because the social services in combination with the Greyhound aren't helping matters along Gray/Webster. Just like the section 8 compound on Allen Parkway is holding back parts of 4th ward.

This is bad news for Midtown. The idea is to run the vagrants out of this part of town, not seduce more to come. Who's going want to build an expensive home or restaurant next to a soup kitchen. Sad day for Midtown.

Gee, let me think about if I'm more sympathetic about people getting something to eat or expensive homes.

First World Problems

I can confirm that the other block is for the food distribution site for Meals on Wheels. Their current site is far away and very run down, and they wanted it to be close and in better shape for multiple reasons.

I don't see a bunch of vagrants around their current location on Montrose. People can't go there for freebies unless they are having an event. they are a mobile soup kitchen if anything, i don't see a concern. As long as they are keeping a building occupied and up to date, i don't see what people are complaining about.

i don't see what people are complaining about.

The type of people these places tend to attract. Take a drive on Gray just west of 59. Most of the facilities are nice enough, but sometimes it's like piloting your car through a slalom course to avoid the bums wandering around.

The type of people these places tend to attract. Take a drive on Gray just west of 59. Most of the facilities are nice enough, but sometimes it's like piloting your car through a slalom course to avoid the bums wandering around.

I guess we'll see.

I don't think Gray and 59 is a fair comparison. I drove by there every day for a year (my wife worked on Brazos and Crawford) and rarely saw anyone. of course with the shelter and kitchen there people probably gather later in the evening, but IM doesn't have any programs like that.

They are building on an empty lot, and adding conference space. If you're thinking this will be like SEARCH, it is not.

There are several new townhome developments that are currently being framed out. The vagrants are an irritation but not a major issue. Every week people go through my trash, or ask me for a handout, or ring my doorbell trying to "sell magazines." The only thing that really pisses me off is when, har har, they piss on my property. But to be frank, you just develop a blindness to it. I just don't know why these service providers are so keen on holding such high dollar property. Maybe it's part of an investment strategy as much as for the space.

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.

The social services like midtown because it is centrally located, next to transit options, and more affordable than downtown proper.

I lived in the South End of Boston for 12 years. It's located just to the South of downtown Boston (Financial District) and is the home to the Boston Med Center (think Ben Taub), multiple affordable housing projects (Tent City, Methuen Manor, Cathedral, Villa Victoria), the Red Cross, Salvation Army, and many many more such agencies. It's also home to $5 million townhomes on Union Park Street, the finest restaurant in the city on Tremont St, and is the HOT place for empty nesters to move back into the city.

Another example? Check out what happened to Hell's Kitchen in NYC and what is happening in the Lower East Village right now.

Inner cities everywhere are becoming a place for the rich and the poor while the middle classes get priced out to the suburbs, outer loop, Queens, the Valley, etc...

Light rail killed Midtown for years. We moved to Midtown in 1998, and there was a bunch of activity there and Downtown. Then, the road and rail construction started, and all the new businesses went out of business, and it was impossible to get around. As for the Med Center folks, I am not at all happy that we spent hundreds of millions of dollars on the light rail just to make their parking situation easier. That ought to be the responsibility of the hospitals, not the populace as a whole.

I guess we'll see.

I don't think Gray and 59 is a fair comparison. I drove by there every day for a year (my wife worked on Brazos and Crawford) and rarely saw anyone. of course with the shelter and kitchen there people probably gather later in the evening, but IM doesn't have any programs like that.

They are building on an empty lot, and adding conference space. If you're thinking this will be like SEARCH, it is not.

Alright then I'll take your word for it. Really it doesn't directly impact me, I'm just hoping for the sake of any surrounding businesses that it doesn't become a problem.

There are several new townhome developments that are currently being framed out. The vagrants are an irritation but not a major issue. Every week people go through my trash, or ask me for a handout, or ring my doorbell trying to "sell magazines." The only thing that really pisses me off is when, har har, they piss on my property. But to be frank, you just develop a blindness to it. I just don't know why these service providers are so keen on holding such high dollar property. Maybe it's part of an investment strategy as much as for the space.

True, I think those of us who live in the area learn to live with the panhandlers. What I fear, is that people who come to midtown to spend money and enjoy themselves in the new developments and aren't familiar with or knowledgeable about inner city landscape get hassled and don't want to come back. I have certainly seen it happen while sipping a beer at Komodo and while it is somewhat humorous to watch, it's not what I want people's image of midtown to be. I don't think anyone really enjoys being asked for money while they're eating dinner on the patio at Blackfinn, Cyclone's, etc.

We'll see what happens. Anything is better than empty/rundown lots though.

Light rail killed Midtown for years. We moved to Midtown in 1998, and there was a bunch of activity there and Downtown. Then, the road and rail construction started, and all the new businesses went out of business, and it was impossible to get around. As for the Med Center folks, I am not at all happy that we spent hundreds of millions of dollars on the light rail just to make their parking situation easier. That ought to be the responsibility of the hospitals, not the populace as a whole.

You are in denial if you don't think Midtown hasn't become a better neighborhood after the light rail was constructed.

Many people ride light rail to places outside the Medical Center.

True, I think those of us who live in the area learn to live with the panhandlers. What I fear, is that people who come to midtown to spend money and enjoy themselves in the new developments and aren't familiar with or knowledgeable about inner city landscape get hassled and don't want to come back. I have certainly seen it happen while sipping a beer at Komodo and while it is somewhat humorous to watch, it's not what I want people's image of midtown to be. I don't think anyone really enjoys being asked for money while they're eating dinner on the patio at Blackfinn, Cyclone's, etc.

We'll see what happens. Anything is better than empty/rundown lots though.

I used to live in Clear Lake, and knew when i was coming downtown (or midtown on rare occasions, as there wasn't as many places to visit back then) that I would have to deal with stuff like that. Luckily I have never run in to a situation that was anything more than annoying. But you're right, a lot of people don't realize that this comes with the territory, and one bad experience could deter someone from coming back to midtown.

Hopefully IM won't bring more in, the people that work there are excited about having their distribution close by (yes I am a little bias having a friend that works there) and making their operations for taking food to homebound seniors more efficient. Technically the only people that come to their building are refugees that are here legally through the State Dept, and are there by appointment.

This is a thread about Midtown, so I'm going to ignore that your interpretation of successful TOD is evidently that a hospital on Fannin builds a new tower along the same block of Fannin, or that an apartment developer used one of the two or three sites large enough to build new apartments on in the Museum District (and not the Wheeler Transit Center site) to build apartments.

The largest structure to be built along light rail in Midtown is the CVS Pharmacy, whose drive-through backs up to light rail while the front entrance points toward Fannin. I declare FAIL on you.

Another datapoint is Camden Property Trust. They have owned the superblock since what, the year 2000. They've developed over 1,300 apartment units on various sites in Midtown during that time period, but not the superblock. Their basis should be low enough in the property that they've got no excuse for waiting if light rail is such a compelling amenity. (Developers didn't wait on Discovery Green, after all. All it took to get an apartment tower going was the City's commitment that it would move forward; not even completion.)

Other than that, I know that there's a ratty old Days Inn from the 60's that got repositioned as subsidized housing for homeless veterans. That's the biggest thing that's happened along light rail in Midtown and I won't deny that light rail has been critical to its success, but it certainly doesn't aid in any kind of urban renaissance for the neighborhood.

Camden Property Trust makes its own decisions about what to build on the Superblock. That has nothing to do with anything. Venue Museum district is Transit-Oriented Development. The rail line was a major progenitor in its development and in other residential units. They all list rail as an amenity. So you can declare fail all you like, but it doesn't make your logic any less flawed. The rail line has made a positive economic impact on Central Houston.

The soccer stadium isn't in Midtown either, but you can be damn sure that they brought that stadium to central Houston in large part because of the planned rail line. They could have built it out in the burbs like many other cities, but they chose to put it in Central Houston. That benefits EaDo, Midtown, the Med Center and everywhere in between.

Archived