American Savings Bank At 3120A Southwest Fwy.

joshrea

Gold Dome Bank At 3120A Southwest Fwy.

I'm looking for a bit of history on this building. The actual address is 3120A Southwest Fwy. its currently inhabited by Chase bank. I think I have gotten its history back to the early 90's late 80's but I can't seem to find its origin.

What was this building originally. A bank, a church, a mosque?

Some insight would be great!!

• Like 1

What I remember back from the 90's was it was always a Bank United. I used to like some of their commercials - "Thank you - Bank U!". Also every time a sports team got in the playoffs, the dome was covered - orange basketball for the Rockets, baseball for the Astros, etc.

Then it got bought by Washington Mutual. Which got bought by Chase when it WaMu crashed and burned. I think it's always been a bank.

Someone help me with the facts but I remeber in the late '90s perhaps the gold dome was removed (it was a Bank United then), the existing building was demolished, and a new building was constructed then the dome was placed on top of that building.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a bank back in the late 70's early 80's. I lived in West U. for the first 5-6 years of my life and remember asking my mom what it was, thinking it must be something impressive and interesting, and being disappointed to find out it was only a bank.

I also remember being afraid of the Fina gas station sign on I-10E that we would pass on the way to my grandmother's house in Highlands; I thought it looked like a monster with a big gaping mouth that wanted to eat me. I would crouch down in the floorboard of the car and hide every time we would pass it.

• The title was changed to Gold Dome Bank On US 59
  • The title was changed to American Savings Bank At 3120A Southwest Fwy.