Gibraltar Savings At 2302 Fannin St.

Nate99

I searched around a bit and found out that the deep hole in the ground on Fannin & Capitol used to be a parking garage, (I think) but why was it demolished, and are there any plans to build anything on the site? Based on the weathered plywood on the barriers, it has been in it's present state for a while.

I tried to search around for it, but couldn't find anything more specific.

• Like 1

if my bearings are correct, that was the old Texaco building annex - lots of rumors about renovation of the Texaco building, none of which have happened obviously. i can't remember the exact reason of the third building demolition, but i'll post if i find out.

here is another thread, though:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=7885

texannexdem.jpg

texannexdem2.jpg

• Like 1

The current hole on Fannin was the old Gibraltar Savings building. The building was demolished as part of one of the failed renovation plans for the Texaco block. The idea was to convert the Texao building and annex to a hotel and condos, but it fell through. If the plan had gone through a parking garage would have been built on the site.

The door marked "Garage" in sevfiv's second photo led to a small section of tunnel connecting to the garage on the other side of Capitol.

The current hole on Fannin was the old Gibraltar Savings building. The building was demolished as part of one of the failed renovation plans for the Texaco block. The idea was to convert the Texao building and annex to a hotel and condos, but it fell through. If the plan had gone through a parking garage would have been built on the site.

The door marked "Garage" in sevfiv's second photo led to a small section of tunnel connecting to the garage on the other side of Capitol.

So what ever happened to the plans to renovate the Texaco building? It's way too cool of a building to sit there abandoned. Had anybody heard any updates on it?

So what ever happened to the plans to renovate the Texaco building? It's way too cool of a building to sit there abandoned. Had anybody heard any updates on it?

In searching around, it sounded like there was no news after the Ritz-Carlton plan fell through (correct me if I am wrong).

There was a link that had photos by a guy that broke in to the building, and the inside looked to be in rough shape. Add that to the surrounding area that has the ambiance of Fallujah after dark, and I'd be surprised if anyone is chomping at the bit to refurbish, especially for a luxury hotel property. Who knows, maybe the junk that is around there now might start coming around once MainPlace gets up and running and it could be a viable property again.

• Like 1

The current hole on Fannin was the old Gibraltar Savings building. The building was demolished as part of one of the failed renovation plans for the Texaco block. The idea was to convert the Texao building and annex to a hotel and condos, but it fell through. If the plan had gone through a parking garage would have been built on the site. The door marked "Garage" in sevfiv's second photo led to a small section of tunnel connecting to the garage on the other side of Capitol.
It was to be more than just a parking garage. The addition would have provided ballroom space, new motor entrance to the hotel, etc. I'll try to find a link to the architectural renderings and post it here.

Architect renderings

Description from Kirksey's website: "Kirksey hospitality architects designed the Texaco Renaissance Hotel. This downtown adaptive use consists of 3 office buildings constructed in 1915, 1959, and 1962 for the Texas Company, now known as Texaco. The 1915 and 1959 structures will be rehabilitated as a 370-key, 4-star hotel with apartments on the 15th through 17th floors. The 1962 building, which was not historic, has been razed to allow a new entry and multipurpose structure that connects the hotel buildings. This 4-story central structure houses a 220-car garage, a business center, a spa/fitness center with a pool, and a 12,000-sf ballroom."

In searching around, it sounded like there was no news after the Ritz-Carlton plan fell through (correct me if I am wrong).There was a link that had photos by a guy that broke in to the building, and the inside looked to be in rough shape. Add that to the surrounding area that has the ambiance of Fallujah after dark, and I'd be surprised if anyone is chomping at the bit to refurbish, especially for a luxury hotel property. Who knows, maybe the junk that is around there now might start coming around once MainPlace gets up and running and it could be a viable property again.
Originally, it was to be a Ritz-Carlton. I think that was changed to a Renaissance before construction even started. Lately, there have been rumors of it being converted into a condo or apartment building. Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

The Ritz-Carlton deal fell through ~2000/2001. Kimberly Clark purchased it (they or the previous owner removed the asbestos), took down the 1960s part of the structure, and they were going to make it a Marriott Renaissance hotel possibly with residences, but then the hotel biz went soft. Then they decided to make it residential, and then backed off. It is on the market and would most likely become residential apartments, condos, hotel or a mix. A beautiful building, and in a much better neighborhood with the removal of the Montagu, "food store" and West Building.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Hole At Fannin St. And Capitol St.
  • The title was changed to Gibraltar Savings At 2302 Fannin St.
  • 8 months later...