Hubcap Grill vs Dallas food critic

samagon

I've never been there, what do HAIFers think of the burgers there?

Also, article commenters are coming out and saying this is regular for him. Will the "any press is good press" come true? I actually want to go now. haha

I think Hubcap is pretty good, been twice. The Heights location (which I have gone to due to my non-beef eating wife - wish they would add a chicken or veggie option!) has fried egg as an add on:

http://www.hubcapgrill.com/hubcap_heights_menu.html

I actually like it better than Christians. The Philly Cheesesteak was almost a bit much by the end, but amazing.

I gave Hubcap two separate shots at proving its reputation. They failed both times. The price is high, the portions are small, and there's really nothing the slightest bit special about them aside from the different ways that they can dress a burger. Don't get me wrong, the food isn't bad, only mediocre. For the price, it is a bad value.

Samagon, try the rancor burger at Petrol Station. Its the better bigger egg-topped bacon burger. The beer is a little pricer than Christian's, but the selection is better and its still reasonable enough during happy hour.

I gave Hubcap two separate shots at proving its reputation. They failed both times. The price is high, the portions are small, and there's really nothing the slightest bit special about them aside from the different ways that they can dress a burger. Don't get me wrong, the food isn't bad, only mediocre. For the price, it is a bad value.

I haven't been in some time, maybe they changed their portions. It is a bit pricy but you get a good quality patty with fresh bread and all the toppings/add-ons are fresh as well. And the fries are cut daily and really good. Not sure I would want a burger any bigger...

Here's my ranking of the new wave of burger joints;

1) Burger Guys- I haven't been to the downtown location yet, but these burgers were delicious and the sides were interesting as well. It's a bit pricey but the portions are big and you can tell the ingredients are top notch.

2) Bernie's Burger Bus- Really good and a fun set up. Always solid.

3) Christian's- A very simple burger but always good. I actually like them better at the new joint off of White Oak than the original

4) Hubcap- A good burger but the guy is a nut. Does anyone remember when he shut his burger bus down? He went off on a tirade on twitter about it.

5) Smash Burger- It's a chain, but it's new(ish) to town and it's pretty good.

6) Jerry Built- this one just opened on Holcombe. The place is BEAUTIFUL and the staff is attentive and quick. Super clean and super nice joint but the burger was just "ok." Have to give it another try since it just opened and the place was packed.

7) Five Guys- I like the hamburger here more than smashburger, but I HATE the french fries.

Now, while it's not new, I am still a fan of Pappa's Burger. I'd rank that one above Hubcap.

Lastly, in the sad to see it gone, if anyone ever had the jalapeno cheeseburger from Cahill's on Durham, you'd know that that thing was a juicy, delicious, filling burger. The home made chips were awesome as well. That place is a dive that I will miss!

Who even cares what a Dallas food critic...or any other food critic...has to say anyway? Well, perhaps a "foodie" would care, but those are people who must be told whether food tastes good, so no one (outside of Down House) cares about them.

I agree... BUT... it goes to the common theme about perceptions of the city. I'm constantly amazed at friends' attitudes about Houston culture (including food) when they come to visit. I'm happy to take them around the city to various venues myself, but I think they wouldn't be so hesitant to visit in the first place if the city's reputation on the national circuit were better.

I'm not looking to attract camera-toting clueless tourists, but it'd be nice if the city (collectively, although I realize that's meaningless) were better able to communicate its offerings to others so I wouldn't have to do as much of it to my friends and family.

I'm not looking to attract camera-toting clueless tourists, but it'd be nice if the city (collectively, although I realize that's meaningless) were better able to communicate its offerings to others so I wouldn't have to do as much of it to my friends and family.

Oh, boo hoo. Woe is you! Personally, I like it that the bar is so low. Makes it so that I don't have to work very hard to be a tour guide, the bearer of good news about someone's trip. Makes me look good, makes Houston look good.

I agree... BUT... it goes to the common theme about perceptions of the city. I'm constantly amazed at friends' attitudes about Houston culture (including food) when they come to visit. I'm happy to take them around the city to various venues myself, but I think they wouldn't be so hesitant to visit in the first place if the city's reputation on the national circuit were better.

Perhaps you are talking about Houston's overall perception, but its perception as a diverse and quality reataurant town is top notch. It is routinely named one of the best reataurant cities in the country, and surveys usually put us at the top as far as number of meals eaten outside the home per week by its residents.

But, then, you might need to be a foodie to know these things. ;)

some explicit language so I won't quote text:

http://houston.cultu...-over-a-review/

basically, Dallas food critic blasts Hubcap with a bad review, owner of Hubcap blasts the critic and tells him to GTFO of Houston food.

:lol:

Food critics are nothing but a bunch of arrogant snobs who are trying desperately to be important in a world where nobody actually cares about them. They are as low and insignificant as a reporter for the Houston Chronicle. I have never not gone to a restaurant based upon a review by a food critic. Same with movie critics. The more the movie critic hates a movie, the more I want to see it. Conversely, if a movie critic loves a movie - I will generally hate it.

Oh, boo hoo. Woe is you! Personally, I like it that the bar is so low. Makes it so that I don't have to work very hard to be a tour guide, the bearer of good news about someone's trip. Makes me look good, makes Houston look good.

First, I wasn't whining. And, I don't disagree with your point that it makes being a tour guide in Houston easier. I was simply pointing out that several friends and family of my own - from around the country and the world - are hesitant to visit me in Houston for extended periods due to their perception that there's nothing to do in the city.

Perhaps you are talking about Houston's overall perception, but its perception as a diverse and quality reataurant town is top notch. It is routinely named one of the best reataurant cities in the country, and surveys usually put us at the top as far as number of meals eaten outside the home per week by its residents.

But, then, you might need to be a foodie to know these things. ;)

I don't think you need to be a foodie to know that the city has great food - if you live here. But, I do think you'd need to be one if you live outside Houston.

As 'evidence' of this, I'll point to the Travel+Leisure 2011 America's Favorite Cities poll. One of the major categories is Food/Drink/Restaurants, which includes subcategories such as barbecue, fine dining and pizza. In all but one subcategory (barbecue), Houston was lower-rated by visitors than residents. In fact, with the exception of barbecue (#4 rank by visitors; #4 by residents) and hamburgers (#4 and #1 respectively), Houston was rated relatively poorly by visitors/residents (ranks out of 35 cities):

• Cafes: #26 / #21
  • Coffee: #30 / #22
  • Ethnic food: #13 / #3
  • Fine dining: #19 / #11
  • Microbrew beer: #26 / #24
  • Pizza: #21 / #15
  • Street food: #27 / #18

In fact, across 57 subcategories across eight major categories (including food/drink), Houston was rated lower by visitors than residents in 53! (The exceptions were barbecue and three in 'best times to visit': 4th of July, Summer, and Winter.)

Yes, it helps when organizations like Esquire rank Houston highly. (They ranked Houston the 7th best restaurant city in the country, above DC, Boston and Seattle). But, the perceptions of the masses - who are our friends and family members - matter more to me than some snobs at a magazine. I've visited dozens of cities in the US and around the world and, while I can't say that Houston competes with cities like NYC, Barcelona or Hong Kong for the availability of amazing cuisine, it's certainly not a middle-of-the-road US city, either.

Every single out-of-town visitor I have ever hosted left KNOWING that Houston was a restaurant/booze kind of town. They leave full and happy and totally blown away by the quality, quantity, options, prices, settings, etc...

As for random folks filling out a survey Travel + Leisure, bleh. I bet 99% of them had never even been to Houston but it didn't stop them from ranking regardless.

Now, back on the topic at hand, all of this burger talk got me hungry so I had lunch today at Bernie's Burger Bus at the Inversion Coffee House. Once again, it was top notch. Burger was juicy and perfectly cooked and the crunchy fries were salty and delicious, especially with their homemade ketchup to dip them in. I stopped by around 11:30 am and the place was packed. All outdoor tables were full and there was a line of at least 15 waiting on their orders. For a random Wednesday morning, that's a pretty solid sign.

I do need to try the Jerry Built hamburger. Heard good things about it. Best one I've had lately was at the new Hay Merchant.

Went there during the grand opening a short while back. The place was packed - not a single available seat in the house. The burgers were good, but not as good as some other places in town, in my opinion. I certainly would go back but, if I have the option and I don't mind driving a few extra miles, I'd rather go to a few other places.

• 2 weeks later...

Visited JerryBuilt today for lunch. It was good but I wouldn't say it was anything great. I think Smash Burger is better. It's worth the trip though just to use the high tech drink dispenser and hand washer. First time I've seen anything like them.

Visited JerryBuilt today for lunch. It was good but I wouldn't say it was anything great. I think Smash Burger is better. It's worth the trip though just to use the high tech drink dispenser and hand washer. First time I've seen anything like them.

Haven't been there yet. Is the drink dispenser one of the ones with a touchscreen? Firehouse Subs has those.

Haven't been there yet. Is the drink dispenser one of the ones with a touchscreen? Firehouse Subs has those.

Yup.

Meanwhile, the hand washer is one where you insert your hands/forearms; it washes and rinses them with moderately-powered jets of water. It's cool the first time - great for kids. After a while, the novelty wears off, however.

Ugh.

I don't think hate is the right word, but I don't like them. Since they shoot each drink out of the same nozzle, invariably my Dr. Pepper ends up with a strong hint of whatever concoction the person previous to me thought would be a good idea. Imagine my dismay if that happens to be anything with saccharine, then I get that horrible fake sugar aftertaste in my throat.

Not to mention with a regular machine at least 2 people can fill up (assuming they aren't drinking the same thing), with this, you have to wait for someone to filter through the menu, then you have to filter through the menu, adding a lot more steps to what should otherwise be a very simple process.

If this is the future, I want no part of it.

I don't think hate is the right word, but I don't like them. Since they shoot each drink out of the same nozzle, invariably my Dr. Pepper ends up with a strong hint of whatever concoction the person previous to me thought would be a good idea. Imagine my dismay if that happens to be anything with saccharine, then I get that horrible fake sugar aftertaste in my throat.

Not to mention with a regular machine at least 2 people can fill up (assuming they aren't drinking the same thing), with this, you have to wait for someone to filter through the menu, then you have to filter through the menu, adding a lot more steps to what should otherwise be a very simple process.

I don't disagree. My solution to this is to run the water first - just a bit - to cleanse the nozzle. But, that adds even one more step - which goes to your second point.

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh.

If this is the future, I want no part of it.

They have a name - Coca-Cola Freestyle:

http://www.coca-colafreestyle.com/index.jsp

I'd bet they're going to become near-ubiquitous. Fuddrucker's seems to be retrofitting their locations with them now. I have to admit I've already grown to like the Coke with lime quite a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived