Magic Island Entertainment Venue At 2215 Southwest Fwy.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Generally, unless there's signs posted and/or swarms of security guards, you probably should be able to take a picture. And given that it didn't seem to reopen in winter 2012 as planned, I'm guessing that it's been abandoned once more.

Besides, back in 2009-2010, didn't the Magic Island website redirect to the magician's personal website?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

All that's left is for some developer to tear down that ugly Magic Island and build and awesome skycraper!

Gosh, you think so? I think it's ugly only because its been closed for years. Some "Texas donut" apartment complex won't be an improvement.

• 1 year later...

meltedplastic has added a photo to the pool:

Magic Island

Magic Island was a restaurant in Houston, Texas that featured a magic show and dinner at a high price. It closed after Hurricane Katrina and has never reopened since. Locked up pretty well, it has suffered ok against time, looters, and the elements. It has some holes in the roof, there has been a fire, and it has no electricity. With the permission of the people in charge of the property I was allowed to go through and photograph it before it is lost for all time. Most of these photos are either close up with a flash or I painted with my flashlight while the camera was on a tripod. There are disco balls, sarcophagi, a theater and a steam punk elevator. I had never been there before and it was interesting to go from room to room and have no idea what I would see next.

View the full article

meltedplastic has added a photo to the pool:

Magic Island

Magic Island was a restaurant in Houston, Texas that featured a magic show and dinner at a high price. It closed after Hurricane Katrina and has never reopened since. Locked up pretty well, it has suffered ok against time, looters, and the elements. It has some holes in the roof, there has been a fire, and it has no electricity. With the permission of the people in charge of the property I was allowed to go through and photograph it before it is lost for all time. Most of these photos are either close up with a flash or I painted with my flashlight while the camera was on a tripod. There are disco balls, sarcophagi, a theater and a steam punk elevator. I had never been there before and it was interesting to go from room to room and have no idea what I would see next.

View the full article

• 2 years later...

I saw at least a couple Magic Island threads and figured I'd post in this one...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/05/18/architect-for-magic-island-renovations-e-want-to.html

Architect for Magic Island renovations: 'We want to maintain the original concept'

By Jen Para  – Web producer, Houston Business Journal

May 18, 2018, 8:00am CDT Updated May 18, 2018, 5:25pm CDT

Since 2008, Magic Island has sat empty except for the giant pharaoh head. That's about to change.

Renovations have begun on the entertainment venue at 2215 Southwest Freeway, said architect Russell King of Houston-based King Residential Group and Terrace Consulting Group Inc., the consulting architect and construction services company contracted for the project. Plans are still being finalized but so far include updating the Egyptian theme, adding an outdoor terrace and adding event spaces that could include a poker room, Sue Smith, the business coordinator for Magic Island, said.

But getting Magic Island ready to open by the end of 2018 won’t be an easy task. Terrace Consulting will have to gut the building down to its shell. 

“It’s a complete rebuild, (but we) want to maintain the original concept and still have the theaters, the magicians, the shows, event rooms,” King said.

“But it will be larger with additional dining and entertainment options.”

The current two-story building is nearly 21,000-square-feet, according to property records with the Harris County Appraisal District. King said it could expand to about 30,000 feet. Initial plans include establishing a 100-seat outdoor terrace for dining.

Smith added that plans also include adding two event rooms downstairs, hopefully to accommodate 200 to 300 people. She said a poker room could be in the works, too.

"Of course, it would be opened as a separate entity that would be house within Magic," Smith said. "Totally separate from the restaurant, the show areas. It's going to have a separate entrance."

This is to ensure that Magic Island maintains its family-friendly atmosphere while also attracting an adult crowd.

• 3 months later...

https://www.papercitymag.com/culture/magic-island-reopening-houston-magicians-comeback-haven/

"Now it’s time for the dramatic reappearance. Magic Island is on the brink of rebirth, set to open its doors this November after a distant decade."

wow! (i remember going here loooooong ago and just remember it being dark and dusty haha...so can't wait to see what they do!)

Palace Lanes and now Magic Island. Life is becoming great again. Really, people need something to do be sides being mesmerized (pardon the pun) by their I-pads. My late uncle was a self-made success and former country boy from Lee County in central Texas. One of his great pleasures as an adult was an evening at Magic Island.

I'm generally not a fan of magic, but I'm excited about this. I remember going once back in the late 80s, I guess, probably late elementary or early middle school, and was less interested in what was happening onstage than the general occult ambiance of the place. I hope it's like that when it reopens.

• 1 month later...