Beer Island At 2631 White Oak Dr.

mcook2002

Closed.

Apparently a Little Woodrows is moving in.

Thats interesting. I wonder how long the old Heights Social Club (or some name along those lines) will stay vacant across the street?

Although, I am certain it won't be long before the heights haters come along and start bashing the addition as further evidence of the katy-ification of the heights.

Cal: I guess you haven't noticed but that's been going on for about 3 years now. After the success of OC (and failure of Vinoteca) it was 6 street, then Beer Island, etc...

Cheers

James

OCs been around for what, almost ten years? The others are or were part of the transition of White Oak to more commercial viability over that time, whether individual businesses failed or not along the way.

My inquiry is based on my association of Lil Woodrow's (fake-ish ice house) with the crowd that is driving the current Washington Corridor frenzy. I don't associate anything else that's opened up on White Oak so far quite so closely with them.

Christian's Tailgate is, I would argue, the Washington beach head into White Oak.

The Christian's which is actually on Washington has never been on the "Washington crowd" circuit as long as I've been going there, it's a sort of old school burger/beer joint. But I've not been there late night, either.

The Christians on White Oak could just bring the preexisting latent Washington type-crowd out of the Heights itself. I haven't seen it when I've been there though. I was surprised how many hipsters materialized at Antidote after it opened.

Anyway, my interactions at several Woodrow's is more in line with the Washington stereotype than they are at Christians.

I think the 100 degree weather finally killed off Beer Island. It was always a tough sell being un-air conditioned. The only people I ever saw there seemed a bit butch. Was a shame, really. With as little square footage as it had, it wouldn't have cost much to drop some AC in the place. I wouldn't call Woodrows a Washington joint, though. More frat house slumming than Washington douchebag. I'll take that crowd...and the friendlier bartenders...over the faux Austin losers at Onion Creek any day. For a smoker and occasional sports fan, Christian's covered patio rocks the house, though.

I think the 100 degree weather finally killed off Beer Island. It was always a tough sell being un-air conditioned. The only people I ever saw there seemed a bit butch. Was a shame, really. With as little square footage as it had, it wouldn't have cost much to drop some AC in the place. I wouldn't call Woodrows a Washington joint, though. More frat house slumming than Washington douchebag. I'll take that crowd...and the friendlier bartenders...over the faux Austin losers at Onion Creek any day. For a smoker and occasional sports fan, Christian's covered patio rocks the house, though.

Pretty much sums up how I feel... although I still prefer the Shiloh

As far as the old Vinoteca spot, I met a guy who is trying to open a small brewery in the Heights (from CO, imagine that) and that is one building he has been looking at. I think that location is great. The concepts that were in there just sucked.

Pretty much sums up how I feel... although I still prefer the Shiloh

As far as the old Vinoteca spot, I met a guy who is trying to open a small brewery in the Heights (from CO, imagine that) and that is one building he has been looking at. I think that location is great. The concepts that were in there just sucked.

Good luck to him, but the building is a really tough layout. It is tiny, has a bad flow from one room to the next, the restrooms are in a terrible location, and...worst of all...the ceilings are only 8 feet or so. I looked at it for a bar (even before Archie closed it down), but I could not justify the expense to make it comfortable. The only bright spot was the huge backyard in which I planned a massive deck, half covered, half open. But, walking through that low ceiling to get to it would be torture. I was much higher on the Beer Island building, but it got snatched up before I could even get inside to look at it. I guess that is a big part of my disappointment, that I had much bigger plans for the spot.

As far as the old Vinoteca spot.....

Remember the Ready Room? I was scared to go in there at first, but once I did it became my favorite music dive.....proceed to bar, look at no one directly, order a drink and STFU. You could leave the cigs at home because the air was 50/50.

• Like 1

Beer Island was OK, but just OK. It just didn't seem like they were trying very hard. Nothing against them and it's always sad when someone's livelihood is taken away, but things are changing in the Heights. The existing businesses are going to have to step up their games if they want to compete for customers and available venues.

And Woodrow's are fine. The crowds are usually pretty laid back and friendly. I've spent a ton of time at Big Woodrow's and the Little Woodrow's on Alabama and in Midtown and I think they'll fit right in with the Heights character. But I don't know where people are going to park.

Good luck to him, but the building is a really tough layout. It is tiny, has a bad flow from one room to the next, the restrooms are in a terrible location, and...worst of all...the ceilings are only 8 feet or so. I looked at it for a bar (even before Archie closed it down), but I could not justify the expense to make it comfortable. The only bright spot was the huge backyard in which I planned a massive deck, half covered, half open. But, walking through that low ceiling to get to it would be torture. I was much higher on the Beer Island building, but it got snatched up before I could even get inside to look at it. I guess that is a big part of my disappointment, that I had much bigger plans for the spot.

Which is exactly why it was the world's worst spot for a sports bar. You can't even fit a big screen on the walls. And Vinoteca was not the kind of place anyone would want to spend a lot of money, which is how wine bars survive. But I could see someone making small batch beers in there. Texas law prohibits beer makers from selling at their breweries, so it wouldn't be a bar, merely a small production facility. One reason he said he liked that space, though, was because if that stoopid law ever changes, he would do a small beer garden in the back. Who knows. It's not someone I know well/personally, so his plans could now be going in a completely different direction.

But that place *could* be a bar if the person knew who they wanted their client base to be. I imagine it would be the people who moved to the Heights from Montrose who now find the drive from TK Bitterman's to be too far.

But that place *could* be a bar if the person knew who they wanted their client base to be. I imagine it would be the people who moved to the Heights from Montrose who now find the drive from TK Bitterman's to be too far.

No doubt, it could work. It's been awhile since I was inside, but it seemed that my solution to the low ceilings was to remove the suspended ceiling and expose the roof panels. However, that was still only 9 feet, and the AC ductwork would be hanging low. And, the pathway to get to the back deck would have been rather problematic. It would be doable, but not ideal. Plus, Archie insisted that business was booming, even though I could tell from TABC tax records that it was likely losing money. Running out of beer, various liquors, and having the electricity cut off were other clues. I finally quit asking him about it, and a few months later it closed.

No doubt, it could work. It's been awhile since I was inside, but it seemed that my solution to the low ceilings was to remove the suspended ceiling and expose the roof panels. However, that was still only 9 feet, and the AC ductwork would be hanging low. And, the pathway to get to the back deck would have been rather problematic. It would be doable, but not ideal. Plus, Archie insisted that business was booming, even though I could tell from TABC tax records that it was likely losing money. Running out of beer, various liquors, and having the electricity cut off were other clues. I finally quit asking him about it, and a few months later it closed.

I'm no businessman, but running out of beer at a place called 'beer island' is never a good sign.

Hell, running out of beer anywhere is never a good sign. ;-)

Edited by Jesse

I'm no businessman, but running out of beer at a place called 'beer island' is never a good sign.

Hell, running out of beer anywhere is never a good sign. ;-)

Agree completely, but I was talking about Heights Sports Lounge, not Beer Island. I realize that we went off on a tangent here.

Went to Dallas for the UH bowl game a few weeks ago. The brand new Omni Hotel ran out of beer despite the fact they were hosting the UH bowl delegation and a new year's eve rave. So, we decided to venture out to the West End. Hit up two places and both ran out of beer (one was Gators, forgot the name of the other place because I started drinking "date rape in a cup" at Gators since they ran out of beer... everclear/grain alcohol stuff).

More ammo to use against the Big D...

• Like 1

Heights Sport Lounge was the place across White Oak from Beer Island and next to gas station? Last I heard (and it has been a little while) was that Roeder's was opening a new location there.

That's probably a decent fit. The guys I know who used to hang out at Roeder's would like those low ceilings ;)

• The title was changed to Beer Island At 2631 White Oak Dr.