Seattle Central Library At 1000 4th Ave.

Metropolis magazine just had a huge feature on it. I think it is great. What was interesting is that it was really function-driven. They looked at how people used the library and designed the building around that. They also designed it to make it easy to reconfigure over time as the way the library is used changes, eg if in the future users want more PCs and fewer book stacks. Another design goal was energy efficiency. I wouldn't go so far to say it was the future of architecture, but I think that buildings like this that are innovative and designed around functionality and efficiency are appreciated a lot more over the long run then buildings that only focus on visual impact or being trendy, but perhaps aren't as well constructed. Gehry's work comes to mind on that count.

• 4 months later...
i like it...especially after hearing how functional it is

So the last time I was in Seatlttle I made a point of taking a self guided tour of the new Seattle Library. Functionally - the archicture is wonderful. Visually - the architecture is subjective. The building is about 8 stories where the top 3 stories are administrative offices - haven't been there. The 5th floor is a lot of open space with computers and seating.

The interesting thing about the seats is they are made out of foam. Relatively dense foam with a rubber coating over them. It is pretty ingenious because they are very angular, but not uncomfortable. The building is wheelchair accessable all the way to the 5th floor. The color of the center core is a greenish yellow flourescent color. Very bold, and trendy. It is really the wave of future library's for city use. While university libraries will always have massive amounts of books for research, prestige etc. City libraries should really be used for the benefit of the people. This library accomplishes that...it even has a starbucks stand (pun intended - and true at the same time).

To me, this library garners the same reaction, but using a completely different methodology than the Experience Music Project in Seattle.

Overall - I like the architecture, and the function. However, in all honesty, I think a structure like that in Houston wouldn't fly too well. It would take too much scrutiny for being trendy, and non conformist. Seattle can get away with it becuase of its culture.

In Houston, I have seen similar attempts at being bold, but on a much smaller scale.

• 2 years later...
  • The title was changed to Seattle Central Library At 1000 4th Ave.