Houston Households Spend Most On Transportation

http://www.metro-magazine.com/t_newspick.cfm?id=9061067

June 15, 2005

Houston households spend most on transportation

Households in the Houston metropolitan area pay 20.9% of their income for transportation, the highest share according to a newly released study.

The study, conducted by the Surface Transportation Policy Project (STPP) and the Center for Neighborhood Technology, ranked 28 metropolitan areas on their combined transportation and housing costs.

^Click on the the link at the top to read the article^

Other study findings included:

-Households in regions that invested in public transportation reap financial benefits from having affordable transportation options, even as gasoline prices rise.

yes, there is no hidden agenda there

none at all

what a bogus study.  they say it was based upon combined transportation and housing costs, but they don't list the housing cost.

bafooey

Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'd like some of your insights on how Houston could possibly be listed above cities like L.A., having MUCH lower fuel and housing prices. I mean, it's not even comparable.

Welcome to the board Orikal!

This isn't the first study reporting that Houston's transportation costs are among the highest in the nation (I think another ranked us third), so it's old news in a way. It's not looking at housing costs. The last study was looking at average miles traveled and then imputed costs for fuel, repairs, automobile depreciation, and taxes. They added in insurance, but I don't remember if they assigned a value to the time spent commuting. One thing that pushed Houston into the highest category was very high insurance costs.

• 4 weeks later...

Houston ranks second in household transportation spending

Region is first in percentage of family expenses

Houston has moved up to second on the list of transportation costs per household, regaining that spot from Dallas-Fort Worth and behind only Anchorage. But it is first in transportation costs as a percentage of all household expenses.

good call midtowncoog.

I generally put little stock in these type studies. The variables include the price of a car. If Houston happened to have more wealthier people that bought more expensive cars, it would reflect that Houston citizens pay more for transportation.

This study has pro-rail anti road written all over it. People need to understand that not one side will solve problems. We need both.

Does this include your car note? If yes I can see Houstanians spending 20% of their income on transportation. Houston citizens followed by Dallas have the highest average car notes then any where in the U.S. (article in the paper last year) A lot of households have more then one car as well. $550 car note, $150 insurance, $300 gas and maint a month sounds about right on a $50,000 income. No car note then insurance and gas on a $25,000 income is a about 20%. Hell I know people that have car note well over $1,000 dollars a month. Some people spend more money on their car then their house.

Some tried to say the costs are high due to people with bad credit. Not sure if I agree with that either.

Took the bus to work again toaday! Homer Simpson was right about saying "public transportation is for jerks and lesbians."

I had to sit next to some jerk lady who ate her eye-buggers from Eastex to to downtown.

Yuk!

Also, insurance costs are higher in Harris County than north Texas. This has to do with the liquor laws mostly. Same situation exists back in Louisiana.

The northern portion of the state general pays about half what the southern portino of the state pays in car insurance.

The liquor laws are the same there as here. The big influence on insurance costs is claims. And weather and big cities affect them the most. Texas rates have dropped some recently, because we've been lucky on storms and the crime rate has dropped slightly.

Of course, Emily may have something to say about that. We shall see.

Yes, but D/FWallas has a TON of dry areas.  I made the mistake of moving into after after graduation.

A ten mile drive for a six-pack really makes no sense!

have fun on the bus!

But, you made the drive, right? My point was that the dry areas don't keep anyone from drinking, it is just annoying. In fact, it may actually INCREASE drunken driving.

As far as bars and restaurants, a club card takes care of that. So, there's not really any less alcohol consumption up there.

BTW, bus was clean and on time. :D

Yes, the Dry areas just keep the Dallas holy rollers happy.

The bus thing is pretty cool, I have to admit. And I am not a jerk, or a lesbian.

LTAWACS, I have to admit, if there's one thing you are good at, it's bringing nothing to the conversation.

You are a broken record.

Yes, I have one dream of a commute, but don't tell anyone. I live in Fall Creek, two miles from the Eastex park-n-ride.

15 miles from downtown, so the bus actually takes a few extra minutes, but lets me read my paperwork.

Most days I just drive, and the commute is easy money, with no traffic.

The Eastex Freeway is lucky because it could be expanded with little impact to the surroundings. Right now the freeway has extra capacity especially from the Beltway to I-10.

To me the Park-n-Ride is good for people who just don't want to drive in like MidtownCoog sometimes does. In a couple of years it may be faster than driving.

I know a lot of people looking out in the Fall Creek area and along the southwestern side of Lake Houston. Lot of nice homes and many of the trees are being kept to keep the property values up.

well... I dont feel bad for those who choose to live in the middle of nowhere.

actually, i've been to dry areas in dallas that were inside 635 (their inner-loop). and it is very annoying, and actually kept us from drinking because we gave up after a couple gas stations. but i'm sure if we knew where we were going we could have found a spot, as someone who goes there once a month, i just can't figure out what's dry...

but soon my brother is moving to san fran, so i won't be going to dallas very often anymore!

In the city of Dallas itself (inside I-635) you can't buy liquor or beer at a store after 9pm.

Collin County to the north I know is pretty much dry all the way. Maybe some beer or mild wine, but not much else.