Home At 10111 Cliffwood Dr.

travelguy_73

The open house was great, and (surprisingly) most people there were hip to the architectural significance of the house. And what a neat house .... pretty original, except for the kitchen appliances. But with the plans (which have every little detail down to the brand of the original floor tiles) one could restore it quite easily.

The original (on the plans) 'Fleetwood' built-in TV is there, but the story according to the hosting realtor is that it quit working 6 months after the house was completed. Also, I believe I heard that the house was built from new on foundation piers, which explains not a single crack in the original brick flooring.

The atrium baths are sooooo cool with the stepdown tubs. Probably the coolest thing, though, was the built in china cabinets, which have no back and are against the windows to the dining atrium - they're see-through !!

Just loved the house, and really it seems a good deal considering the history and what non-notable houses are going for in nearby Meyerland. It's just one of those well-cared for, well preserved specimans that don't come along very often.

Click on the address on the first post for more photos. The plan is similar to the former Jenkins residence at 10911 Willowisp he designed in 1956. Seems a trademark of their office was the low hanging light fixtures which this house has at least four. It is a beautiful house but the back yard is compromised by the extra long extension of the living area.

I wish I had known about the open house! Hopefully I can get in over there anyway for an appointment. It may give me some clues to my house as well, though it looks like it has been changed a bit if not a lot... To me it seems more or a ranch house than the mods down our street, but I look forward to seeing it!

So far I have visited 3 other Jenkins besides my own and they are all fun to get to know. The plan is to eventually get the area Jenkins house owners together on an occaisional basis for dinner parties, rotating from house to house, so if you buy this one... Welcome to the club!

The Willow Meadows homes prices are about $25 per sq ft. higher than the Willowbend ones for some reason... I have a hard time telling the difference. Closer to the loop? North of Belfort is "nicer" than South? As I understand it, it's more likely to flood on the other side of the neighborhood. I visited a lovely modern on Cliffwood near 610 (just knocked on the door - curious if it was a Jenkins, but apparantly not) and the owners told me of their home getting flooded in Allison and ruining their hardwoods. Most of our street didn't get water in the house.

Jason

The Willow Meadows homes prices are about $25 per sq ft. higher than the Willowbend ones for some reason...  I  have a hard time telling the difference.  Closer to the loop?  North of Belfort is "nicer" than South?  As I understand it, it's more likely to flood on the other side of the neighborhood.  I visited a lovely modern on Cliffwood near 610 (just knocked on the door - curious if it was a Jenkins, but apparantly not) and the owners told me of their home getting flooded in Allison and ruining their hardwoods.  Most of our street didn't get water in the house.

Jason

W Bellfort to 610 (and the part of the neighborhood inside 610) is zoned to Bellaire HS (vs Westbury HS), which probably is part of the difference. The Westbury half seems to be valued about the same, perhaps due to being all the same neighborhood. I lived in the Westbury half (where this mod is located) and actually found it to have a better housing stock with more heavily remodeled properties, and it was a bargain compared to Meyerland.

As for flooding, there was certainly flooding along Cliffwood and near 610 during Allison. There is an open ditch that runs between Cliffwood and Willow Grove that went over its banks (not sure how much over or if it was along the entire stretch). It was sad to see all the hardwoods and carpet out by the curb the weeks following the flood. Outside 610, I don't believe there are any real flood concerns outside of something like Allison. Inside 610 might be in a flood zone, but I don't know for sure.

Is the extension original?

Will some of you that saw the plans answer this? What was the date on the plans?

The screen porch extension appeared well detailed and original to me. The similar in plan house on Willowisp has had the porch glazed and a window air conditioner added.

Looks like the flood potential for this house and Willowisp is similar as they are located near the same ditch. The flood map link above shows a high risk of flooding. Better budget for flood insurance as a yearly expense. I guess all the Mods in California have to budget for earthquake insurance. I'll take flooding over earthquakes any day.

As for determining values by location, Buffalo Bayou seems to be one of the major factors in Houston. Generally, the closer to the bayou, the higher the value.

Will some of you that saw the plans answer this?  What was the date on the plans?

The screen porch extension appeared well detailed and original to me. 

As I remember it, the extension was definitely on the plans and is as-built. I didn't catch the plan date, though.

Something else I noticed on the plans - there originally was a large, grid-like planting pocket that ran toward the street from in front of the porte-coche (which I believe was noted as 'carport' on the plans). It looked like about the same size as the carport (20x20) but is now covered over with grass. Cool idea.

Something else I noticed on the plans - there originally was a large, grid-like planting pocket that ran toward the street from in front of the porte-coche (which I believe was noted as 'carport' on the plans).  It looked like about the same size as the carport (20x20) but is now covered over with grass.  Cool idea.

Very interesting. The design kept the center axis theme consistent from the front to rear property line. He established a concept and stuck with it. It's unfortunate the 1980's looking landscape destroyed some of the strength of the original concept. I wonder what type of plantings the grid featured? A transitional approach of intermitent turf, gravel and trimmed groundcover might work.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize anyone in the area went to Bellaire High. That can make a big difference if you have kids. I don't know the difference between the 2 schools, but I can imagine there is one.

About flooding, I don't know about that side of the neighborhood, but our side has the concrete "waterway" now, and the former owner said it hasn't flooded since they put it in.

Jason

W Bellfort to 610 (and the part of the neighborhood inside 610) is zoned to Bellaire HS (vs Westbury HS), which probably is part of the difference.  The Westbury half seems to be valued about the same, perhaps due to being all the same neighborhood.  I lived in the Westbury half (where this mod is located) and actually found it to have a better housing stock with more heavily remodeled properties, and it was a bargain compared to Meyerland.

As for flooding, there was certainly flooding along Cliffwood and near 610 during Allison.  There is an open ditch that runs between Cliffwood and Willow Grove that went over its banks (not sure how much over or if it was along the entire stretch).  It was sad to see all the hardwoods and carpet out by the curb the weeks following the flood.  Outside 610, I don't believe there are any real flood concerns outside of something like Allison.  Inside 610 might be in a flood zone, but I don't know for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

We got out to the open house today and found this house to be breathtaking!

The bathrooms looking out on a rock garden and mini reflecting pool was probably my favorite feature. Talk about a peaceful place! The lack of this feature in our bathrooms makes me a little jealous of this house! The hardwood floors were interesting to see, as the other Jenkins we've been in didn't have them. This house seemed to be the most upscale Jenkins I know of. The panelling was reminiscent of the house 2 doors down from us. Other elements were near copies (or possibly improvements?) of the house across the street. Jenkins work is truly fascinating to me!

The built in tv cabinet was a real conversation piece, but the built in china cabinet in the dining room wasn't as attractive as I hoped. The large closets caused more jealous feelings... The screened porch was cool to see. I could see myself sipping tea there.

Seeing the backyard gave me hope that we can make more out of ours. All of our neighbors have much nicer backyards too, so I've got lots of inspiration - and work to do.

I've got my fingers crossed that a real lover of MCM will buy this house and make it the palace it deserves to be. Though I'm still not sure that the price is right - all the power to the owners for trying to get the most for it.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

I will probably go again. I can't resist! I think the asking price is a little high on this house, but I'm surprised no one has made a good enough offer by now. It's in a great location and it's gorgeous as far as I'm concerned. It needs a little work, but not enough to break the bank. The perks of this house far outweigh the problems.

Jason

Another open house scheduled for July 10 2-4.

Willo- Good to meet you at the open house. Me and the wife went and looked at your place afterwards and absolutely love what youve done with it. Props to you.

I like the Cliffwood house but even with the new reduced asking price it seems a little stiff.

Thanks for the info.  I didn't realize anyone in the area went to Bellaire High.  That can make a big difference if you have kids.  I don't know the difference between the 2 schools, but I can imagine there is one.

About flooding, I don't know about that side of the neighborhood, but our side has the concrete "waterway" now, and the former owner said it hasn't flooded since they put it in.

Jason

growing up in the area, i noticed that parents and students would do almost anything to NOT go to westbury!

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Home At 10111 Cliffwood Dr.