Makeover For Richmond Ave.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree something needs to be done. All the empty buildings along the strip are giving it an urban ghetto feel. The list of places that have shut down in recent years is staggering- King Fish, Chuy's, City Streets, Outback, to name just a few.

Who's next - Pappasitos, Dave & Busters ?

Downtown is great, but there's definitely a need for a second major area, close to the Galleria and easily accesible by car with convenient parking.

I remember back in it's heyday there was even talk of some kind of trolley system running down Richmond, so that people could park their car once and leave it there while visiting different places.

I would just like to see that street fixed up even if it isn't with clubs. I like the Galleria area with lots of attractions. I also want downtown to do good in that area. In a way, downtown is the new Richmond Ave, All of the clubs are locating in that area.

For what? What would be the point? Downtown is where it's at. Besides there are too many thugs there on the weekends. I don't need to associate with those types of people.

Unfortunately, thugs eventually turn up no matter where the location. Or perhaps once an area is known as a 'party spot' it brings out thuggishness in people.

A few years ago Shepherd Square was the place to go - until people started misbehaving, and the neighbors applied pressure. Before that, Lower Westheimer - same story.

I'd be interested to know if these nightclubs on Richmond simply lost their cachet, or if pressure from surrounding neighborhoods led to stricter law enforcement. I've heard complaints at the public sessions at City Hall about the usual nightclub woes (traffic, loud music, littering, public urination, fights, ad nauseum). This can lead to liquor licences not being renewed, and to less police tolerance of drunk and unruly patrons.

I just hope that a sensible balance can be found downtown. The revelry during Super Bowl was great - but the city was on high alert. We can't expect that sort of police presence every weekend. We might be better off having smaller, more manageable party districts than to try to recreate the French Quarter downtown.

I've never posted this before, but I was the owner of Firehouse Philly's downtown (I appreciate all the great remarks that were posted here). As for downtown, there is a very large police presence. They used to eat in my store. The bicycle guys would give me their cards with their cell numbers and tell us to call if anyone got out of line. No one ever did.

I used to date a manager of one of the Shepherd bars. The problems came when the NON club going thugs would hang out in the parking lots and terrorize the patrons. Eventually, no one wanted to put up with the abuse. Shepherd owners did not pay for security to run these non-patrons off...and things went downhill quickly. Richmond was a bit different, and tougher to deal with, because the thugs were on the streets. The landlords can't patrol the street, only HPD.

The main drag downtown is Main St. Very hard to cruise that street. The parking lots are off the Main drag. If you hang out, no one will see you. When you force people out of their cars, they lose anonymity, and often, their 'cool' factor.

The city, and influential citizens have invested billions in downtown. They are not going to let it get overrun by punks, at least not near term. Downtown is also relatively compact, making it easier to patrol. If anything, I've seen too much police force there. They clamp down a bit too quickly, sometimes. Overall, I don't think you will see the Shepherd and Richmond problems downtown for awhile, if ever.

Yeah I would agree with Red Scare, Dt should be much easier to control. Also the fact that much of Main isn't accessible to cars has got to greatly decrease thugs cruising.

I go to Main now and again and love what's happening there and hope it only continues to prosper. The larger the party district the more well known it will become and if handled properly should only help the urban renewal of DT.

Imo Main st is one of the best decisions this city has made since I moved here.

i really hope that downtown does not lose its spotlight as the nightlife district in houston, but i have a feeling down the road it will lose its nightlife entertainment as quickly as the galleria stole from the traditional downtown retail district.

I like the restaurant Row idea a lot. If they could repave the street and each restaurant that agrees to open there create a somewhat cohesive atmosphere by including tons of Al Fresco type of develoments whether they are single or two story, add a couple of decrative fountains in a few of the medians, and heavily theme a few of the restaurants.

But absolutely no clubs. Leave those to Downtown. I personally don't see Restaurant Row becoming a hangout for thugs.

Yes, a restaurant row makes more sense. With a few bars mixed in. People who go to restaurants typically spend most of their evening at their restaurant and want to park right in front of it. Richmond offers that. Clubbers, on the other hand, often visit multiple establishments and like to walk between them, so they need parking that's safe and convenient but not necesarily right at the front door. Downtown has that.

Mabe it is best for the clubs to go downtown, mabe Richmond can become the new "hippie" area with lots of tattoo places and phycis on the street. That would be cool!

"Feces on the street"?!? Richmond Ave. has always had that. I'll assume you meant "psychics".

Seriously, you don't build a new "hippie area". Those evolve on their own and they are usually undesirable until they decline to a point where neighbors work to rebuild the neighborhood. A "hippie area" is really out-of-step with Uptown -- as is "Richmond Strip". That's why it's dying.

Mabe it is best for the clubs to go downtown, mabe Richmond can become the new "hippie" area with lots of tattoo places and phycis on the street. That would be cool!

Considering that you don't live there (Richmond Strip) or even frequent there, why would you want it to change to something it isn't? Even more so, I could understand the concept of wanting to see an area improve, but why would you want an area to go down in value by having gypsies & psychics on the sidewalks. Do you think that would really draw more people to that place? The last place I'd bring my kids is to is the area you described above.

In response to the Restaurant Row idea, Tilman Fertitta could make a killing on Richmond. He could turn the Richmond Strip portion into Fertitta Land, you know, basically the Kemah Boardwalk, but on Richmond. Almost anything has got to be better than what's there now, the Richmond Strip is just too close to Uptown to be so rundown looking.

In response to the Restaurant Row idea, Tilman Fertitta could make a killing on Richmond. He could turn the Richmond Strip portion into Fertitta Land, you know, basically the Kemah Boardwalk, but on Richmond.  Almost anything has got to be better than what's there now, the Richmond Strip is just too close to Uptown to be so rundown looking.

Why don't we tear down Richmond, make it Fertita land, add some water, some gondalas and make a Houston Riverwalk down the middle of the street! LOL!

let's add in some "Jaws" animatronic sharks, save ourself on some traffic, and make the city even more unique ;)

it will save on potholes. We can get everywhere by high paying gondaler paddlers! ;)

btw, you all know this is sarcasim right LOL :)

Why don't we tear down Richmond, make it Fertita land, add some water, some gondalas and make a Houston Riverwalk down the middle of the street! LOL!

let's add in some "Jaws" animatronic sharks, save ourself on some traffic, and make the city even more unique ;)

it will save on potholes. We can get everywhere by high paying gondaler paddlers! ;)

btw, you all know this is sarcasim right LOL :)

:lol:

Okay, now I guess it's time for da DJ point of view, huh? :)

First off, Richmond Strip was WAAAAYYYYY more dynamic when da cops didn't shut down the street before, like, 1am. Club 2 club, party 2 party, da beautiful cars, da people lounging outside, it's EVERYTHING a clubber or out-of-towner could have wanted. So first thing, the Richmond party curfew has GOT TO GO!!! Let da party last till at LEAST 6am like it used to, which meant for Houston that the party NEVER stopped.

Two, I'd like to see Richmond Strip get remodeled landscaping wise, kinda like Westiemer on the other side of 610 from Galleria. Palm Trees and christmas lights in the medians. It'd go well with the already existing businesses on the Strip.

Third, I would REALLY love to eventually see Richmond Strip become home to some resort-type hotels. Wouldn't it be cool to lounge in a resort right after the club? I think it would mean a tourist BOOM for Galleria AND Downtown.

Finally, Houston is MUCH better off with two separate party districts: Richmond Strip AND Main Street. Main Street is a GREAT pedestrian-urban-clubbing-high class environment, while Richmond is a great cruising, relax-outside, down-to-earth, drive to Denny's after the club environment. The clubs on Richmond are much bigger and spacious as well.

Oh, and to answer the comments about the thugs taking over Downtown clubs, I think so long as there is a Richmond Strip, that will not happen.

DT has many advantages with the "thug" problem as was previously mentioned. Another thing is that if they (thugs) hang out in the corners, they will be directly looked at by the cops and can't cause as much problems with clientel going from one club to another.

One thing that alot of people didn't mention on here is that the gridlock actually works for the police and safety overall. while accidents DO occur, they are not at a high speed. It's the same gridlock that prohibits the "thugs" from making a fast get away.

From my observations, the "thugs" hang out over by commerce and Franklin streets in the clubs in that particular section of DT.

Also some of us don't always want to drive downtown when we live a bit far from the area as well. Richmond is MUCH closer to me then going all the way downtown! I'd love a hotspot on the strip!!

I think places like "Hard Rock Cafe" need to be there. Fun places! :)

I know Dave and Busters and Joe's Crab Shack and Little Pappasitos are on the strip as it is.

But those old nonexistant clubs and dumpy looking clubs and worn out looking strip centers makes the area look pretty bad! :(

First off, Richmond Strip was WAAAAYYYYY more dynamic when da cops didn't shut down the street before, like, 1am. Club 2 club, party 2 party, da beautiful cars, da people lounging outside, it's EVERYTHING a clubber or out-of-towner could have wanted. So first thing, the Richmond party curfew has GOT TO GO!!! Let da party last till at LEAST 6am like it used to, which meant for Houston that the party NEVER stopped.

The cops wouldn't have to shut the street down if the retards from T-town and Coco-Locos didn't go on a stabbin' & shootin' party every weekend. Shut those two clubs down and you probably could open the street back up after 1am.

As was mentioned on another post, quite a bit of the trouble was caused by non-patrons who didn't have anything else better to do or could afford to go to clubs.

It's quite unfair (no matter how justified) it is to simply lump a particular clientle with a bunch of trouble.

Ricco

If you want to see Richmond (the road) beautified, start a civic organization, club or work on forming a TIRZ. These can handle beautification.

Just look at Richmond through Greeway and by Kirby. Upper Kirby District paid for and worked on that area.

The city can mostly just repair the road.

As for the strip. I think it's days may be numbered with the Downtown and Midtown being the place to go to. Of course, what would I know, I hang out on Pacific St. and Fairview.

The cops wouldn't have to shut the street down if the retards from T-town and Coco-Locos didn't go on a stabbin' & shootin' party every weekend. Shut those two clubs down and you probably could open the street back up after 1am.

If I recall, those violent incidents occurred OUTSIDE the clubs and/or in the parking lots (and I agree, I think those people are ruining the party atmosphere and good time for the rest of us.)

But when I'm refering to that 1am curfew, I'm referring to the Richmond Strip itself (the street) being shut down after, like, 1am. I don't think the street itself was where the violence occurred. I never felt threatened while actually on the road. If anything, I'd suggest the place that felt most unsecure were the parking lots of clubs and not Richmond Avenue. So, like, let's open up the Strip once again, and beef up security and law enforcement in the lots, and deter violence and drunk driving before it starts. I think then, everyone would win :-)

I disagree.  I think the days of Richmond party strip have passed.  I think all efforts should be directed towards creating a vibrant club/party district in downtown.

That's just my opinion.

I agree, Houston doesn't need sprawling entertainment districts, like its sprawling housing development. It needs to focus on making one thing great, instead of building half-ass near somethings that fall apart after a decade. Houston is great at building unstainable communities that decline from disinvestment after a few decades. Many of the neighborhoods that we consider lower status were once nice middle class communities.

If the Richmond strip declines, that'll do two things 1) make the area near the city core more appealing to restauranteurs and club operators and 2) depress land prices near richmond, allowing it to be redeveloped into something better, perhaps with more density.

In the grand scheme of things, Richmond Avenue overall is still pretty healthy. It's just not "the strip" anymore. Like the DJ said, the cops shut down the street on weekends--well, shut it down in that they redirected traffic off the street to keep people from cruising up and down for hours at a time. But the businesses are still mostly there. Heck, I even saw that T-Town has reopened as some other locale. I think it's more for a younger (that is, under 21) crowd.

Regardless, the street needs fixing! The bumps and dips and potholes are out of control, especially east of Jeanetta. Even inside the loop, from the loop itself to about Weslyan, it's a rough ride.

Fix it!