Makeover For Richmond Ave.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the businesses along Richmond Road should try to form a TIRZ. This will take care of the road and public infrastructure issues. Whether or not they do it shows if they really care about their community.

The older I get, the more I tend to agree with that statement.  *sigh*

:lol::lol:

The Main Street redevelopment dates from the late 1990s after the Rice Lofts were opened. Nothing against bars here ;) , but if there are too many in one place I think they can tend to discourage more varied development, not serve as pioneers. Not many people are going to want to spend a lot on a high rise condo or shop at a nice store if the sidewalk smells like spilt beer and sick and drunks are wandering around. The pioneer theory might work better if the pioneers are art galleries, restaurants, or other small businesses, because they have the potential to draw more varied crowds. All that being said, Main Street is as good a place as any to have an "entertainment district". There is plenty of room in other parts of downtown, especially the south end, for higher-quality development. Houston Pavillions is a good example.

I tend to more agree with Subdude, RE: bars and the overall affect on DT. The Simple fact of the matter is that not all urbanists--and this includes the pseudo-urbanist--want to be in the middle of the party scene. They like the convenience of walking to a store, a restaurant, a dry cleaner, etc more than maybe the like to hear the cha-cha-cha and the boom-bip or what have you at 2:00 AM.

In South Beach, the "party scene" is relatively small, only about ten total blocks, while the rest of the "urban scene" where people live and not staying in hotels, extend away from SoBe's party zones. And the look and feel of those neighborhoods are decidedly different.

I'd like to see the corridor along Texas Avene east of San Jacinto pick up as a location for new downtown residential.

I'd also like to see the empty lots on either side of Main Street from Polk to St. Joseph's experience residential infill/reconstruction. The overall affect, IMO, would make DT denser and more complete from the street level. I think the taller towers would work well further south while the midrise (4-8) projects would work better on the northern stretch of lower downtown and along Texas Avenue. Just my opinion, though.

Main Street's party scene should be preserved for tourists and the local party animals, just like Bourbon Street.

• The title was changed to Makeover For Richmond Ave.