Carrousel Motor Hotel At 3330 Reveille Rd.

Ashikaga

Carrousel was sued in 1967:

Plaintiff sued Carrousel Motor Hotel, Inc., the Brass Ring Club, Inc., and R. W. Flynn, alleging plaintiff was invited to dinner by third parties at the Brass Ring Club, operated by defendant Carrousel; that plaintiff was standing in the serving line holding his dinner plate when "plaintiff was assaulted by defendant Flynn, Manager of said Brass Ring Club, who walked over to plaintiff, seized his dinner plate, and violently tore it out of his hand. At the same time, Flynn shouted in a loud and offensive manner that plaintiff, a negro, could not be served there." Plaintiff alleged as a result of Flynn's conduct, "plaintiff suffered great mental anguish and humiliation."

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=14860459183713200205

and

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=6883926698126604771

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, a lot of sad stories to go along with it, including the supposed link to a mob member/ of the Kennedy assassination plot.

Too bad...I can remember xxx's on the promotional sign outside when I was a teen.

The remnants of the place sat there empty for quite a while.

P.S. Maybe these two Carrousel threads can be combined.

The auction has...ended. I promise to post a high res image, though! :)

In the past, on ebay, when an auction has ended, and they still show the picture, I have been able to send an email to the buyer directly, and they will let me purchase it. It's worth a try.

My scanner has been acting up but here are the two images from the advertisement - the text reads:

Architect: William Tamminga. Consulting Structural Engineer: Karl A. Krause. Steel Fabricator: Mosher Steel Company.

Steel Erector: Palmer Erection Company. Bethlehem supplied structural steel for this job.

Eight months from the day they broke ground for the Carrousel Motor Hotel, near the International Airport of Houston, it opened for business...and the owner's investment started paying off.

A good deal of the credit for this remarkable speed record must be given to the architect's choice of steel framing for the 110 guest rooms, the large dining room, and the promenade. The steelwork not only went up fast, but also permitted all the other trades to move in quickly, and speed up the motor hotel's completion.

Thanks also to the steel frame, the owner will be able to expand the hotel quickly and economically. A new steel frame can be tied in to the old one without having to put in another set of columns and losing floor area.

carrousel_1961_600_part.jpg

carrousel_1961_part.jpg

This ebay ad gives the name of the architect for the Carrousel. From what I can tell, it's William Tamminga. Listed in AIA list, one date references 1956-1963.

At one time he was part of the firm - Ford, Colley, & Tamminga.

O'Neil Ford (1905-1982) was the Ford in Ford, Colley, & Tamminga. About Ford I quote from the AIA Architects Directory:

"In 1926, Ford entered the Dallas office or architect David R. Williams, where he served an apprenticeship. Flamboyant and often outrageous, Williams had "star quality" and, quite naturally, was Ford's first role model and mentor. Williams closed his practice in the early '30s; as deputy administrator of the National Youth Administration from 1936 to 1941, and in influential posts with other federal depression-recovery agencies, he was able to direct commissions to Ford.

Ford formed his first viable partnership in 1936 with Arch Swank. Significant early jobs for the Dallas office of Ford and Swank were the Little Chapel in the Woods on the campus of Texas Women's University, constructed by National Youth Administration trainees and college art students; and a house on St. Joseph's Island for oilman Sid Richardson.

Ford's move to San Antonio was precipitated by his work as consulting architect on another NYA project, the restoration of La Villita. He married Wanda Graham in 1940 and settled into the Graham homestead, Willow Way. The house's ambience dramatically influenced what come to be called the Ford style: a mix of worn stone and low-fired bricks, tile floors, and well-crafted wood, united by a lack of pretension. In 1946, Ford formed a new partnership with Jerry Rogers that lasted until 1953. Their interest in innovative building systems, such as the Youtz-Slick lift slab process, was put to the test in 1949 when, thanks to William Wurster, another enthusiastic Ford supporter, Ford & Rogers won the commission to design a new campus for Trinity University in San Antonio in association with Bartlett Cocke & Associates. Their work at Trinity would span three decades.

The firm known as O'Neil Ford & Associates was established in 1953 (lasting until 1966), as was Ford's Houston-based partnership with Richard Colley and William Tamminga, which lasted until 1956. From the mid-'50s on, associated architects Ford, Colley & Swank, with planner Samuel B. Zisman, collaborated on a number of projects for Texas Instruments.

The partnership with Boone Powell and Chris Carson came into being in 1967. Campuses for Skidmore College in New York and the first phase of UT San Antonio (in association with Bartlett Cocke) are examples of the firm's work."

It can be seen then that Tamminga was associated, from early in his career, with innovative architects and architecture.

• 6 months later...

CarrouselMotorHotelSign01.jpg

...here's a GoogleEarth aerial photo of where the Carrousel Motor Hotel Sign sits.

My source of info. was Rusty Shackleford (Thank you) on the Park Place Info. (Facebook) site.

He has posted a photo of the top of the sign's star, seen from the top of the fence. Check it out. He talks of the owner having lots of antiques, doesn't want to sell them. I wish I could visit this place. adddress : west of 7231 Long Dr. Notice it's the octogon shaped rusty figure. Looks like it, to me.

Methinks this may not be it. The Carrousel was on Reveille, immediately south of 610. With the google satellite view one can see the triangular layout, the circular office/lounge, and the outline of the swimming pool.

I guess I should have bolded the word sign...the resting place for the carrousel motel sign is what I'm talking about. There were actually two, it is the smaller one is the one I think sits in that enclosed yard...The people (like myself) who grew up with that sign loved it so much. Had horses, twirled around, at Christmas, had Santa on it.

Methinks this may not be it. The Carrousel was on Reveille, immediately south of 610. With the google satellite view one can see the triangular layout, the circular office/lounge, and the outline of the swimming pool.

I am actually pointing out the sign that was also a carrousel, sitting now in someone's private salvage yard. I guess I should have bolded the word sign. There were two of them...the smaller one sits in this enclosed yard, per the guy from Facebook.

As kids, we were more intrigued by that sign, than the actual Motor Hotel, because it twirled, with horses, at Christmas, a dummy Santa rode on one.

PS: I was lucky enough to grow up with that place, guess the sign reminded us of Peppermint Park, across the street.

• 2 years later...

The Carrousel horse from the vintage twirling carousel sign is on EBay, starting bid 649.00. Approx. 1day. 20 hrs. Left.

Looks familiar.

Wait a minute... How many horses were there, originally, on that sign? I don't know.

Here's the listing for now - nice find!

This is a vintage fiberglass carousel horse off of the sign that was The Carousel Motel in Houston Texas near Gulfgate Mall and Peppermint Park. The carousel was an actual working carousel that was above the motel in the early 1960's. There were 5 horses on the carousel. The motel was torn down in the 80's and the carousel sign was taken down and auctioned off. I wanted to buy the entire carousel with all the horses to use as a sign for my business ( Sweet Dreams Ice Cream and Candy Store ) but when it was taken down it was in terrible shape. a virtual rust bucket. I ended up buying the best horse out of the lot. It was originally a black horse. It is all original. I have never repainted it or done any repairs to it. Other than the paint it is in very good condition. There is a film available on the internet that shows the Carousel Motel in its glory days. The carousel actually revolved at the top of the sign. The film is about Houston, Texas in the early 1960's. A Night in Houston 1960    It shows movie theaters, restaurants, attractions etc. The carousel is at about the middle of the film just after the Alabama Theater. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Historical-Vintage-Carousel-Horse-Amusement-from-Carousel-Motel-Houston-Texas-/201073514138

• The title was changed to Carrousel Motor Hotel At 3310 Reveille St.
  • The title was changed to Carrousel Motor Hotel At 3330 Reveille Rd.

Archived