Midtown Mixed-Use By Kirskey Architecture

lockmat

10 hours ago, cspwal said:

Lots of cities get rain and have subway stations; I'm sure there's a way to do this, even if it is as simple as having a cistern under each station for the water to drain into (I'm talking Cistern @ Buffalo Bayou Park size)

The tunnels downtown don't flood when it rains, I'm just saying

The tunnels have flooded in the past where they were vulnerable to the flooding close to the bayou through garages. The symphony and ballet lost wardrobes and must manuscripts worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. They put in submarine type doors. The tunnels downtown don't have open air access. All of the entrances are inside totally climate controlled skyscrapers.  

A subway station would have open stairways that would look like waterfalls after one of our big rains. Look up the flooding in new yours subway lines a couple of years ago. A Cistern that large would add so much to the cost and I don't think there's that kind of room down there for that type of storage. I also don't believe that they can build that kind of structure without opening up the earth to build the storage tank(cistern). It would have to be excavated.

I don't want to make this an ongoing back and forth. I personally like the idea of subways but until someone can show feasibility studies and cost analysis for doing that kind of construction that proves it can be done in a comparative price range thats fine . I don't think all of the things you are proposing would be cost effective, and like I said in my original statement unless there is someone like John Arnold or the Duncans who would like to donate the money it not going to happen since all rail funds are going to be cut in the new budget.

I found this in an article about tunneling in soft soil.

"When tunnelling in urban environments, other tunnels, existing utility lines and deep foundations need to be addressed in the early planning stages. The project must accommodate measures to mitigate any detrimental effects to other infrastructure. Subsidence is not the only problem when it comes to tunneling in an urban environment. Additional critical failure events such as face instability, collapse and large deformations of either or both excavation or its lining can lead to undesirable consequences such as injuries or loss of life, damage to third parties, additional costs, and delays in completion of the tunnel project." 

The tunnel replacing the Alaskan Viaduct in Seattle is being bored through what is mostly clay and sand (sound familiar?) with some boulders thrown in for grins, and is adjacent to Seattle's waterfront.  Granted, they don't get our Biblical rains, but they do have earthquakes to contend with.  All that said, the project is now several years behind schedule because first, they hit an iron pipe that tore up the machine, and had to dig it all out, then more recently a sinkhole developed.  It's also hella expensive.

I really don't know the technical details or cost analysis and the last thing I want to do on a friday afternoon is get into a deep discussion about tunneling. I think its an interesting question and I wish someone who really knew the answers could help us out. 

I love the subway system in New York and its connectivity. I don't care how they complete the grid, just do it.

Its unfortunate that we were so close three years ago and then John Culbertson slammed the door shut.

This would all be a moot point.

• The title was changed to Midtown Mixed-Use By Kirskey Architecture

Archived