Front Row Tickets

WestGrayGuy

Forum members,

I am trying to get the word out about an incident that occurred this past week here in Houston. This email was forwarded to me and it really infuriates me. Despite what your personal views may be, hate should not be tolerated.

Here is the email:

Please read below what happened to Vernon & I on Saturday evening... Adam

--

On Saturday evening my boyfriend and I were driving on Kirby. While stopped at the traffic light on Westheimer, we kissed, only to be interrupted by someone honking their horn at us from behind. When we turned around, we saw a guy and his friend yelling at us. They yelled that we were FAGS and that we should die and go to hell. They followed us down the road yelling and harrassing us. They made a right on Shepperd but not before letting us further know their views on homosexuality.

Unfortunately, this kind of thing happens quite often without us being able to do anything about it. These idiots didn't realize, however, that they were in a bright yellow hummer that had their company phone number, 713 TICKETS, in big font . The first thing we did was call the number to find out who was driving the car. It turns out the owner and one of his assistants were the people shouting at us. The receptionists apologized for his boss' behavior and gave us the boss' name, Kent Maree. His assistant, who was also shouting obscenties at us, is Max Velazquez.

A friend of mine, who is black, called Kent this monring to ask if this is the way he treats all minorities. Kent responded by saying that it is a free country and he can express his views as he wishes. He also let my friend know that Fags choose to be fags and they should burn in hell.

Since this is a free country, I urge you all to please give Kent a call and let him know your opinion on the way he expresses his views and his business practices. Pass this on to as many people as you know so that they too can give Kent and Max a piece of their mind. Their number is 713TICKETS.

Thanks for you help.

Vernon Caldera

They won't be having my business unless they change ownership. I'll be giving them a ring soon. Have you thought about sending this to one of the television staions? I think all there customers should know what kind of a person there money is going to.

Something about 713-FRONTROW sounded familiar to me, so I Googled it and, sure enough, this is the ticket broker at 1311 Polk next to Toyota Center.

Many of you may have seen it...it is the one with the HUGE yellow sign that says "JESUS IS THE REASON", or something to that effect. I found it strange that such a big Jesus fan would be a ticket scalper, but oh well.

Now, to find out he is a big, stinkin', yellow Hummer driver, and a gay basher to boot....well, it just all seems to fit together in a nice, neat package.

Well, Vern, you got my support on this, and I'll spread the word.

Take care.

They sound like cretins. WestGray, my suggestion would be that you forward the email to the Astros, Wortham, Alley Theater, or any other businesses for which these chuckleheads sell tickets. After all, it doesn't help their image if they are doing business with people like this.

You should also forward it to their advertisers and explain your concern. Here's their address: http://www.713-tickets.com/index.html

Before everyone goes off on this, does anyone even know who sent the E-mail originally? How do we know this person isn't just pissed off about not getting some tickets or something and is launching this to sabotage the ticket company? I'm not saying that is the case and if it did really happen, it's a sad commentary, but it smells a little like revenge E-mail terrorism without there being any personal account of the story. This is all "forwarded" and accounts from friends of friends, etc.

Before everyone goes off on this, does anyone even know who sent the E-mail originally? How do we know this person isn't just pissed off about not getting some tickets or something and is launching this to sabotage the ticket company? I'm not saying that is the case and if it did really happen, it's a sad commentary, but it smells a little like revenge E-mail terrorism without there being any personal account of the story. This is all "forwarded" and accounts from friends of friends, etc.

That crossed my mind too, dal.

I guess the best way to verify it would be to call that number yourself, ask a couple of questions, and see what sort of response you get.

That being said, it does pass the "smell test" (unfortunately). As a not-especially effeminate Montrose resident, I've been subjected to this sort of behavior many times, up to and including physical assault. I'm not going to let it wreck my life - but it's no fun, either.

I received this email as well--actually about 5 or 6 times so far this week--from friends who were just as outraged. I don't know Vernon Caldera (no one who sent it to me did either) though one shows up in HCAD.

I tend to take a pessimistic view since only a total idiot would spew such crap from a car emblazoned with their company logo. Oh, and that receptionist should be fired for so freely giving up her bosses details ;).

Since yesterday this email has made the rounds through the "community". Needless to say, people are pissed.

I tend to believe this incident happened as the email contains names of the couple and names of the business owner and associate. I understand that email has made its way to the Chronicle, Houston Press, mayor's office and Channel Two.

The owner of Front Row Tickets made two mistakes. The first, spewing hate from a company vehicle. (Total dumbass) And secondly, spewing hate in the month of June. June is our Pride month and we are already a little sensitive. There is nothing like something like this to rally the troops.

I too wonder if this some hoax to get back at Front Row tickets. I have personally sent an email to Front Row Tickets and have yet to get a repsonse. Perhaps they have been overwhelmed by free speech?

• 2 weeks later...

I remembered this thread when I was reading the Houston Press over the weekend. I'm not exactly sticking up for the Hummer guys, but the other side of the story says the honking came into play when the "embrace" continued after the light turned to green and the car was still stopped in front of the hummer on the road. The Hummer guys said that's what they were honking about.

I am not sure who to believe but let me tell you, Front Row Tickets got a lot of emails out of it. I even got an email from a New York rag asking what happened.

I would think they might change their story to save face.

Needless to say, I don't think the community will be using that outlet anytime soon.