Vehicle Tunnels In Houston

Vehicle tunnels in Houston

What happened to them?

Washburn Tunnel in Houston

washburn_tunnel.jpg

The reason I ask is because I just got back for NYC and to get to Manhattan from Long Island, you must ride through a tunnel. I was wondering why Houston isn't in to the tunnel thing. There is on in Houston still going called the Washburn Tunnel. Dallas is planing to build the largest on in America, and Boston has plenty of them. What do you guys think? Should Houston build more tunnels?

The Big Dig in Boston

800px-Tunnel-large.jpg

I think the movie you are referring to is daylight w/ sly stalone...but i think tunnels are pretty cool...i love going under the mobile bay in mobile, AL on I-10...except once when a storm knocked powerlines on to the road and backed up traffic for 6 miles each way

If you like tunnels, check out the still under construction interchange at Sam Houston Tollway and Westpark Tollway. Vehicles traveling south on the Sam Houston Tollway wishing to go east on the Wespark Tollway will exit on the left side through a tunnel in the median and go underneath the northbound Sam Houston lanes. You can see the tunnel starting to take shape; this afternoon I saw lights on in it. Keep in mind that the main lanes are already submerged at this point of Beltway 8. This will truly be a unique freeway interchange.

What happened to them?

I was wondering why Houston isn't in to the tunnel thing. There is on in Houston still going called the Washburn Tunnel.

The short answer is that tunnels are very expensive.

The longer answer is that tunnels are also expensive to maintain, usually have restrictions for hazardous materials, generally can't be constructed very wide (Big Dig is an exception), and competing technologies (such as cable-stayed bridges) are getting cheaper.

In Dallas, the planned I-635 tunnels are somewhat of a unique situation where the public involvement process steered toward it, but it was really made possible by Dallas' geology of strong but easy-to-cut chaulk limestone. The cost of the tunnels will be very low by tunnel standards.

There has been talk of tunnels in other urban areas, such as connecting the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco to the freeway system, the Gowanus expressway in New York City, and possibly a tunnel in Washington DC. I think it is safe to say that after the Big Dig financial fiasco none of those projects will happen. My guess is that the Dallas project will be the only major under-land tunnel to be built in the US in the next couple decades.

cute for a date or a mini roadtrip to 2 of the mini tunnels in that area, the san jacinto monument, battleship & the ship channel -- being a tourist in you own town... so nostalgic, you could even get a ticket from a small town cop on the way back. quite endearing...

I think the movie you are referring to is daylight w/ sly stalone...but i think tunnels are pretty cool...i love going under the mobile bay in mobile, AL on I-10...except once when a storm knocked powerlines on to the road and backed up traffic for 6 miles each way

yeah, thats it.

I would love for my personal "Houston tunnel vision" to become reality.

Simply an express tunnel under the West Loop either for San Felipe or Westheimer (for thru traffic) dip below ground before the railroad tracks and re-emerges near Sage or just a bit further west. Local traffic could still use above ground grid.

This has the potential to un-clog so much traffic that transits the Galleria/Post Oak area. Obviously costing billion$ and plus the need for new ideas about storm runoff to eliminate flooding.

Unfortunately, surface street traffic enhancements of this magnitute would never be considered.

I would love for my personal "Houston tunnel vision" to become reality.

Simply an express tunnel under the West Loop either for San Felipe or Westheimer (for thru traffic) dip below ground before the railroad tracks and re-emerges near Sage or just a bit further west. Local traffic could still use above ground grid.

This has the potential to un-clog so much traffic that transits the Galleria/Post Oak area. Obviously costing billion$ and plus the need for new ideas about storm runoff to eliminate flooding.

Unfortunately, surface street traffic enhancements of this magnitute would never be considered.

ACTUALLY...there are people in high places discussing EXACTLY what you've proposed: the "Superstreet" concept. From what I've heard, Westheimer will be the first "superstreet" in Houston, with grade-separated crossings at BW-8, 610, and other major intersections. I believe the "grade-separated" crossings will be something similar to what you see on Main Street through the Med Center, or OST under Griggs. There will be "thru" lanes where you don't have to stop at a signal, with a signal-controlled intersection at a different elevation.

I swear I heard that the Westheimer-BW8 interchange will become a reality soon, meaning construction is coming soon.

The superstreets are part of HGAC's 2025 transportation plan.

By the way, the flooding issue is not an insurmountable problem. You use a stormwater pump system. It's not perfect, but it works for all but the heaviest of rains. We have numerous examples of below-grade roadways here in Houston...the Katy Fwy inside the Loop, the Southwest Fwy inside the Loop, the I-10/BW8 feeder interchange, etc, etc, etc. These roads are well known because they flood in severe rainfalls, but the pumps are able to handle the rain 99% of the time. The occasional flooding problems are obviously worth the benefits of the grade-separated roadways.

What happened to them?

Washburn Tunnel in Houston

The reason I ask is because I just got back for NYC and to get to Manhattan from Long Island, you must ride through a tunnel. I was wondering why Houston isn't in to the tunnel thing. There is on in Houston still going called the Washburn Tunnel. Dallas is planing to build the largest on in America, and Boston has plenty of them. What do you guys think? Should Houston build more tunnels?

The Big Dig in Boston

Why is Dallas building the tunnel for, yo?

The Katy Freeway in the loop is the only depressed section without a pump system. It it able to use gravity except for when White Oak Bayou starts rising. TxDOT is working on a solution currenlty.

Dallas is buildinga the tunnel on I-635 to remove through traffic. It's like dedicated lanes to people that are passing through.

The last section of the Katy Freeway redo is going to be the section from Washington to the loop. I am quite sure that TxDOT will design it so that we minimize the risk of an Allison repeat. While TxDOT is not afraid to depress a section if it is feasible, all of these designs require pumping and everyone knows that Houston cannot get away with natural drainage anymore on something like that.

The only thing happening withing the loop is a pavement rebuild and to prepare the freeway to the transistion of the interchange with I-610. Other than that, the connection to the Northwest Transit center will be built.

Nothing in the depressed section. TxDOT is still searching for a solution. On was thrown out by the communities along the freeway alread. TxDOT was planning on building feeder roads from TC Jester to Washington. The would allow some relief when the freeway does flood. The plan would have destroyed park and residents claimed increased noise.

TxDOT's only other alternative is to find a place to pump and store the water. The community which objected to the feeder road is scheduling the meeting to work with them.

I'm a part of the community and we have a concept that may work for TxDOT.

It is important to remember that TxDOT nor any other agency will build something to offset an Allison type of event. At most, TxDOT will build some sort of pump station that will help with the 25-year event. Anything beyond that would be a waste of taxpayer money. It is also important to remember that a 25-year storm isn't much smaller than a 100-year storm.

I'm part of Cottage Grove and White Oak Bayou Association (WOBA).

We met last friday with HCTRA, Adrian Garcia, and Art Story. The keyed us in on TxDOT's need for a place to store the water. We haven't made a decision yet. We are working on setting up a concept to propose to TxDOT. The issues are a little involve with TxDOT appearing to be a facilitator.

The whole I-10 underwater thing wasn't our concern, but we will be leading towards a partnership with them TxDOT.

• 2 weeks later...

That would be a great idea.

I don't see why people don't like all the traffic though, I see it like this, if the traffic is not there the place isn't "happening."

I would also like to see pedestrians in that area to though, a mix of both will give it that urban vibe.