The Heights Historic Districts

Tiko

Judge for yourself.  I think the HAHC has completely lost the plot.  Any Houston politician who enables or in any way supports this type of zoning control over one's domicile needs to be thrown out of public service.  Vote with your vote:

1207 Harvard gets toasted by the zoning commission.

Wow.

Just, wow.

So Council approves an ordinance that basically requires camelbacks.  HAHC finds camelbacks distasteful, and refuses to approve.

Message: only buy a property with intent to renovate if you don't plan to increase square footage. Good luck with that.

• Like 1

Have no fear the jack-boot architecture facists of the HAHC have plenty of experience stuffing people into small confines, boxcars, etc.

I would allow it to crumble to nothing just to spite the gestappo [sic]. 

HAHC Uber Alles

Godwin's law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies[1][2]) is an argument made by Mike Godwin in 1990[2] that has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

I think the Nazi and fascist comparisons began in this thread a very long time ago. In fact, the HAHC has now eclipsed passe Nazi references. What we need here is a term to describe capricious and arbitrary rulings, as HAHC just made a ruling, not on the rules in the ordinance, but rather based on "complaints from the neighborhood". Ironically, these complaints were of HAHC's own rulings.

• Like 2

Wow is all I can say.  I live down the street from this house and I have to say, it is just about the ONLY house on the street that does NOT fit in w/ the surrounding houses.  Most of the houses on the blockface are large and just about every house across the street is a two story - in fact one of them is a 3-story uber-house that must be at least 3,500 square fee.

Not to mention that it is right next-door to a hideous apartment building, and I would LOVE to see this house remodeled, as would everyone on our street.  We used to call it the Haloween house because the previous  owner/tenants painted it black and orange one year...

I hope the new owners get their approval for the remodel and addition shortly.

Cheers

James

• Like 1

I think the Nazi and fascist comparisons began in this thread a very long time ago. In fact, the HAHC has now eclipsed passe Nazi references. What we need here is a term to describe capricious and arbitrary rulings, as HAHC just made a ruling, not on the rules in the ordinance, but rather based on "complaints from the neighborhood". Ironically, these complaints were of HAHC's own rulings.

This is exactly my point. The anti-historic district people have done nothing from the beginning but gone all talk radio on this issue without providing anything constructive to make the process better. At least RUDH produced a lengthy document of proposed changes to the Walmart development while simultaneously opposing the same and refrained from the completely off the wall accusations and name calling that have come from anti-historic district people.

Calling the HAHC "fascist" or comparing them to Nazis is so indefensibly over the top that it shows that those opposing the districts have nothing but an irrational hatred for any sort of land use restriction that is not based on an particular set of principles, but, instead, comes from the same sort of inflamatory talk radio garbage that appeals to a small minority of people. Last I checked, Nazis and facists did not provide the right to appeal their decisions to a democratically elected counsel with a further right to challenge that body's decision to a democratically elected, independent judiciary. But, of course, those facts do not matter when you are practicing irrational ideological zealotry. Demogoguery plays well inside the echo chamber of the anti-ordinance supporters. But it completely turns off anyone who might be on the fence and just reinforces the determination of supporters.

Calling the HAHC "fascist" or comparing them to Nazis is so indefensibly over the top.

That particular line is indeed indefensible, and I'd agree it's indefensible because it is over the top talking point, which shouldn't have really been taken as more than a frustrated outburst.

More worryingly, all of the less over the top accusations of the HAHC are indefensible as well. That's because what they are being accused of is what people were afraid they were going to do with the wording of the Ordinance, and it's all coming true.

Point taken on the Nazi references. It's old hat and over the top.

I will apologize in advance to anyone of Turkish background for my substitute phrase to describe the members of HAHC.

I'm offering up the term "Byzantine" as I think it fits rather well.

Byzantine definition

jargon, architecture

A term describing any system that has so many labyrinthine internal interconnections that it would be impossible to simplify by separation into loosely coupled or linked components.

The city of Byzantium, later renamed Constantinople and then Istanbul, and the Byzantine Empire were vitiated by a bureaucratic overelaboration bordering on lunacy: quadruple banked agencies, dozens or even scores of superfluous levels and officials with high flown titles unrelated to their actual function, if any.

Access to the Emperor and his council was controlled by powerful and inscrutable eunuchs and by rival sports factions.

[Edward Gibbon, "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"].

(1999-01-15)

This is exactly my point. The anti-historic district people have done nothing from the beginning but gone all talk radio on this issue without providing anything constructive to make the process better. At least RUDH produced a lengthy document of proposed changes to the Walmart development while simultaneously opposing the same and refrained from the completely off the wall accusations and name calling that have come from anti-historic district people.

Calling the HAHC "fascist" or comparing them to Nazis is so indefensibly over the top that it shows that those opposing the districts have nothing but an irrational hatred for any sort of land use restriction that is not based on an particular set of principles, but, instead, comes from the same sort of inflamatory talk radio garbage that appeals to a small minority of people. Last I checked, Nazis and facists did not provide the right to appeal their decisions to a democratically elected counsel with a further right to challenge that body's decision to a democratically elected, independent judiciary. But, of course, those facts do not matter when you are practicing irrational ideological zealotry. Demogoguery plays well inside the echo chamber of the anti-ordinance supporters. But it completely turns off anyone who might be on the fence and just reinforces the determination of supporters.

Faux outrage becomes you.

It is no surprise that you would fixate on a little wordplay in order to deflect attention away from the fact that your favorite government bureaucracy is doing exactly what we predicted they would. I don't blame you, though. If my favorite bureaucrats had dropped me in the grease as HAHC has done you, I'd not want to defend them either.

It sounds like the Kelmans are appealing the HAHC denial of CoA to the City Council.  From their petition on Change.org:
"...We appeal to the City of Houston Feb 14, so the more signatures we get, the merrier.

Please send the petition along if you care about historic preservation and restoration for growing families."

Or if you more generally care about the history, culture and Charter of Houston, Texas write an email to your Councilman, especially if you are represented by Ellen Cohen in the HD.  This is a chance to expose the ordinance for the toilet tissue it was predicted and now is shown to be.....a poorly crafted zoning ordinance that simply transfers power and money from citizens to government and accomplishes nothing of lasting value for our City.

Hi everybody! I am the owner of 1207 Harvard, Brie Kelman, who was in the tragic video posted earlier. I didn't know about this site until a day or two ago, when I was pointed to it from a fellow Heights mom I have never met on the Heights Kids Group site. WOW - HOW GREAT IT WAS TO FIND ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT AND COMMENTS! Thank you so much! I am amazed, flattered and grateful for all of your thoughtful comments and support.

Our appeal to the City of Houston takes place at 2:30 pm on Feb 14, and is an open, public meeting. Please come to support us! I spoke with one of the commissioners ~a week after our denial, and he said that they only hear from neighbors that are complaining about bad development or developments that are too big. He said that if there are neighbors that feel differently, they would love to know that b/c they don't want to act in isolation, differently than the neighborhood wants. Therefore, it would mean a LOT to have any of our supporters there in person and would have a huge impact.

WHEN: Feb 14 at 2:30 p.m.

WHERE: 900 Bagby St, Houston TX 77002, City Council Chambers, City Hall Annex

Also, you can help by sending the petition along if you care about historic preservation and restoration of neglected properties. I just updated it so that it will be sent to the mayor and ALL city council everytime someone signs. It seems to be working....I had no idea how much impact a simple, online petition made by little old me could make!

I have also recently updated the facebook album for photos of the house (as-is), as well as the proposed (currently denied) plans, as well as a few design inspirations:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.412758375469031.91045.412263832185152&type=1

Again - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I can't reiterate enough how shocked and grateful I was when I read through the multiple pages of comments, and I didn't know the video existed until finding it on this site. My husband was traveling for work, so he hadn't seen anything until I found it on this site (not that it made it any easier for him to watch!).

p.s. here is a link to the petition in case you haven't signed:

http://www.change.org/petitions/houston-archaeological-and-historical-commission-hahc-approve-application-to-restore-my-1920-home-that-has-been-neglected-for-yrs

Edited by briekelman
  • Like 1

We are pulling for you Briekelman. What they are doing to you is beyond unbelievable. It is appalling. We live in a 1915 bungalow and they use our home as an example of acceptable additions. We were against this ordinance precisely for this reason. It is unclear and subjective. I can only hope your pain is short-lived and possibly be the catalyst for some changes to the ordinance to make it go away ideally, or at least amended. Good luck!!

We are pulling for you Briekelman. What they are doing to you is beyond unbelievable. It is appalling. We live in a 1915 bungalow and they use our home as an example of acceptable additions. We were against this ordinance precisely for this reason. It is unclear and subjective. I can only hope your pain is short-lived and possibly be the catalyst for some changes to the ordinance to make it go away ideally, or at least amended. Good luck!!

• Like 1

Welcome to HAIF Brie!  And not long from now I hope to also welcome you to 1207 Harvard St in your beautifully restored home, just as you designed it.  I drove by the other day and there are many beautiful homes right on the street that yours will complement nicely. 

Also great job with the faux historical commission.  Your composure and class contrasted the spineless leadership and arbitrary actions of that political body, owned and appointed by our mayor.  Your coup de grace was after your $/sf arithmetic baffled Commissioner Elliot, self-proclaimed preserver of smallness, and he recommended you go the demolition route.....astonished Brie responds "But I don't want to demolish it, I want to keep it."  That says it all about the failure of the Ordinance and this Committee to serve the best interests of the citizens who bear all of its costs and must live among the far-too-numerous architectural mistakes of its misguided script.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

GOOD TRIUMPHS OVER EVIL

Though I got caught in court and could not make it to City Council this afternoon, I am happy to post this email I just received from Briekelman...

WE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE! THIS WAS SO EFFECTIVE!!!!

This message is from Brie Kelman who started the petition "Houston Archaeological and Historical Commission (HAHC): Approve application to restore my 1920 home that has been neglected for yrs," which you signed on Change.org.

View the petition  |  View and reply to this message online 

Congrats, Brie. You never let the preservationists get you down.

Congrats!  I wish I could have been able to help you out.  I am just ecstatic for you that you won.  It would be helpful to everyone in the future if you would post, or at the very least memorialize exactly how much extra time and money it cost you to fight the fascists.  That way future individuals doing searches on this topic will know exactly what they are getting themselves into.  Being as subjective as the ordinance is it would be very useful information to others.  I would guess you spent quite a bit of extra money and countless hours...but I would still think it would help others if you can count those countless hours and the dollars!

Congrats again!

I agree with the others....congratulations! I'm really confounded as to why HAHC tried to change the rules mid-game regarding the second-story setback, rather than adhering to the stated ordinance. It's great to have opinions and all, but their ruling seemed to had no basis and defied any common sense. Good luck with your home! 

Another astounding HAHC meeting today. Won't get into details but honestly, these folks are making an easy case for overturning/overhauling the ordinance. They have no idea what they are doing. They have no idea what the ordinance says. They have no idea about what design is all about. Clueless. Even funnier is they look like buffoons because they can’t even keep track of the things they have already voted on as a part of the consent agenda.  They are a kangaroo court of bumbling idiots whose day is coming in the not too distant future.

Best decision – to deny a two story house a two story addition – and said if the house was new, they would allow it?!?!?!?! 

Most comical – requiring a non-contributing house to use contributing materials and design on work that was done without a C of A or permits. 

I’m not sure they understand that the law takes a dim view of things that are administered as arbitrary and capricious as the rulings they make.  I think any judge watching any HAHC meeting would be shaking his head in absolute amazement that this is going on in the 4th largest city in the US.  It’s a total joke without the laugh.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I just got the latest DVD from the kangaroo court's March meeting. Houston Planning Director Marlene Gafrick opened the meeting by formally repudiating the published Heights Design Guidelines formerly used by her staff to assess Heights CoA's. Heightstonians are now officially flying blind on property investments with the worse yet to come.

I'll post a YouTube tonight.

Edited by fwki

Yes, beyond the usual insanity that occurs at the HAHC meetings, I was happy to see Sue Lovell (former city council member) stand up multiple times at the March meeting to support the homeowners in front of the board.  It's worth a watch.  I am not sure who contacted her and coordinated this effort but ......thank you whoever you are!  She was one of the few sane voices there and had many good points to make.

On the legal front, the lawsuit was amended and dropped all claims seeking to invalidate the historic ordinance.  This was in response to the City's plea to the jurisdiction.  They did not even try to respond to the plea to the jurisdiction.  All claims are just for money damages for the named plaintiff only (they added a takings claim and kept the equal protection/due process claim).  The claim is that they were damaged by not being able to get more money for their property had they been able to tear it down.  Of course they do not claim that they applied for and were denied a permit to tear it down.  And the property was renovated and sold for over $800k. 

regarding the "official" guidelines they are working on, I simply can't WAIT to see what they come up with now that the 90 day waiver period was taken out of the ordinance.  In the March meeting, one of the board members actually admits that their decisions, prior to the 90 day waiver period being axed, are different from the ones they make now.