Where To Find Houston's Ultimate Barbecue

Saw this on Chron.

In March, when the fires at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo cookoff scent the air for miles around Reliant Park, our thoughts naturally turn to barbecue.

Indeed, if we had an official civic perfume, it would consist of charry beef mixed with melting fat, plus a twist of red-peppery pork as a kicker. There are spots in this city where, after all my years here, I still love to stand and breathe. One's at my Jeep dealership on Kirby, where the mesquite smoke from nearby Goode Company ebbs and flows in intoxicating fashion. Another's in the parking lot of my neighborhood H-E-B, where the hickory-singed meat scents from the Gulfgate Pappas Bar-B-Q make me linger. It smells like home.

Full article here: http://www.chron.com...ok/6917049.html

Saw this on Chron.

In March, when the fires at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo cookoff scent the air for miles around Reliant Park, our thoughts naturally turn to barbecue.

Indeed, if we had an official civic perfume, it would consist of charry beef mixed with melting fat, plus a twist of red-peppery pork as a kicker. There are spots in this city where, after all my years here, I still love to stand and breathe. One's at my Jeep dealership on Kirby, where the mesquite smoke from nearby Goode Company ebbs and flows in intoxicating fashion. Another's in the parking lot of my neighborhood H-E-B, where the hickory-singed meat scents from the Gulfgate Pappas Bar-B-Q make me linger. It smells like home.

Full article here: http://www.chron.com...ok/6917049.html

You want good barbecue? Lucious food smells that will drive you up the wall? I got to eat off this guy's chuckwagon on a real ranch... right off the ground cooking with dutch ovens, and a real fire spit....Mmmm steaks.... ohhhh yeah....biscuits, cobbler - you get it! Man... this was heaven, and all served under the stars. They also had a group of family members called, " The New Pioneers". Sounded just like Roy Rogers, and the Sons of the Pioneers. Jim Goode's got nothing on this guy!!! Check him out at : www.cowboyspeaks.com You can hire him and his friends to cook for you. He's even cooked with Emeril before, and cooked for the Queen of Thailand !!!

I've always had good BBQ at Burns' in Acres Homes. Their prices aren't bad, either. I can feed 4-5 people with $25 at Burns. One of their brisket "sammiches" to go and wrapped in foil hits the spot for lunch. But when I feel like gorging, give me a 3 meat special with home made links, ribs and sliced brisket and I'm good to go. :wub:

I've always had good BBQ at Burns' in Acres Homes. Their prices aren't bad, either. I can feed 4-5 people with $25 at Burns. One of their brisket "sammiches" to go and wrapped in foil hits the spot for lunch. But when I feel like gorging, give me a 3 meat special with home made links, ribs and sliced brisket and I'm good to go. :wub:

I used to really like Williams Smokehouse up in that neck of the woods, but it burned down. Sad day. And then Thelma's burned down (which was inconsistent, but convenient and still usually very much worth it). Burns is all I have left of the good ol' days.

There's always Goode Company of course, but I think that Goode Company is to BBQ what Chuy's is to Tex-Mex. Great for the poser yuppie HSL&R crowd. But expensive, overrated, and lacking in genuine atmosphere.

I have yet to eat there, mainly because I cannot FIND the darned place. Also, people that I know who live and work in the area, claim it is not all that special. Not sure if they are referencing the food or the atmosphere...?

There's always Goode Company of course, but I think that Goode Company is to BBQ what Chuy's is to Tex-Mex.  Great for the poser yuppie HSL&R crowd.  But expensive, overrated, and lacking in genuine atmosphere.

True but their jalapeño cheese bread is to die for.  

I used to really like Williams Smokehouse up in that neck of the woods, but it burned down. Sad day. And then Thelma's burned down (which was inconsistent, but convenient and still usually very much worth it). Burns is all I have left of the good ol' days.

There's always Goode Company of course, but I think that Goode Company is to BBQ what Chuy's is to Tex-Mex. Great for the poser yuppie HSL&R crowd. But expensive, overrated, and lacking in genuine atmosphere.

If your looking for real dang good Texas BBQ - something that kicks the hell out of that TN crap, you need to eat at Central Texas BBQ in Pearland. Its by far the best BBQ I have had anywhere in the greater Houston area. Everything is good....their BBQ stuffed Baked Potato is huge and unbelievable. For some reason many people judge BBQ by a places Ribs....While their ribs are good, they can be hit or miss...Everything else is always excellent.

Unfortunately its located in Pearland....but I work in Pearland, so not a huge downside for me.

Its a small old house, that cooks everything all night in a big cast iron smoker...family owned and operated and just flat out good BBQ. Michael Berry did a BBQ contest not too long ago, and it managed to get 2nd place, despite its location.

For my money, you cant beat it. Non-pretentious, good, cheap Texas BBQ. The only downside, is you leave the place stinking like BBQ smoke, and I cant stand the smell of it after I have eaten it. Its also in the lower traffic side of Pearland, not the West side...located right off the train tracks at the intersection of 35 and FM518.

Just flat good, in fact its my Thursday staple.

You need to try Pierson & Company. They're not very far away from the old Williams Smokehouse location.

And then Thelma's burned down (which was inconsistent, but convenient and still usually very much worth it).

Thelma's burned down? I thought she was doing business at Scott and Southmore now.

You need to try Pierson & Company. They're not very far away from the old Williams Smokehouse location.

I've heard of them, but I've never been. Maybe I'll check them out on one of those Mondays or Tuesdays when Burns is closed.

I have yet to eat there, mainly because I cannot FIND the darned place.

It can be tricky to find unless you know what to look for. The best bet is to look for the white house with a bunch of a cars and a few picnic tables outside where a guy is selling bootleg mix CDs. :lol:

I've always been rather fond of "The Hickory Hollow" on Heights @ Center, but I've always wanted to Try "Beavers" though.

Goode BBQ is actually good, but I'm "eh" on the prices.

Never was a fan of Pappa's, though, but Demeris is pretty good in my book.

I've always been rather fond of "The Hickory Hollow" on Heights @ Center, but I've always wanted to Try "Beavers" though.

What I look for is the rub and the smoke. For this, I like Hickory Hollow. I also really like Pizzitola's on Shepherd.

I like Beavers, but the BBQ is generally more mid-south (saucy/vinegar oriented), which I like, but it's not what I look for. Their rib rub is good. The sense of smoke-and-rub is not quite there, perhaps because she like to feature some of the special ingredients of the rub more (being known for her use of fresh herb and spice). Their bloody marys and some of their other dishes are really what take me there.

One place that I tried recently..Dave's Rib Shack on 1960. You know you're in the right place the second you open the car door and catch that first whiff of smoke. The rub is fantastic. The sides are a bit limited, but, hell, if you can find a place that make ribs right, you can make your own potatoes, beans and collards.

It can be tricky to find unless you know what to look for. The best bet is to look for the white house with a bunch of a cars and a few picnic tables outside where a guy is selling bootleg mix CDs. :lol:

They actually have a sign out front now, so it's hard to miss. But yeah, before then I remember wondering if I was at the right place the first time I went there.

Yep, I think that's where the inspiration for this thread came from. laugh.gif

That is hilarious. I didn't look at the article earlier (obviously!). The Chron had it posted on their page yesterday, so it looked like something new. I guess it was just a slow news day.smile.gif

• The title was changed to Where To Find Houston's Ultimate Barbecue

Archived