Zelko Bistro At 705 E. 11th St.

J008

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe the soft opening was yesterday .... come on, let's get some first impressions!

it was EXCELLENT. it's so cute inside. very small. i bet capacity is less than 50 people. open kitchen, jamie zelko was working the line. great and affordable wine list with a little bit of everything. our server was very knowledgeable about the wines. impressive for the 1st day.

i am going to post this to the blog, but i had short ribs. they were excellent but the cheddar polenta under them was the big winner on my plate. husband had meatloaf over yukon gold mashed potatoes. as comfortable as you imagine with a nice kick from the meatloaf. other friend had a sandwich- names escapes me now- but it had 2 or 3 cheeses + proscuitto and bacon. when he bit in, he actually laughed at how good it was. his came with nice, thin crisp fries.

food took a while to come out and was more like room temp when we got it but that is easily forgivable on day 1, esp when the taste made up for it. they looked fully staffed and, again, everyone seemed more than competent. i think this is going to be a real winner for the 'hood.

Myself and a buddy got there just before 5 anticipating a busy first night. I had spaghetti, he had the meatloaf. His gf showed up later and got the ahi salad. The wine list has nothing over $40 with most in the $30 range. The menu has a variety of standard food, but believe me, there is nothing standard about them. The spaghetti was amazing and I helped myself to a bite of his meatloaf and it was extraordinary. Prices for apps in the $7 range, entrees were solidly at the $12 mark, with a couple exceptions (steak). They had burgers, steaks, fried chicken, meatloaf, spaghetti, shrimp and grits etc, all the things you wouldn't necessarily associate with fine dining, but don't think for a minute this is a roadside diner because if you do you'll miss out on an instant Heights treasure.

The menu will change, yes they are adding a bike rack to the side as well as plenty of outside patio seating. Both Jamie and Jeb live in the Heights as do all of the staff, so pretty much 100% Heights owned and operated. They dropped an extra 100K on renovating the bungalow because according to them 'it is the Heights and was the right thing to do'. Kudos to them, that 100K investment will come back 10fold I am sure. Wish we had more of that attitude around here.

The decor is very nice, but when I talked to them they stressed there is no dress code, so drop by after a 20 mile bike ride and they'll greet you like they would anyone in a tux.

One thing I will comment on, is since we got there at 5ish, there were only two other tables taken. We had great service. Food came out warm. Place was 100% occupado by the time we left. While Jamie may have called this a 'soft' opening, personally we saw no indication that it was, everyone was efficient and seemingly knew their roles quite well.

Well, we went on Friday night and had a great dinner. We showed up a little past 5 and were the first ones there, which was great since we could pick the corner table and sit next to each other. Seating is mostly a long bench along two walls with 2 tops set close to each other. When it's busy, you can probably expect to get to know your neighbors a bit. I had the soup de jour, a vegetable and beef soup in an herb broth, and a rare tuna salad with ginger slaw. Both were excellent and the salad was quite spicy. My wife had the fried chicken with polenta rather than the normal mashed potatoes. The chicken appeared to be pan fried rather than deep fried. I, of course, had to sample it, and it was all very good. I don't know if this was the cheddar polenta Heights_yankee had (my wife told our server that she is trying to cut down on her dairy intake) or if it was just a plain polenta, but I also felt it was one of the highlights of dinner. For dessert, we had funnel cake with fresh fruit and a chocolate pecan pie. Add a nice bottle of pinot noir for $30, and our total check came out to a bit over $70. Looking for a cheaper experience? No problem ... you can stick to a couple entrees and a couple glasses of wine for under $40.

We will definitely be coming back here. I'm not sure that I would compare this directly to Lola, except that they are new, mid-priced Heights eateries. Lola, though, has sort of been our standard casual dinner fare recently, but I never felt that it lived up to its prices (i think they could stand to lower them about 25%). Bistro Zelko, drinks aside, runs about the same price, but it is a much, much nicer experience and the food is a big step up. And ... they will also do takeout!

• 2 weeks later...

We stopped by after my son's baseball game tonight. What an awesome experience! I had the corned beef and cabbage - the corned beef was perfect, the root vegetables were superb, and the mashed potatoes probably the best I've ever had. My wife had the crab cake, and said it was better than the same dish at Reef, her previous gold standard. Our son had the spaghetti, and didn't stop eating until the plate was clean. Dessert was a piece of chocolate pecan cake that was the perfect end to a great meal. We also bought a jar of Mama Zelko's blood orange marmalade. Bistro Zelko is a great addition to the Heights. I never would have guessed that the 11th and Studewood area would be such a hotbed of good restaurants.

• The title was changed to New Restaurant In The Heights
  • The title was changed to Zelko Bistro At 705 E. 11th St.

Archived