KBR Office Skyscraper At 601 Jefferson St.

Houston19514

Nah, that's not it. A big corporation with good credit could've made the deal happen in one form or another. And probably on good terms.

The reason they're staying in Class B space downtown is a simple matter of that they can renew a long term lease at ridiculously good rates right now because the owners of these buildings know that it'll be all but impossible (being undercut in a bad market by Class A competitors) to fill the space for years into the future if KBR leaves. KBR found themselves in an extremely powerful bargaining position and is merely exploiting it to the fullest.

this.

although class A space downtown has remained relatively tight despite the economy, class B has taken it on the chin. odds are brookfield bent over backwards to keep KBR in place and it ultimately ended up being too good a deal to pass up.

• Like 1

I know vacancy is higher than normal but that does not necessarily mean there is enough space in one building for their expansion, if that's what they want. Is there enough vacancy in one building that they would consider moving into or would someone have to build another building? I'm sure MainPlace is looking good to them.

mainplace is most definitely not looking good to them, i assure you that much. the delta between what they'll be paying with a renewal/expansion and what they would get at mainplace (even with a significant discount from hines) would be huge. apples to oranges.

• Like 1

mainplace is most definitely not looking good to them, i assure you that much. the delta between what they'll be paying with a renewal/expansion and what they would get at mainplace (even with a significant discount from hines) would be huge. apples to oranges.

With regard to mainplace, I kind of think one of the main differences is the image,appeal, and prestige associated to a certain extent of being a tenant located in a Hnz property over other office buildings, especially one that looks like its going to be a real show stopper from an image standpoint...For example, Williams Twr is a great example of a building with perhaps similar allure. They really know how to come out of the ground with awesome looking buildings...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Although I'm sure everyone has already heard about the news, I don't think I've seen anyone post about KBRs announcement of the sale of the property

http://www.chron.com/business/article/Major-East-End-parcel-up-for-grabs-3643074.php

Granted the site has a lot of potential, how long until a developer thinks the potential should be realized? I mean, if Regent Square can't take off, what makes us think this can on the scale most people want it to?

• Like 1

Bigger than Astroworld property huh?

how about a theme park on the bayou.

whatever happens, i hope it's not just more town homes.

Ah... a theme park... now that would rock! We would not have to drive 2723yfrfv8s6af w3t35 miles to drive to teh woodlands or 1960 or wherever the heck in the middle of nowhere to get to a theme park. :)

• Like 1

• The title was changed to KBR Office Skyscraper At 601 Jefferson St.