Dallas Cowboys Stadium

Every city gets the Super Bowl after they build a new stadium. Houston had it in 2004. It's called bribery/blackmail.

This is very true, although unlike Houston, Dallas was not promised the game and had to compete against Indianapolis - another new stadium city who still has not yet been promised the big game.

Also, if you go back in this forum about 6-7 years, you will find a very different attitude. Back then, according to the posts, the Superbowl alone seemed to make Houston the premier city in the state (and perhaps country).

It seems reality has set in to acknowledge that the Superbowl was primarily just a one time great event. Sure, there was a lot of good publicity for the city, but now it is mostly just mildly-remembered history (except for the whole wardrobe malfunction thing!)

Dallas will now get its chance to have a shining moment which will also fade!

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh man I'm gonna really hate doing this because I could really care less about all the bashing that goes on on this forum (and I really think you Houston guys are cool), but here goes...Yes you guys have hosted more Superbowls than Dallas. But Dallas has hosted more Super bowl parades and celebrations than Houston: Dallas 5 Houston 0

My guess is that hosting a super bowl brings more money and publicity to a city as opposed to a city's team winning the super bowl... just a guess, though. B)

Don't count on Houston getting another Super Bowl.

Something about McNair vs. the small club owners. I forget all the details, but they don't get along due to some funding scheme.

I though McNair and Jerr-ah were in the same boat on that.

McNair is in charge of one of the revenue committees. He caused a big stink when he and the big revenue clubs suggested that they keep more of their revenue. The mid-market owners retaliated ( apparently) by voting down Houston for another Super Bowl. Jerry Jones is obviously one of the big revenue owners, as well, though I do not believe he chairs the revenue committee. While I have not kept up with NFL owner gossip recently, it is certainly a possibility that big revenue Jerry factored into the close vote.

I would certainly agree that 5 years ago, this board thought that a Super Bowl was a big deal. Perhaps having already lived through one, and realizing that the Super Bowl is a corporate party with little for the regular people, has something to do with the reduced enthusiasm for Dallas' winning bid. Having had one here, and knowing what a moneygrab it is (with little return on the dollar), I would not travel to see a Super Bowl, even if the Texans actually were in it!

For those who are not convinced of the whorehouse mentality of the NFL, consider that in making his presentation, Jerry pegged revenue based on $900 tickets to see the game, AND $300 to watch the game OUTSIDE the stadium!

However, for those who value their lives on the fact that they paid $200 to stand in a packed club that 50 cent walked through, it will be a huge success. If watching your local newscasters stand breathless outside a party tent, gushing over some 2nd rate celeb rumored to be arriving soon gets your civic juices flowing, you are in for a treat. Otherwise, like everything else about the Super Bowl, it is overdone, overpriced, and overhyped. Enjoy it while it lasts.

PS - Don't believe the BS about renting your condo for $20,000 for a week. It doesn't happen.

I also heard that overall Indy just had a better presentation, (Stadium in the city near all the venues, not as spread out) but they just couldn't get around the 100,000 seats which meant more revenue for the NFL, which is what led to the close vote.

And although I'm happy this region will host the S.B. but I think after they witness how spread out eveything will be, they wont come back. I understand NTexas wants to work together as a region and give everybody a piece of the action (with the game in Arlington, NFL experience in Dallas, AFC in Ft. Worth, NFC in Irving, and so on and so on), but I think this is what will hurt it.IMO

This sort of ignorant and emotionally charged post is what separates the typical Houstonian and the few childish Haifers that troll here. Dallas has zero say on what name goes on the Cowboys. I know it would work toward your agenda if it were an elaborate plan by the city council to pay them off for naming rights.

Jason

"Emotionally charged"? Well, I was amused when I typed it so I guess it was "emotionaly charged." "Ignorant"? How so? Do you not understand that Dallas has no NFL team? I'm sorry to have to speak to you like a child but you seem to be woefully misinformed.

Anyway Jason, get a team, a stadium and some tax revenue then come back and talk to the big boys about your new football team. It seems now all you have is the Arlington Cowboys...and you are correct, Dallas could never have a say about an Arlington's team name. If the owners choose to engage in false advertising, so be it.

Sure are, but did you really think Indy would beat Big D-MC-FW?

D-MC-FW may not get another one either.

I think Arlington will, because for the time being, the Cowboys will have the largest NFL venue to play in. Also, I think Indy will host either in 2012 or 2013.

It's gonna take a political miracle for Houston to host again next decade. Arlington built a newer stadium in Texas, the smaller clubs don't like McNair, and there's new stadiums being built or are built in Glendale, Indy, and possibly LA and Minnesota as well. Doesn't matter how well the cities themselves throw the party. Arlington's biggest problem will be the fact that they current don't have public transportation, but I think that will change prior to 2011.

Arlington's biggest problem will be the fact that they current don't have public transportation, but I think that will change prior to 2011.

Sounds like someone doesn't know either the funding mechanisms of public transportation, nor Arlington's tax realities. Sounds like you do not know Arlington's historical animosity toward funding mass transit, as well. Care to suggest just how Arlington might whip up a public transit system in the next 3 years or so? Care to suggest how they will pay for it? Care to suggest how they will convince the residents to vote for it, considering they have rejected it 3 times in the last 20 years?

Posted on Wed, May. 23, 2007

Trains, aircraft to shuttle fans

By GORDON DICKSON

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

http://www.star-telegram.com/arlington_new...ory/111859.html

North Texas' winning 2011 Super Bowl bid included dazzling new ways to move people around the Metroplex during the week of the big game. Among them: temporary passenger rail service in Arlington and the use of Bell Helicopter's V-22 Osprey to ferry people to and from events.

"I'm trying to create a World's Fair atmosphere for the game," said Michael Morris, transportation director for the North Central Texas Council of Governments. "You can come by car, shuttle bus or two trains."

The council of governments is negotiating with Union Pacific Railroad for the use of tracks parallel to Division Street in Arlington, making it possible for people to take a train to the stadium from downtown Fort Worth or downtown Dallas. A special train platform would be built on a railroad spur near Stadium Drive, just south of Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, about a five- to 10-minute walk to the football stadium.

The Trinity Railway Express, which runs from Fort Worth to Dallas on tracks just north of Arlington, also would be used throughout the week.

Bell Helicopter has agreed to provide commercial versions of the V-22 during game week, Morris said. It's not known whether the tilt-rotor aircraft will be available to the public or just to VIPs, or whether they would be allowed into restricted air space on Super Bowl Sunday. But they'll be there in some capacity.

Shuttle bus lots will be set up at places such as Lone Star Park at Grand Prairie, and buses will have a lane only for their use on area freeways and side roads.

"Those buses will be behind cones or Jersey barriers to get to their destinations without queuing up in traffic," Morris said. Automobile commuters will lose a lane.

I guess those are the ones that will be arriving via tilt-rotor aircraft, then :)

I read the threads backwards so I thought you were kidding, but I see not. Hopefully Fort Worth can work it to promote its defense industry.

Jason

So there will be no party central location?

Well, you still have P. Diddy's Parking Lot Celebration at Chili's Arlington location.

Although I would like to throw some jabs, but you are right! One thing I think Jerry doesn't understand is atomosphere. Sure it's nice to have a beautiful wonderful big stadium, but it's the atomosphere that makes it great. I missed the Houston SB but I had plenty of friends who went (not to the game) just for the atomosphere in which they said was awesome!!! And this is what I fear hear. The only way I can see this SB having that somewhat same type of atomosphere is if all SB activities were in Arlington and DTD, Victory, Uptown (which it could support but will not happen). But driving way across town (and sitting in traffic) for this and for that just wont do it.

Yeah. It was cloudy and cold on the Saturday before Super Bowl sunday. I remember leaving the NFL Experience, and it was kind of cold. I also remember hearing some funny accents (probably people from Boston).

Is Dallas the only team in the NFL that doesnt play in it city limits?I guess what I'm trying to ask is,are the giants and jets named for the state of new york?

Nope. So the following cities do not have an NFL team.

New York

Boston

Miami

Dallas

Washington D.C.

Phoenix

I pretty much think that every city that played it's first game played in that city, though. Well every team that started with the name of the city because the Redskins were once in Boston. Seriously, it's still the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex with Dallas being the primary city of a region of 6 million. I don't see the big deal about it not being in the city limits. It would be nice but it's not. Nothing to demean the city of Dallas about. And no way will they ever change the name of one of the greatest professional franchises in American sports history.

New York

Boston

Miami

Dallas

Washington D.C.

Phoenix

I pretty much think that every city that played it's first game played in that city, though. Well every team that started with the name of the city because the Redskins were once in Boston. Seriously, it's still the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex with Dallas being the primary city of a region of 6 million. I don't see the big deal about it not being in the city limits. It would be nice but it's not. Nothing to demean the city of Dallas about. And no way will they ever change the name of one of the greatest professional franchises in American sports history.

Well, for Boston, it is called the "New England Patriots" and Phoenix "Arizona Cardinals".

New York

Boston

Miami

Dallas

Washington D.C.

Phoenix

Detroit Lions played in Pontiac for >25 years.... New York's not even in the same state! And no one cares....

Better to have glory days of old than no glory days at all.

If you think Houston hasn't had glory days in football, you don't know the history of the game. The late 70's phenomenon known as "luv Ya Blue" had such an impact on the NFL and it's merchandising, that it started the "collective bargaining aggreement". Of course Red also pointed out the two AFL championships in the early 60's.

When was the last time Dallas had a team that had 55,000 plus screaming fans after a championship loss? H-Town did it twice. Oh and let's not forget that we have two NBA championships, and have actually been to the world series. I know that's painfull, but whatcha gunna do?

I know this is childish, but sometimes I like it.

Archived