Dallas Cowboys Stadium

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, for Boston, it is called the "New England Patriots" and Phoenix "Arizona Cardinals".

The New England Patriots was once known as the Boston Patriots and the Arizona Cardinals were once known as the Phoenix Cardinals. The Cowboys will never change it's name to the Texas Cowboys in such a move. Sorry. Don't fix a great franchise like the Cowboys if it doesn't need to be fixed.

Detroit Lions played in Pontiac for >25 years.... New York's not even in the same state! And no one cares....

Yeah..thanks for proving my point.

I don't see the big deal about it not being in the city limits.

Me either. I just see a city [Arlington] soon to reap the tax benefits of a team named after Dallas. Good for Arlington and good for their Cowboys.

Me either. I just see a city [Arlington] soon to reap the tax benefits of a team named after Dallas. Good for Arlington and good for their Cowboys.

Do teams play for the city proper or the metro? I got in a semi argument not too long ago with a guy because I referenced the Houston Texans as the "home" team :wacko: (I'm from Galveston and he's from League City ). He said that my allegiance because of proximity was unfounded, and "stupid" because I wasn't from Houston.

Do teams play for the city proper or the metro? I got in a semi argument not too long ago with a guy because I referenced the Houston Texans as the "home" team :wacko: (I'm from Galveston and he's from League City ). He said that my allegiance because of proximity was unfounded, and "stupid" because I wasn't from Houston.

If this map is to be believed, there is nothing unusual or stupid about your allegiance. I found the map HERE

nfl_1280.gif

If this map is to be believed, there is nothing unusual or stupid about your allegiance. I found the map

Cool Map, I've seen a map couple monts ago with the same concept. The Austin area now is shaded the Titans color. The cowboys color covers the whole state except around the Houston Metro and east from Houston along I-10 towards Beaumont.

Dude, Arlington's gotta long way to go just to reach the break even point from investment to benefit. The cumulative increased tax revenue, direct and indirect, to Arlington based on activity through the Dallas Cowboys' Stadium will take years to equal the $325 million municipal contribution. Eventually, the city should end up making money from stadium activities. The city, just last week, recently agreed to 125-135 million TIF bond dollars to help with GloryPark infrastructure (GloryPark - Unifying new urbanist mixed use living center master planned development connecting Six Flags, The Texas Ranger's baseball stadium and the Dallas Cowboy's football stadium).

The city of Arlington is pumping a whole lotta money into this deal, and I for one hope it pays off sooner rather than later. One key convienience missing from the unique destination being assembled in Arlington is mass transportation. It looks like temporary passenger train service to/from downtowns Fort Worth and Dallas will easily get worked out for the big game, but there's a long row to hoe from temporary to permanent service. We'll see what happens. With prompting from Dr. Cluck - mayor of Arlington (great name) - I think Arlington voters will be ready to embrace the mass transit. A profitable future for Arlington's burgeoning entertainment district is greatly enhanced by mass transportation access from the rest of the North Texas population center, municipal politicians have realized this, Glorypark retailers will acknowledge this, Six Flags will realize this, The Dallas Cowboys get it and the Texas Rangers do too. All that's left is convincing Arlington tax payers and changing State law. Hrumph.

There are probably as many advantages to spreading out NFL events across the Metroplex as disadvantages. It's a boom or bust situation if you ask me, and the outcome is determined on how well it all gets planned. I really think the only way Metroplex cities can realistically expect to host another superbowl is if passenger train service to the stadium 'district' becomes permanent.

I agree with the previous post - Arlington does look good right now, but the reality is that they are $325 million in the hole to pay for this stadium. They will be paying that one off for a while.

The real winners are the cities of Dallas, Fort Worh, Irving, Grapevine, and others who will reap benefits from this event, without having to shell-out the large sums of cash for the stadium.

No doubt this helps firmly establish Arlington's entertainment district and provides more national name recognition for the city, but except for the game itself, most of the festivities will be held elsewhere.

• 1 month later...

My opinion on this topic has finally been summed up by this Dallas Morning News columnist:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...on1.6c034e.html

It essentially says Dallas never had the Cowboys to lose in the first place, and Arlington was nimble enought to steal them from Irving - so give Laura Miller a break! Jerry Jones knew the hurdles to develeopment in Dallas and never intended to do so.

• 2 months later...

Hicks plans 2 hotels in Arlington's Glorypark

03:53 PM CDT on Monday, October 22, 2007

By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

stevebrown@dallasnews.com

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw....197638b89.html

Dallas businessman Tom Hicks plans to build two hotels in his Arlington mixed-use development, including a 36-story Westin.

Hicks Holdings LLC said Monday that its Glorypark project just south of Interstate 30 will have a 300-room Westin plus a 140-room Aloft hotel.

The planned Westin Hotel will have 55,000 square feet of meeting space including a 13,000-square-foot ballroom. And more than 35,000 square feet of retail space will be built into the hotel's lower levels.

Hicks Holdings said Monday that the Westin Hotel tower will include 85 luxury condos.

The 18-story Aloft hotel will also have 70 loft-type residential units.

They are really making progress on this stadium. I just hope this dose not cancel out Houston's chance of ever hosting another SuperBowl especially after the succes we had hosting it in 2004.

What cancels out Houston's chance of having another Super Bowl is the fact that Houston has one of the more "wealthier" teams... at least that's what I have read / heard. Houston's 2004 Super Bowl was a HUGE success... and yet we lost a bid to host another one while Miami is getting it twice over the next few years. DFW will almost definitly get a Super Bowl for building the stadium just like Houston did... but like Houston it will probably be their only one for a while.

There should be no problem with both cities hosting multiple Super Bowls in the future. Just look at Florida - they have been hopping between Tampa, Miami, and even Jacksonville for the last couple of decades. Why should anything be different in Texas?

There should be no problem with both cities hosting multiple Super Bowls in the future. Just look at Florida - they have been hopping between Tampa, Miami, and even Jacksonville for the last couple of decades. Why should anything be different in Texas?

Weather and perception. We think we did a great job in 04 but the weather sucked the first half of the week and while the parties were great and the Main Event was great, Houston doesn't have the perception, whether real or imagined, that Florida has (especially Miami). Dallas, or better yet Arlington, is even worse off on both counts.

Weather and perception. We think we did a great job in 04 but the weather sucked the first half of the week and while the parties were great and the Main Event was great, Houston doesn't have the perception, whether real or imagined, that Florida has (especially Miami). Dallas, or better yet Arlington, is even worse off on both counts.

The perception is true, but reality can also suck. Just ask the folks who had to sit through last year's game in Miami. It rained HARD. All game. Never let up and thousands fled well before the game was over.

I bet you they would have liked to have had a roof!

What cancels out Houston's chance of having another Super Bowl is the fact that Houston has one of the more "wealthier" teams... at least that's what I have read / heard. Houston's 2004 Super Bowl was a HUGE success... and yet we lost a bid to host another one while Miami is getting it twice over the next few years. DFW will almost definitly get a Super Bowl for building the stadium just like Houston did... but like Houston it will probably be their only one for a while.

Houston should have been given another SB by now. The have not because the small market team owners will not vote for Houston because of a conflict with profit sharing. The cowboys had trouble getting the SB even with the new stadium. It took 4 votes of the owners to get the game in Arlington. The cowboys barely beat out Indy on the fourth vote and I beleive that was the final vote. It is an interesting subject and you can find plenty of more details about this.........As far as Miami getting the SB. The city gives every owner a full service yaucht for the week of the SB. This is just one of many incentives Miami gives the owners to get the votes.

• 1 year later...

A TON has happened since that last post on here. The stadium is basically finished with the expectation of some minor details (finishing the HVAC, sections of parking lots, the turf) the scoreboard was recently lifted up.

Check out the inside on this webcam

• 2 months later...

From today New York Times:

ARLINGTON, Tex. — Jerry Jones, tour guide, was showing off.

Jones, the owner of the Dallas Cowboys, gestured as he drove his Lincoln Town Car around his billion-dollar stadium with the sloping glass exterior that reflects the colors of the sky, his team and his eyes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/17/sports/football/17cowboys.html?_r=1&hpw

• The title was changed to Dallas Cowboys Stadium

Archived