Phoenicia Specialty Foods Grocery Store At 1001 Austin St.

kevbo

So ready!

Went to the deli off Westheimer last weekend (full disclosure: I worked on that project back when I was in school); the build out was smaller than I'd spec'd but the sharmas were superb and now I'll finally be able to do some pantry/bakery shopping w/o making the trip down to the SW side.

Now if only burger guys would open a midtown or downtown location..

• 2 weeks later...

Went last saturday and was severely disappointed in the store layout. Especially in regards to dealing with the lunch crowd. Hopefully they will fix some of the programmatic kinks but the design was extremely piece-meal and heavy handed in between.

Food was good, but l'll probably wait some time before returning to the deli counter.

• 2 weeks later...

First visit . . . The lamb shawarma is fantastic -- what an exponential upgrade over the tunnel gyro joints downtown. The taste and texture of the lamb was awesome. And the pita was incredibly light and tasty. The setup reminded me of the Smith Street Spec's (tables, checkout, merch, deli), but there seemed to be no easy way in, and there was significant congestion to get the orders in and filled. The checkout aisles seemed to work fine (like they do at Spec's). Hopefully they will work out the kinks and streamline the order process back at the deli.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been now 3 or 4 times, and I just totally love it. Agreed, the first floor gets a bit bunched up in the pita/ deli section, but aside from that it's an amazing addition to Downtown. Store layout feels a lot more like a European grocer than anything in the states. The second floor may be small, but that's where the really good stuff is... mega-sized cans of hummus for $2!!

I went yesterday. I took the light rail and walked to the store, so I don't know how parking etc is but I was impressed with it. I was fairly busy at 8 pm on a Wednesday. There was a singer in the bar area and we ate some of our groceries while drinking beer in there The prices are surprisingly reasonsonable considering the uniqueness of the food and the location and they have an awesome selection of international foods, especially mediterranean/middle estern. The pomegranate tabulli from the deli counter was tasty. I'll definitey be going back.

• 1 month later...

i enjoyed hearing people complain that the carts didn't have space to seat children in. must have been a heights resident. had a pita wrap where the meat was not cut from the rotisserie but rather taken from the steam tray and put in the microwave to warm up. no thanks.

Eh, they're quite a bit better than TJ's, with the exception of wine/beer. Have you seen their spice wall upstairs? It is amazing. All of their baked goods are infinitely better than anything you can buy at Trader Joe's.

I've never actually been to a TJ's. :blush:

But before they opened, we would go to Droubi's on HIllcroft to get a decent shawarma. Never again will I eat at Droubi Bro's for lunch, wanna talk about bland? For pantry goods, we'd go all the way to the SW side to Stafford/Sugar Land to Wel-Pham/99 Ranch.

• The title was changed to Phoenicia Specialty Foods Grocery Store At 1001 Austin St.