Disneyland in Houston?

jengon

Ok, I've heard this for a few years now. It's only been through word of mouth. I haven't heard anything mentioned on the news or posted anywhere. Is it a possibility that we are going to have a Disneyland built in the Houston area? What have you heard, and anything in the news or anywhere else?

Somewhere I read about a Disney "space park" to be built in the 1960s or 1970s to be built in Houston. But that was 1960s or 1970s.

Wait, what? It's totally false.

Why you are posting this here?

Yep sorry, I'm a newbie and registered on my phone. Could get around the site very well. Sorry if I posted in the wrong spot. We do have Space Center Houston that was built in the early 90's but honestly it sucks. There isn't much of anything there, its over priced, its mostly for younger kids and even they get bored. I been hearing of an actual disneyland theme park being built.

Yep sorry, I'm a newbie and registered on my phone. Could get around the site very well. Sorry if I posted in the wrong spot. We do have Space Center Houston that was built in the early 90's but honestly it sucks. There isn't much of anything there, its over priced, its mostly for younger kids and even they get bored. I been hearing of an actual disneyland theme park being built.

That rumor has been going on since the 1950s or 1960s. If you'll do a forum search, you'll find out lots of information about this rumor of a Houston area Disney theme park.

That rumor has been going on since the 1950s or 1960s. If you'll do a forum search, you'll find out lots of information about this rumor of a Houston area Disney theme park.

No matter which direction you go out of Houston (Katy, Magnolia, Cleveland, Crosby, Chambers/Jefferson Counties, Brazoria County), there are always a handful of fluffy bunnies that make the same antiquated claims that their territory will be the next theme park mecca.

Personally, I think Disney ought to redevelop Pelican Island as such and start a Disney-branded cruise line that caters to families with small children. They could work the historical cachet as well, with a section of the park themed from pirate lore. And if they brought in another tall ship, mock battles between it and the Elissa could be staged in the nearby waters. But that'll never happen. The US theme park market is pretty well tapped out, IMO.

Personally, I think Disney ought to redevelop Pelican Island as such and start a Disney-branded cruise line that caters to families with small children. They could work the historical cachet as well, with a section of the park themed from pirate lore. And if they brought in another tall ship, mock battles between it and the Elissa could be staged in the nearby waters. But that'll never happen. The US theme park market is pretty well tapped out, IMO.

Been there. Done that.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/

Holy crap, that's exactly what I envisioned, and they have it going out of Port Canaveral (the closest they could possibly get to Orlando). Either that's the most obvious blending of business models there ever was or I'm not giving myself enough credit for my own business instincts.

I still say that the Pelican Island idea should be considered the most credible development opportunity in the sunbelt, though, given the pre-existing tourist infrastructure, complimentary attractions, and the unique nautical themes that are ripe for exploitation.

They should talk to Six Flags first... before opening any theme parks up in Houston... I don't know what was worse: seeing Astroworld slowly decline over the years, or its final demolition.

You don't think that that might've had to do with crappy management?

I concur. This has been a rumor forever. Especially back in the 80's when it was going around that Disney had purchased a lot of land in the Magnolia/Tomball area. 

I agree about the crappy management at Astroworld/Six Flags. It went downhill fast when poor single parents found out it was cheaper to buy a summer pass at Astroworld for their brats than send them to day care centers.  

Seems to me that Disneyland may already be here in Houston. All of the hype about how great Houston is when it is 100 degrees and 100 percent humidity, coupled with the uncontrolled urban sprawl. Hell, the trip down 59 from IAH or down Broadway from Hobby with out-of-town guests is an embarrassment. So, as I said, Houston is certainly doing what Disney always says, "When you wish upon a star..."

Seems to me that Disneyland may already be here in Houston. All of the hype about how great Houston is when it is 100 degrees and 100 percent humidity...

Good to see that you exagerate your weather statements as much as you do your political ones. Tell you what. You find the day that Houston had 100 degrees and 100 percent humidity and I'll start backing your political views.

Here's a weather site for your research.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=iah&wuSelect=WEATHER

Good to see that you exagerate your weather statements as much as you do your political ones. Tell you what. You find the day that Houston had 100 degrees and 100 percent humidity and I'll start backing your political views.

http://www.wundergro...uSelect=WEATHER

finnish-sauna-124203.jpg

Does it count if it's in here, or does it actually have to be outside?

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=iah&wuSelect=WEATHER

Thanks for pointing that out. I too have yet to experience a day of 100 degrees and 100 percent humidity, despite the attempts by many to proclaim this is a common occurrence for Houston.

Oh, and it's a brutal 70 degrees and sunny out there right now.

Hell, the trip down 59 from IAH or down Broadway from Hobby with out-of-town guests is an embarrassment. So, as I said, Houston is certainly doing what Disney always says, "When you wish upon a star..."

Have you ever been to Orlando? That city's ugliness doesn't seem to be a problem for Disney World.

Thanks for pointing that out. I too have yet to experience a day of 100 degrees and 100 percent humidity, despite the attempts by many to proclaim this is a common occurrence for Houston.

Oh, and it's a brutal 70 degrees and sunny out there right now.

My pleasure. I was just having a discussion with my brother a couple of weeks ago about moving back to North Carolina. As beautiful as it is, we both wondered if putting up with the COLD would be worth it. We were pretty amazed that, with all the complaints about Houston's heat and humidity, neither of us thought 3 months of below freezing average lows and 2 more months below 40 was worth it. And, after a well known local blogger stated on this forum that Houston's weather was inhospitable to pedestrians for FIVE MONTHS of the year, I've been loaded for bear.

Days of severe heat and humidity tend to be only a phenomenon of July and August. Every other time, the weather is decent. Many people prefer having hot summers to really cold winters, which is part of the reason why we settled in Texas.

No, they just got lazy.

"Hey guys! Only 1370 miles until we reach California!"

In November: "Jesus. Well... it's kinda cool now... let's just stop here [in Texas]."

In August: "Dammit! Well, I guess it's too late now; we've already settled. We should have kept going..."

• 1 year later...

Phase II - Disney to start sailing out of Galveston in 2012

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/7506462.html

Now we just need them to go all-in on Phase I.

Goldmine for Disney. Now families in Texas (as well as Louisiana, Arkansas, and Oklahoma) do not have to travel out to Cape Canaveral to get on a Disney Cruise. This is about the closest Texas will get to having a Disney theme park. :P

Edited by Trae

This is good news, maybe I should postpone a cruise until next summer. :)

The comments are a bit interesting, though. From what I've read, does this mean that the OTHER cruise terminal is no longer being used?

The Bayport terminal was only ever used a handful of times.

Days of severe heat and humidity tend to be only a phenomenon of July and August. Every other time, the weather is decent. Many people prefer having hot summers to really cold winters, which is part of the reason why we settled in Texas.

These days are consistently a phenomenon of July and August. Severe heat and humidity is frequent anytime between April and December.

Much as I like Houston, the reputation we have for oppressive heat is based on fact.

These days are consistently a phenomenon of July and August. Severe heat and humidity is frequent anytime between April and December.

Much as I like Houston, the reputation we have for oppressive heat is based on fact.

Sure, but you could say the same about a large part of Florida as well and that doesn't seem to have impacted their tourism. I did a summer trip to Disney World, it was very bit as oppressive as a week in Houston.

Sure, but you could say the same about a large part of Florida as well and that doesn't seem to have impacted their tourism. I did a summer trip to Disney World, it was very bit as oppressive as a week in Houston.

My guess is if we had nicer beaches and Houston was prettier, we wouldn't get the bum rap we do.

My guess is if we had nicer beaches and Houston was prettier, we wouldn't get the bum rap we do.

True - but I think Houston has also had a rep of "it's too hot to do anything outside". I bet that starts to fade if the Bayou Greenway Initiative and the Hike and Bike trails get built out the way that they're planned.