• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my family and i had fish when we ate there-- it was fabulous. . . . . i'm not worried about any smoked/baked beasties affronting me rather i'm wondering where will the valet put the cars when the building across the street has the street torn up? will la strada rent out it's parking lot as the "cat doctor" rents out theirs to Indika?

I've had beef tongue before. It's tasty. And if you've ever had "barbacoa"... I think it's cow's cheek meat. Tasty too. :) This is looking like something I would like to try more and more.

yum. barbacoa is the best. I ate it a lot in San Antonio but don't see it as much here. You know how tamales are done by boiling down a hog head for the meat? I think the traditioal barbacoa method is burying the cow head in a pit. I remember years back, most places only sold it on weekends (like cabrito) because it was a time intensive dish. It's great when people think barbacoa is just mexican 'barbecue' tacos. Always fun to explain what it was after people ate it.

I like the idea of what Feast is doing, but can do without the skull as a garnish.

Heck, I'm using the skull as a souvenir. I brought it home and ran it through the dishwasher a few times. Now I'm going to leave it on the patio to bake in the sun for a bit and it will make a nice mantle trinket.

Make sure you leave room for your stuffed nutria.

yum. barbacoa is the best. I ate it a lot in San Antonio but don't see it as much here. You know how tamales are done by boiling down a hog head for the meat? I think the traditioal barbacoa method is burying the cow head in a pit. I remember years back, most places only sold it on weekends (like cabrito) because it was a time intensive dish. It's great when people think barbacoa is just mexican 'barbecue' tacos. Always fun to explain what it was after people ate it.

Practically every taqueria I've eaten at in Houston offers barbacoa, but yeah, I'm pretty sure they're not all burying cow heads in a pit in the nearest parking lot.

Laredo Taqueria does a mighty fine barbacoa taco. Everything else they serve is really good, too. They have several locations - one on Washington (so far stubbornly holding its own against the recent influx of DB-favored businesses infecting the area), one on Cavalcade, and one on Patton at Fulton.

Yeah... someone posted a picture of some random guy with a horse and a bellyfull of nutria on some other thread.

Er... I knew I should have gone with Patton.... It was General Washington.... Ok, it was a bad pun, admittedly, but please tell me George Washington isn't just some random guy to you.

• 4 weeks later...

received this email today. . . . . . interesting

We at Feast wish you all a very happy new year and would like to announce that, with immediate effect, we will no longer be using ANY meat or meat product from factory farmed, intensively raised animals in our restaurant. A full list of exactly where your dinner is coming from will be posted on the website and on the back of the menu. We would love to drag as many of you all as possible along with us on this and let's see if we can't change a few things! We look forward to seeing you in the coming weeks - thanks again for all your custom and support. Cheers!<br clear="all"> ‘The industrialization--and brutalization--of animals in America is a relatively new phenomenon: no other country raises and slaughters its food animals quite as intensively or as brutally as we do. No other people in history has lived at quite so great a remove from the animals they eat. Were the walls of our meat industry to become transparent we would not long continue to raise, kill and eat animals the way we do. Tail-docking and sow crates and beak-clipping would disappear overnight - for who could stand the sight? Yes, meat would get more expensive. We'd probably eat less of it, too, but maybe when we did eat animals, we'd eat them with the consciousness, ceremony and respect they deserve.’

Michael Pollen – ‘The Omnivore’s Dilemma’<br clear="all">

--

Feast

219 Westheimer Road

Houston, TX 77006

713-529-7788

www.feasthouston.com

More power to them, but I'd be interested in where such a product (meat) is obtained?

I'm going to have to venture over there sometime and check it out.

They were talking about it on Twitter earlier today.

Some of our suppliers are at the Farmers Markets around town. Our suppliers include: Countryside Farms - Cedar Creek Tx, Bryan Farms - Brennan Tx, Jolie Vue Farms - Brennan Tx, Harrison Hog Farms - Beasley Tx, Dustin Hoeinghaus - WeimarTx, Niman Ranch

The massive pork chop I posted earlier in the thread was from Harrison Hog Farms. You can order here and pick up at the farmer's market at Rice University on Saturdays, University @ Greenbriar. I don't see that big chop on their order form, so maybe that's a special order, not sure.

Feast got some massive pork chops from a local farm.

48481186.jpg

Yeah. Looks like Harrison in Beasley TX is by Rosenberg, so that's kinda close. Most of the others seem to be Austin area?

Weimar is about half way between Houston and San Antonio off of I-10. Cedar Creek is near Bastrop. Never heard of Brennan, TX...maybe they mean Brenham?

But yeah, seems like most of their suppliers are at least half-way between here and somewhere else.

Harrison Hog Farms seems reasonably practical to order from, and I don't mind paying a little more for good local stuff, but Jolie Vue Farms, yikes. They want a $36 signup fee and then $200 a month to deliver a month's worth of meat [ for 2 people, 3 meals a week] each month. I think I'll put in an order for Harrison this week but I wonder where I can get some good beef.

received this email today. . . . . . interesting

We at Feast wish you all a very happy new year and would like to announce that, with immediate effect, we will no longer be using ANY meat or meat product from factory farmed, intensively raised animals in our restaurant. A full list of exactly where your dinner is coming from will be posted on the website and on the back of the menu. We would love to drag as many of you all as possible along with us on this and let's see if we can't change a few things! We look forward to seeing you in the coming weeks - thanks again for all your custom and support. Cheers!<br clear="all"> ‘The industrialization--and brutalization--of animals in America is a relatively new phenomenon: no other country raises and slaughters its food animals quite as intensively or as brutally as we do. No other people in history has lived at quite so great a remove from the animals they eat. Were the walls of our meat industry to become transparent we would not long continue to raise, kill and eat animals the way we do. Tail-docking and sow crates and beak-clipping would disappear overnight - for who could stand the sight? Yes, meat would get more expensive. We'd probably eat less of it, too, but maybe when we did eat animals, we'd eat them with the consciousness, ceremony and respect they deserve.’

Michael Pollen – ‘The Omnivore’s Dilemma’<br clear="all">

--

Feast

219 Westheimer Road

Houston, TX 77006

713-529-7788

www.feasthouston.com

Who the Hell wrote this garbage? You need to travel abroad my philosophic pilgrim. The way they treat animals in other countries is not just inhumane, it is barbaric! Eat the monkey's brain while he's still alive - oh, but first we have to hit him in the head repeatedly with chop sticks to perk our appetite, etc, etc, etc. Maybe you should tour Africa, where they really love their animals - go to a bull fight 'au hispania, or Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, - - - - - et al ( No pun intended... yeah, there was ). I've ranched cattle, and raised horses all my life, and known American agriculture like the back of my own hand. If we didn't respect, and love those animals, we sure wouldn't be standing out with them in the weather taking care of them, feeding them, and doctoring them when they're sick. You've proven by your statement that you have neither raised large animals, nor studied history, and - to be a gentleman about it, in my cowboy way - you've insulted a lot of good people without cause. Every one in this country ( Unlike others ) has a right to voice his, or her opinion. I respected your right to say these things so much that I bled all over the globe for you to keep that right, while I served as a special operations soldier. I will exercise my freedom, and right to speak herein, by telling you that your restaurant is not the place for me, and I take great offense at your attempt to sound politically correct, and smarter than everyone else on the planet.

If you're out in the weather taking care of an animal you're not a part of the factory-farming system, so I'm not sure why you're so angry. Many animals raised by the factory farming system, especially chickens and hogs, never see the light of day. Same team, same team.

Who the Hell wrote this garbage? You need to travel abroad my philosophic pilgrim. The way they treat animals in other countries is not just inhumane, it is barbaric! Eat the monkey's brain while he's still alive - oh, but first we have to hit him in the head repeatedly with chop sticks to perk our appetite, etc, etc, etc. Maybe you should tour Africa, where they really love their animals - go to a bull fight 'au hispania, or Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, - - - - - et al ( No pun intended... yeah, there was ). I've ranched cattle, and raised horses all my life, and known American agriculture like the back of my own hand. If we didn't respect, and love those animals, we sure wouldn't be standing out with them in the weather taking care of them, feeding them, and doctoring them when they're sick. You've proven by your statement that you have neither raised large animals, nor studied history, and - to be a gentleman about it, in my cowboy way - you've insulted a lot of good people without cause. Every one in this country ( Unlike others ) has a right to voice his, or her opinion. I respected your right to say these things so much that I bled all over the globe for you to keep that right, while I served as a special operations soldier. I will exercise my freedom, and right to speak herein, by telling you that your restaurant is not the place for me, and I take great offense at your attempt to sound politically correct, and smarter than everyone else on the planet.

While I agree the tone of that email has an air of pretentiousness to it, it seems to me you're both saying the same thing, just in different ways. By the way, the food there is excellent. I'd recommend you give them a shot based on that and not dismiss them based on a letter basically telling their better customers that they'll be buying their meat locally instead of from huge factories. Factory farming and factory ranching is an anacronism. It's the residue of the twentieth century. Local is where it's at. I applaud their efforts, if not their language.

Factory farming and factory ranching is an anacronism. It's the residue of the twentieth century. Local is where it's at. I applaud their efforts, if not their language.

Local is all fine and well...for those with money to blow. The rest of us tolerate meaty abominations in our deli meats, sausages, and Chicken McNuggets. And trust me, there's more of us than there are of you. Our numbers grow with each passing BLS press release.

Personally, though, if I had the money, I'd rather save up for a trip to countries where they eat live monkey brains. That sounds like a neat way to experience the food chain.

Local is all fine and well...for those with money to blow. The rest of us tolerate meaty abominations in our deli meats, sausages, and Chicken McNuggets. And trust me, there's more of us than there are of you. Our numbers grow with each passing BLS press release.

Personally, though, if I had the money, I'd rather save up for a trip to countries where they eat live monkey brains. That sounds like a neat way to experience the food chain.

HEB buys most of their meat from Texas farms, and not all of those farms are of the evil variety. Who am I kidding though, most of my meat intake comes in the form of ground sirloin shaped into flat round patties, and they probably originated from some place where people do eat the brains of living monkeys.

2142816794_cf2204663b.jpg

Like Hannibal Lector's kitchen. What is man but an upright ape?

What is man but an upright ape?

Rock is matter. Man is matter. We do not wince at the thought of quarrying and crushing rock to make cement mix.

Monkey is ape. Man is ape. It does not follow that a monkey is a man, nor does it follow that a monkey is imbued with the same rights and dignities as man. I'll eat its brains if I want to.

Archived