Place To Dump Tree Trimmings

Other than waiting for the monthly heavy trash pick up day, is there any place in or near the Heights where you can legally dump tree trimmings, branches, lawn waste, etc.? Thanks in advance for any info.

If bagged and placed next to your can, the city will pick up lawn waste. If it's too big to be bagged you have to wait on heavy trash or take it to the dump. Somebody is going to tell you to compost the small stuff (not me).

Got a chainsaw and a fireplace? Nah, compost it.wink.gif

I think the city is now rotating junk and tree debris every other month each. As someone said, bagged debris will be picked up on regular garbage days. If I remember, they'll also pick up bound limbs of a certain specification. Check the COH solid waste website.

Not in the city. That would be considered open burning. And don't think you can get away with burning in a BBQ pit either.

"Barbecue pits shall not be used for the burning of trash, rubbish, or discarded leaves and branches."

HFD codes and ordinances

I don't know... the code is primarily oriented to "open burning" which it defines this way:

"16.2.1 Open Burning.

'Open burning', for the purpose of this standard is the burning of: a bonfire, rubbish fire, campfire, trench fire, or other fire in an outdoor location where fuel being burned is not contained in an approved incinerator, outdoor fireplace, barbecue grill or barbecue pit."

The code doc covers the use of a barbecue pit, but doesn't say anything about an outdoor fireplace.

There is a regulation, 16.6.6, that regulates campfires and specifies they must be in a metal container not smaller than 36x36x24 inches. Does my metal fire bowl fall under that reg or is it an unregulated outdoor fireplace? The part I found most interesting, though, was the requirement for permits for torches. I didn't see anything excluding them, so I'm guessing that permits are required for tiki torches? That seems crazy, but that's the nature of government regs sometimes.

Other than waiting for the monthly heavy trash pick up day, is there any place in or near the Heights where you can legally dump tree trimmings, branches, lawn waste, etc.? Thanks in advance for any info.

Tree and shrub trimmings can be cut down to approximately 4 feet in length and placed with yard clippings. They should be tied together with string. If the trimmings are actual tree limbs, they have to wait for heavy trash day, or you can deliver them to the dump site on Kirkpatrick at 610. That is about a 5 mile trip from the Heights.

I don't know... the code is primarily oriented to "open burning" which it defines this way:

"16.2.1 Open Burning.

'Open burning', for the purpose of this standard is the burning of: a bonfire, rubbish fire, campfire, trench fire, or other fire in an outdoor location where fuel being burned is not contained in an approved incinerator, outdoor fireplace, barbecue grill or barbecue pit."

The code doc covers the use of a barbecue pit, but doesn't say anything about an outdoor fireplace.

from the code you quoted it specifically says outdoor fireplace.

from the code you quoted it specifically says outdoor fireplace.

It does, but it says open burning is something that does not happen in an approved containment device, including an outdoor fireplace. It doesn't go on, though, to further specify what exactly constitutes an outdoor fireplace.

• The title was changed to Place To Dump Tree Trimmings

Archived