Critical Mass

Subdude

I was thinking Mormon Missionary, because it goes well with the bike thing. Just need to figure out how to make one of those name badges... If all else fails I'll just wear my old V for Vendetta mask.

107 RSVPs and 87 maybes, going to be a fun night.

ahhh! excellent idea! don't forget the black helmet!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking Mormon Missionary, because it goes well with the bike thing. Just need to figure out how to make one of those name badges... If all else fails I'll just wear my old V for Vendetta mask.

107 RSVPs and 87 maybes, going to be a fun night.

Man, I found a guy dressed like a Mormon missionary, and started talking to him, thinking he was you, and he was like, um, yeah, I don't know what you're talking about. I decided to act like I was crazy and ran around in circles, then fell on my face. it distracted him well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Critical Mass this Friday. There's a Critical Mass-related art show coming up at the end of February at Caroline Collective. Deadline for submissions is Friday at Critical Mass.

The ShowThis show celebrates the artwork of Houston Critical Mass cyclists. All work submitted must be inspired by or found while bike riding within Houston’s Inner Loop. Artists should submit work proposals along with the location at which it was inspired. These addresses will be pinpointed on a large-scale map of Houston’s Inner Loop, to reference the origin of each artist’s work. Proposals will be judged on originality, local flavor and critical content.

Send submissions to sladuncan@gmail.com.

http://houstoncriticalmass.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Was a nice ride, seemed a bit shorter than some, but the art exhibit was pretty cool, and learning about the hacker stuff going on in the back room was pretty cool too.

I wish I had submitted something for the art exhibit, hopefully it will be going on again and I can participate next time!

Was a nice ride, seemed a bit shorter than some, but the art exhibit was pretty cool, and learning about the hacker stuff going on in the back room was pretty cool too.

I wish I had submitted something for the art exhibit, hopefully it will be going on again and I can participate next time!

I talked to Shannon and she says she's going to try and do it annually. I think it turned out really great. I liked that light switch that the guy built. He said he took a piece of acrylic and molded it with a heat gun, and the light fixtures and electrical outlet plates inside of it were all found on the streets. I liked the photos of all the fallen cyclists around town. The photo of Leigh Boone's ghost bike was also nice.

What's this about the hacker stuff? I saw that room but didn't go in.

I talked to Shannon and she says she's going to try and do it annually. I think it turned out really great. I liked that light switch that the guy built. He said he took a piece of acrylic and molded it with a heat gun, and the light fixtures and electrical outlet plates inside of it were all found on the streets. I liked the photos of all the fallen cyclists around town. The photo of Leigh Boone's ghost bike was also nice.

What's this about the hacker stuff? I saw that room but didn't go in.

it was actually pretty interesting, they take all sorts of hardware and re-purpose it to different uses, their current big project is a 3d printer, which was the big radio looking thing behind the keg.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From the BikeHouston website:

Ride of Silence - Houston 2010 Memorial Park

Join cyclists worldwide in a silent slow-paced ride (max. 12 mph/20 kph) in honor of those who have been injured or killed while cycling on public roadways.

WHY DOES THIS ORGANIZATION EXIST?

* To HONOR those who have been injured or killed

* To RAISE AWARENESS that we are here

* To ask that we all SHARE THE ROAD

THE RIDE OF SILENCE WILL NOT BE QUIET

On May 19, 2010, at 7:00 PM, the Ride of Silence will begin in North America and roll across the globe. Cyclists will take to the roads in a silent procession to honor cyclists who have been killed or injured while cycling on public roadways. Although cyclists have a legal right to share the road with motorists, the motoring public often isn't aware of these rights, and sometimes not aware of the cyclists themselves.

In 2003, Chris Phelan organized the first Ride of Silence in Dallas after endurance cyclist Larry Schwartz was hit by the mirror of a passing bus and was killed.

The Ride of Silence is a free ride that asks its cyclists to ride no faster than 12 mph and remain silent during the ride. There are no sponsors and no registration fees. The ride, which is held during National Bike Month, aims to raise the awareness of motorists, police and city officials that cyclists have a legal right to the public roadways. The ride is also a chance to show respect for those who have been killed or injured.

You may also remember Critical Mass from the news. On a Critical Mass ride in New York, a rookie cop approached and tackled a cyclist, then arrested him for assaulting an officer and made up a story about how the cyclist had targeted him and knocked him down with his bike. Unfortunately for the cop, the video someone took proved otherwise.

Officer Patrick Pogan was fired and indicted.

From The New York Times, April 29 2010:

A former police officer was convicted on Thursday of lying about a collision with a bicyclist who was taking part in a Critical Mass ride in Times Square in 2008 — an altercation that was videotaped and became a viral presence on the Internet.

The jury found the officer, Patrick Pogan, 24, guilty of filing a criminal complaint that contained false statements concerning the cyclist, Christopher Long, including an assertion that Mr. Long knocked Mr. Pogan down by intentionally steering his bicycle into him. (The video showed that Mr. Pogan remained on his feet, while Mr. Long flew to the pavement.

Full article

(Strangely, Mr. Pogan was not convicted of assult.)

As the Daily News put it, "The New Yorkers who acquitted former NYPD officer Patrick Pogan of assault yesterday were a jury of his peers, by which we mean idiots."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Patrick+Pogan#ixzz0mzLiK8xq

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd share a pic I took while the cyclists were taking shelter during a storm during the last ride:

Pardon the blurriness.

P1000809.jpg

We were on 11 News, also. The anchors called it a "ride to nowhere", heh. I'm trying to borrow a computer with a decent video card so I can pull the recording off my ma's DVR.

We started a mid-month ride on the second Friday of the month, from the same place at the same time. Thanks for the beers at Valhalla, sargento!

Archived