Critical Mass

Subdude

You may also remember Critical Mass from the news. On a Critical Mass ride in New York, a rookie cop approached and tackled a cyclist, then arrested him for assaulting an officer and made up a story about how the cyclist had targeted him and knocked him down with his bike. Unfortunately for the cop, the video someone took proved otherwise.

Officer Patrick Pogan was fired and indicted.

i saw that video on friday right before the ride.

one of my co-workers was like, "don't be watching that stuff before you join the ride for the first time."

i thought friday's ride was great. here's footage:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow abrahang, you've got like 35 minutes of video uploaded. That's great! I shot the start from the opposite corner. Its on the Facebook event videos page, but I haven't put it on Youtube so I can embed yet.

cool, i'll check it out. there were 8 parts, but i removed the very last video as it was really dark.

i do a bike ride in the heights every sunday morning and film most of our rides as well.

this is my setup:

IMAG0412.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Reminder that Critical Mass is this Friday!

In other news, I rode my bike down to Stafford for the hot sauce festival this weekend, and Stafford has not gotten the memo that bikes are allowed on the road. I was riding on Murphy all the way to the right and got at least 6 honks, 3 yells, and one angry fist. There was not much traffic at the time and several empty lanes to my left. It was really ridiculous.

Reminder that Critical Mass is this Friday!

In other news, I rode my bike down to Stafford for the hot sauce festival this weekend, and Stafford has not gotten the memo that bikes are allowed on the road. I was riding on Murphy all the way to the right and got at least 6 honks, 3 yells, and one angry fist. There was not much traffic at the time and several empty lanes to my left. It was really ridiculous.

So you're sure critical mass is on for Friday? I ask because the web site is out of date. It lists the next mass ride as being Aug. 28.

http://houstoncriticalmass.com/

Fri Oct 18, 2009

HOUSTON - In a stunning turn of events today, Houston Police have decided to drop all charges against the youths charged with shooting Rice joggers with BBs following their loss in a debate with group ringleader Caitlin Barnett. "There's nobody better than us at catching criminals", said Houston police chief Harold Hurtt, "but forensics has never been our strong suit, debate or otherwise", a reference to the disastrous record at the Houston crime lab...

Fri Oct 18, 2009

HOUSTON - In a stunning turn of events today, Houston Police have decided to drop all charges against the youths charged with shooting Rice joggers with BBs following their loss in a debate with group ringleader Caitlin Barnett. "There's nobody better than us at catching criminals", said Houston police chief Harold Hutt, "but forensics has never been our strong suit, debate or otherwise", a reference to the disastrous record at the Houston crime lab...

I'm glad my office door is closed. Otherwise, my laughter would have revealed the fact I'm not doing anything productive right now.

If I ride on the sidewalk I have to stop every single block and check for cross traffic, because cars don't expect bikes to come flying off the sidewalk and will plow right through me. Actually, I have to stop at every blind driveway too, because drivers zip up to the edge of the road to check for traffic.

I'm of the opinion that you're MORE likely to get in a car vs. bicycle accident when you're on the sidewalk. Unless you're riding really slow. Which sort of negates the purpose of being on a bike, anyway. Take the lane, behave in a reasonable fashion, and you're usually OK out there.

I imagine Houston's event will be civilized.

San Francisco, Portland, and other west coast cities-that's a whole different story. Much larger groups as in several thousand that created gridlock, bikers intimidating drivers in stopped cars, police having to watch out in case of a riot, etc. Hopefully its not allowed anywhere in Texas.

I ride my bike every once in a while, drive as well, walk. I do it all, so I have sympathies for everyone. I don't know though, nobody is entitled to be above the law and that includes the rules of the road.

It's illegal for cars to pass bikes at 10 over the speed limit with inches to spare, too. Just pointing out that this gives us a chance to reciprocate the favor.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

What's the different between this, compared to a large group of "professional" bike riders like what I see out here in the 'burbs every weekend? I don't understand why this is even an issue? Is the group targeting busy intersections or trying to purposely slow/stop the flow of traffic? Is there a devious plot to the bike ride, or is it truly one of mass enjoyment?

Archived