Texadelphia At 5535 Memorial Dr.

longhornguy

FYI - Texadelphia off of Memorial (near Los Cucos, Tri on the Run, etc) is closing their doors. They cite parking as their reason for closing, really sucks for such a great place to watch football be closing for a petty reason.

Via email Thursday

Dear Loyal Texadelphia Patrons,

Regretfully, I must inform you that our location on Memorial Drive is no longer open for business. Ultimately, we were not able to overcome the obstacle presented by the lack of parking spaces available for our patrons during our busy lunch hours. We really do appreciate your support over the years that we served you there, and sincerely hope that you will visit us at our location on Westheimer soon. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you, and look forward to serving you again. With best wishes, we remain.

Very truly yours,

Willie Madden & The Texadelphia Team

That's not why they are closing. Parking is not great, but it is certainly not bad enough to close the doors if the store is otherwise successful. More likely, the lease is up and the owners used parking issues as a basis for lease concessions and the landlord did not bite, or the owners simply wanted to move or shut down and used parking as their excuse to do so.

Regardless, I won't miss their faux Philly cheesesteaks.

That's not why they are closing. Parking is not great, but it is certainly not bad enough to close the doors if the store is otherwise successful. More likely, the lease is up and the owners used parking issues as a basis for lease concessions and the landlord did not bite, or the owners simply wanted to move or shut down and used parking as their excuse to do so.

Yeah, the Texadelphia in Rice Village has even worse parking, but that's staying open, so something is suspicious. And since when has a bar on Washington Avenue closed because of the atrocious lack of parking. :lol:

Red, when are you opening onther cheesesteak place?

I didn't enjoy their sandwhiches much, but I did like to hang out there and watch the game.

Red, when are you opening onther cheesesteak place?

I didn't enjoy their sandwhiches much, but I did like to hang out there and watch the game.

When I get an investor to finance it. How much you got? :P

I agree that the layout of the place was decent. I just hated their bastardized version of a cheesesteak, too.

I agree their cheesesteak sandwich wasnt' great, but I've never had the real thing. Where can I get one? Someone said Jake's I think.

Although I've never been to Philly for the real thing, I've always enjoyed South Philly Steaks on Scott Street at Alabama (across the street from Robertson Stadium).

Jake's and South Philly turn out good cheesesteaks, but South Philly's in a better neighborhood!

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like they are working on the location where Texadelphia used to be. I drove by there to day and the "for lease" sign was gone and there was some type of permit sign hanging in the window. I didn't get out to see what it was due to the rain.

I also had lunch the other day at the 'delph on Westheimer. I wanted to find out a little more info about Memorial closing. A person who works there told me that no one that worked at the Memorial location had any indication that they were closing. The owner had a few of the employees from the other locations show up at 10:45 pm the day before they closed and work till 6 am moving everything they could out of the restaurant. He said the owner is planning to open up a sports bar somewhere else, I think he said near Sienna Plantation, and that he was trying to consolidate his assets. The worker said that the Memorial store was doing well and was actually out selling the location on Westheimer during the summer.

I sat at the bar while I was having lunch and the phone rang three or four differently times. Each time I heard the bartender say "no, sorry, the memorial location has closed". It has been a very unpopular closing. I think they feel that the crowd from memorial will drive to their Westheimer location. While I did do that a couple of days ago, I don't see it happening often. Seems like I was at the memorial location at least once a week, maybe more during football season. I will miss going there.

We live in the heights, anyone have any good recommendations for a "family friendly" sports bar?

It looks like they are working on the location where Texadelphia used to be. I drove by there to day and the "for lease" sign was gone and there was some type of permit sign hanging in the window. I didn't get out to see what it was due to the rain.

Poonks, it is going to be the newest MyFitFoods location and the first one with instore seating so one may dine in.

Poonks, it is going to be the newest MyFitFoods location and the first one with instore seating so one may dine in.

Sigh....... not to disparage MyFitFoods (I've never been to one, but I'm sure I'll check it out), was hoping for a replacement of sorts of The Delph.

Man, MyFitFoods is expanding like crazy. I've been going to them for a couple years now, always at the original S. Shepherd hole-in-the-wall location. Their prepared meals are actually pretty tasty for healthy foods, make great lunches. I had been going in for a few months a few minutes before their posted opening hours on the way to work as there was already staff there prepping food and accepting deliveries. Everyone was always super friendly until one morning a new guy gave me some attitude about expecting service before their regular hours even though the doors were open. It made me mad enough to quit going for awhile, then one day I ran into the owner Mario at a car club meeting I was attending. I told him my story and he gave me a handwritten note saying their store was "always open for a good customer like myself" along with his cellphone number if I ever had a problem again. He must have spoken to the staff because it's always been smiles since.

Oh, yes, I do remember you complaining about how Texadelphia isn't real cheesesteaks. In their defense, Red, they are Texadelphia's, and thus, exempt from the "Philadelphia standards" ^_^

And you also stated how Philly Connection was even worse. :wacko:

Now where in the heck am I going to send my husband to watch the Eagles?! I love the man dearly, but G*d forbid Donovan should fumble or some other Phantastic Philly Pheat should happen. I run through the house like a crazy woman telling the kids, "Only Daddy uses those words!"

They could have done some creative business activities too like call ahead orders, drive up deliveries, etc.

Now where in the heck am I going to send my husband to watch the Eagles?! I love the man dearly, but G*d forbid Donovan should fumble or some other Phantastic Philly Pheat should happen. I run through the house like a crazy woman telling the kids, "Only Daddy uses those words!"

You sound familiar. Are you my wife? No...the team is wrong, and I only do college football. Pro is for cursing about fantasy stats, college is for cursing about winning/losing.

I think they should put a wings place there - not BW3, their wings are tiny and horrible. Wings and Things does it right.

Sorry Poonks. Unlike Texadelphia, MyFitFoods is to help you lose weight. :)

Yeah, I get that, my displeasure with them closing had nothing to do with their menu selection. I liked their food, (they have plenty of healthy choices on their menu) but that's not why I went. It was a very family friendly sports bar. I'll miss having it so close, it was a great place to watch a game without having a ton of drunks cussing and yelling, that just wasn't the atmosphere there (at least not that I experienced). Regardless, it's gone. Good luck to myfitfoods. Look forward to checking it out.

• The title was changed to Texadelphia At 5535 Memorial Dr.

Archived