Television Shows

nativehou

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

As a newly divorced ad guy in 1964 he would be tempted by the new Mustang, but then would realize it was the wrong image and get a Buick Riviera or Ford Thunderbird. Maybe a Pontiac GTO, but that would probably be too boy racer.

Don Draper can drive any car he wants, as long as it's up my driveway.

Ha. That made me pee a little.

I've just finished season 3 on Netflix. I can't seem to locate it on AMC, using U-verse. I am officially hooked.

Ha. That made me pee a little.

I've just finished season 3 on Netflix. I can't seem to locate it on AMC, using U-verse. I am officially hooked.

Yay! I found AMC at Ch#795 and set the DVR to record Sundays @ 9p. I'm all set for season 4. I like the remote DVR progamming feature of U-verse. The show will also be broadcast on Times Square 07/25.

I think Don should drive an Oldsmobile Toronado (front wheel drive), but they didn't come along until '66. What year(s) will season 4 be set? Back then, I don't think people kept cars for more than 3 years or so, especially a Caddy. Is it because the cars were worn out or that the designs changed so drastically from year to year that it made previous models appear old and outdated?

Back then, I don't think people kept cars for more than 3 years or so, especially a Caddy. Is it because the cars were worn out or that the designs changed so drastically from year to year that it made previous models appear old and outdated?

Yes. People were smarter with their money then than they are now. They realized automobiles were an expense and not an investment, so they sold them while there was still resale value and before maintenance and other expenses started to rise too much. Leasing was very popular back in those days, most especially with higher end status symbol automobiles like the Cadillac. These days Americans place too much emphasis on the term ownership because they've been fooled into believing in its importance.

This thread is getting one-sided with my posts. :mellow:

Anyway, did anyone see the Series 4 opener? Thoughts?

I saw most of it, but the bad weather messed up my DVR and it was cut short. Don seemed somewhat dark and unlikeable. Peggy seems to have come out of her shell a bit.

I saw most of it, but the bad weather messed up my DVR and it was cut short. Don seemed somewhat dark and unlikeable. Peggy seems to have come out of her shell a bit.

The storm was really bad over at our place and knocked out the satellite feed 15 minutes in. Grrrr!!!! I think there is

a re-run tonight at 10. Of the few minutes I did see, it appears that Roger still has all the best (and entirely

inappropriate to our generation) lines. Don wins on charisma and general smoldering, but Roger is the guy I'd want to party with.

I get the impression that this episode was more level-setting than anything else. Would you agree?

The storm was really bad over at our place and knocked out the satellite feed 15 minutes in. Grrrr!!!! I think there is

a re-run tonight at 10. Of the few minutes I did see, it appears that Roger still has all the best (and entirely

inappropriate to our generation) lines. Don wins on charisma and general smoldering, but Roger is the guy I'd want to party with.

I get the impression that this episode was more level-setting than anything else. Would you agree?

Yes, I've set another recording for 10p CDT. I guess I'll reserve comment until I can see the episode through.

• 3 weeks later...

I gotta get this show from netflix, and start from the beginning. I loved the '60's look, furniture, architecture,...That will be right after I finish the 1970's BBC - Life on Mars series. It's a polyester trip.

• 2 weeks later...
"Don is losing touch with not only his life but with the world around him," Hamm tells Fresh Air host Terry Gross. "As the world is changing — as he's getting older and his circumstances are shifting — the old paradigms aren't working so much anymore."

Mad Men's fourth season, Hamm says, is "about redefining who you are: When you no longer have the perfect life and the perfect family and the perfect job and the perfect approach to every problem, when all of that stuff gets stripped away, who are you at the foundation?

Hamm says Draper's fundamental dishonesty — the fact that he stole a dead soldier's identity and has been living under that name for decades — needs to be addressed before any sort of real growth can happen. But it remains to be seen whether he's strong enough to actually do that.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129904576&sc=fb&cc=fp

• 3 months later...

I'm in the middle of season two. This show is great. What complex characters. Nice suits. The set is nice to see, how they've recreated everything. My favs are in the office bldg. : the atrium area, the few open stairs leading to the big boss,the tile work, frosted glass panels. Nice.

• 1 year later...

Just look at the later seasons of "Happy Days." Most of the cast quit using Bryllcreem and began sporting late 70's era hairstyles...for a show set in the late 50's!

'Happy Days' spawned the term 'Jump The Shark' to signify when a TV show essentially spits on its fan base by not even bothering to maintain any semblance of a suspension of disbelief. In this case, Fonzie agreed to...jump over a shark.

In truth, Chachi's feathered '70s hair cut ruined it for me long before that. A better term might be 'Bypass The Barber' (but three syllables will win over five every time).

Is it ironic that the term for an act of expediency stubbornly clings to its more expedient, less accurate variant?

• The title was changed to Television Shows

Anyone looking forward to any TV shows in 2020?  HBO has a few programs I'm looking forward to.  The Outsider and Curb your Enthusiasm will be premiering over the next few weeks.

I no longer subscribe to Showtime or Cinemax, but those channels have wonderful original series.  I used to be into Home Theater.  Kept up with the latest TV shows, etc.

Netflix is doing well.  I just watched the second season of Lost In Space. Looking forward to season 3!

Archived