Ted Kennedy dead at age 77

JLWM8609

This has been a summer of high-profile deaths. I wonder why so many. Coincidence, I suppose.

I'm too young to really have the attachment to Ted Kennedy that my parents generation does. My only personal point of reference comes from when I was a little baby news anchor and one day, for the life of me, I couldn't say his name. I kept saying, "Ked Tennedy" on the air. I have no idea why. I couldn't make it stop that day, but fortunately it never happened again.

I am no great fan of the Kennedy Klan, from Rum Runner Joe down to the latest crop. I never bought into the Camelot mystique, nor did I have any admiration for Jackie. They made and played by their own rules, and their initial political successes were shady, unethical and downright illegal.

I have never liked Teddy, even though I know he has served his constituents well.

That said, I believe he got a very raw deal from the Chappaquiddick fiasco. He handled the situation horribly, but he has basically kept his mouth shut even though I believe the evidence exonerates him.

I think he made advances on Mary Joe, or something that led to an argument, and then she drove off by herself in a state of hysteria and confusion down the road toward the bridge. I am totally convinced she was alone, and was driving the car when it went off the bridge.

I didn’t care for the man, but he didn’t, and doesn’t deserve the accusations many still make against him.

I agree that he got a bad rap. He would have never driven that way back to town.........it was the long way around. He tried to create a story that made himsef appear galant, but that didn't fly either. She may not have died if he had taken the keys away from her, but that's hindsight.

I'm not big on the Kennedy's either. They hated LBJ......even before that day in Dallas. LBJ may have been an SOB, but he was our SOB and president of the United States. The Kennedy's just couldn't get over that fact.

Archived